Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Gamestop threaten customers with Xbox kill bugs

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

I found this really interesting article over at Gamer Limit about a customer's experience with GameStop.

It looks like Gamestop employees are trying new tactics in their everlasting “get people to buy an in-store warranty” campaign. According to a customer, a Gamestop employee claimed Microsoft was sending out kill bugs for Xbox 360 consoles to fry their motherboards, and the only way to protect against this was to buy an in-store warranty. 

This can be another reason to hate them.  For the customer's full rant, hit the link.

Gamer Limit Link
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

lol. If that line has ever actually worked I would be surprised.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

I haven't read the article yet, but surely some portion of this must be fabricated.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ryax

OH GOLLY!!! i had no idea Microsoft would tr to kill their own system for gamestop's benefit! i better buy everything they ask me to.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Well to be quite frank, if anybody falls for this then they deserved it.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xandurson
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " lol. If that line has ever actually worked I would be surprised. "
    Yeah this is just ridiculous. Who the hell would believe that?

Also, this is not going to stop me from going to GameStop.
    BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By BiG_Weasel

If this were the case, then 2/3 of all 360 hardware failures could be blamed on not buying the extended warranty?  Really.   Oh, who am I kidding.  MS doesn't need a "kill switch" software program for their consoles, they did it to themselves already.

User_Hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By User_Hostile
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    " Well to be quite frank, if anybody falls for this then they deserved it. "
    Beat me to it.  Anyone stupid enough to fall for that deserves everything coming to them, apart from a labotomy.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jadeskye

Shit i think i feel a double ellipses coming on 

Yup, there it was.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Pinworm45
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    Yeah, every single parent who buys it for their kid, every single older person, or casual sports gamer who doesn't know any better has a god damn obligation to become like us and spend their times on forums and learning every single detail. 
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

When was the last time anyone actually paid any attention to what a Gamestop employee said? I go in, get what I came for, say "no" to whatever the kid has to say, and leave. If you even waste your time in conversation with the drone at the counter you deserve whatever you get.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

I read the article.  The "customer" who claims these tactics against Gamestop also claims he was a former assistant store manager at Gamestop and he also begins this accusation with the opening sentence "I typically avoid shopping at GameStop and have been doing a good job abstaining from buying anything from them for the past two years."  I'm the last one to say Gamestop is all sunshine and roses, but this stinks of disgruntled ex-employee to me.  

And, if anyone did believe that crap, then they deserve to be taken to the cleaners.  Who in their right mind believes that any company purposely sabotages their own products so that you'll buy a replacement or extended warranty from a third party retailer? 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

It's true I saw one of those bugs trying to attack my Xbox!!! Here's a picture...

No Caption Provided
    It's an assassin bug!
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Axxol said:
    " It's true I saw one of those bugs trying to attack my Xbox!!! Here's a picture...
    No Caption Provided
    It's an assassin bug! 
    I CAN SEE THE HATE IN ITS EYES!!
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Thats insane. 

Gamestop will never take my XBOX alive!... oh wait... I already got the warranty D:

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " It's true I saw one of those bugs trying to attack my Xbox!!! Here's a picture...
    No Caption Provided
    It's an assassin bug! 
    I CAN SEE THE HATE IN ITS EYES!! "
    The Xbox has no arms and legs to defend itself from these bugs... that's when those trusty Game Stop employees come in.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:
    Yeah, every single parent who buys it for their kid, every single older person, or casual sports gamer who doesn't know any better has a god damn obligation to become like us and spend their times on forums and learning every single detail.  "
    Took the words out of my mouth.  I understand that we may be somewhat immune to the tricks of slick-talking Gamestop employees, those not in the know are obliged to listen to those who supposedly know better.  I can just picture my mom picking up a game for my little brother and coming home say, "Oh, and it cost ten dollars more than you gave me because I had to buy the insurance!"
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I haven't read the article yet, but surely some portion of this must be fabricated. "
    Thats the first thing that came to my mind.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK
    @GamerGeek360 said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    Yeah this is just ridiculous. Who the hell would believe that?   "
    You'd be surprised.  
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Skald

GS and EB employees do some shady stuff to make a quick buck, but this is downright bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be false.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By apathylad
    @JJOR64 said:
    " I found this really interesting article over at Gamer Limit about a customer's experience with GameStop.

It looks like Gamestop employees are trying new tactics in their everlasting “get people to buy an in-store warranty” campaign. According to a customer, a Gamestop employee claimed Microsoft was sending out kill bugs for Xbox 360 consoles to fry their motherboards, and the only way to protect against this was to buy an in-store warranty. 

This can be another reason to hate them.  For the customer's full rant, hit the link.

Gamer Limit Link "
    The 'killbug' the employee alluded to were those stories about people who pirated games early getting their consoles locked. It's still stupid that the employee would tell a customer this though.
    RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RipTheVeins

Christ... everyone involved in that story is a friggin' idiot.  I'm glad that I'm lucky to have one of the only good Gamestops around, where the clerks are actually informed about the stuff they're selling and don't come across as elitist assholes.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJOR64
    @RipTheVeins said:
    " Christ... everyone involved in that story is a friggin' idiot.  I'm glad that I'm lucky to have one of the only good Gamestops around, where the clerks are actually informed about the stuff they're selling and don't come across as elitist assholes. "
    I have the same GameStop as well.  I haven't had any issues with my GameStop at all.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:
    Yeah, every single parent who buys it for their kid, every single older person, or casual sports gamer who doesn't know any better has a god damn obligation to become like us and spend their times on forums and learning every single detail.  "
    You don't have to spend a lot of time in internet forums to know that what the Gamestop employee said is daffy.  Just takes common sense.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

i actually heard something like this.  i don't think that it is true but i heard that they have a way to do it vie internet. it makes the 360 explode. it would only be done if piracy was really bad. i doubt there is actually a bug like that. 

i try and not go to gamestop because of things like that. i do research before buying new systems. when i bought my 360 in 07 it died like 5 months after purchasing it. i knew that the rrod was going to be bad so i did buy a warranty for it. i think that is the only time that i bought a warranty for something.

xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By xXwindoverXx

At Gamestop there are so many stupid employees and managers that think they can lie and get you when you're off your guard. But then people sue them! muwahahaha!
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karmum

That's cool, I guess. Haven't shopped there since February of 07 when I picked up my X360. Wonder if they programmed it to fry in late 2008?

Probably, bastards.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Capum15
    @jadeskye said:
    " ...  Shit i think i feel a double ellipses coming on  ...  Yup, there it was. "

That was pretty much my reaction too...

@Axxol said:
    No Caption Provided
    It's an assassin bug! "

I lol'd heartily.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'll be the first to admit that there are plenty of people who work at Gamestop who either know next to nothing about video games or who will tow the company line at any costs. I am not one of them. My entire store never sells any of those stupid GPGs simply because we know how stupid they are. The only people I even think about offering them to is a 360 owner because it will cover them if they get a burn ring. Please don't think that these morons represent all Gamestop employees.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FreakAche

Other than the typical "Did you pre-order at all?" that I sometimes get when I buy a game near launch, I've never gotten any crap from Gamestop employees.  I'm in Canada though, so maybe some of the quotas and rules are different.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By damnboyadvance

If anything like that happened to me, I just wouldn't buy the console there. I know about the pressures they face to sell warranties, and the humiliation Gamestop can put them through for not meeting a number, but this is just crazy. If an employee tells me that I have to do something like that, or that I am wrong about something like that, I'll just flat out leave, even if it's sold out everywhere else. Somebody like that isn't getting my money. Not for service like that.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @damnboyadvance said:
    " If anything like that happened to me, I just wouldn't buy the console there. I know about the pressures they face to sell warranties, and the humiliation Gamestop can put them through for not meeting a number, but this is just crazy. If an employee tells me that I have to do something like that, or that I am wrong about something like that, I'll just flat out leave, even if it's sold out everywhere else. Somebody like that isn't getting my money. Not for service like that. "
    Never heard of this happening before. Sound more like one employee being stupid. 
    thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thecleric
    @extremeradical said:
    " GS and EB employees do some shady stuff to make a quick buck, but this is downright bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be false. "
    If GS employees were trying to make a quick buck I ASSURE you they wouldn't work at minimum-wagestop
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sopranosfan

You mean people have to make up reasons for Microsoft's consoles to fail? 

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
    guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By guerrilla_mason

I dont really understand how these 'articles' bring such hate towards GameStop. It's one crazy dude being crazy. I was told at a Wal-Mart a couple years back the only way to get HD on my brand new tv was to get an HD antenna. Should I hate Wal-Mart because of this one crazy/misinformed guy? I know most responses to this will be I should hate Wal-Mart for yadda yadda, but I digress. I've never been harassed or talked to in this manner. I love going into the GameStop near me and I enjoyed my time working there.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dipstick

Not really that big of deal,people are wrong about stuff quite often.

I once heard a  manager at a Gamestop tell someone that Rock Band waspublished by EA Sports (LOL)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

When a rube buys snake oil its the rube's fault not the salesman.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By 234r2we232
    @ryanwho said:
    " When a rube buys snake oil its the rube's fault not the salesman. "
    Hm. That sounds like something a conman would say...
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By agentboolen

Damn thats insane!!!  If I was the guy helping the friend buy the Xbox 360 and he pressured us that much I would have probably kick the shit out of this kid!  If that is really the way it went down I hope GS workers don't start to use this tactic cause I will end up freaking out and beating a GS employee with the product I was buying from them.  I tend to go to Best Buy just because I have always found the GS workers to be a bit annoying, and besides they open up products to display them and then when down to the last few they'll re-package them and act like they were never opened!!!!  Man I hate that store.

BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BrokenCage
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:

Has nothing to do with being "like us." It has to do with being an intelligent human being. As someone pointed out, Microsoft isn't going to destroy their own console so Gamestop can profit. Furthermore, the legality of doing something like that would see Microsoft driven under by Class Action Lawsuits. None of this is a "Hardcore's know and casuals don't" issue, it's a matter of "This is how the world does and doesn't work," if they're adults, they should already know better. 

Now, a kid that saved up his money from a summer job and walked to the Gamestop...
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shirogane
    @BrokenCage said:
    "@Pinworm45 said:
    " @OllyOxenFree said:
    Has nothing to do with being "like us." It has to do with being an intelligent human being. As someone pointed out, Microsoft isn't going to destroy their own console so Gamestop can profit. Furthermore, the legality of doing something like that would see Microsoft driven under by Class Action Lawsuits. None of this is a "Hardcore's know and casuals don't" issue, it's a matter of "This is how the world does and doesn't work," if they're adults, they should already know better.  Now, a kid that saved up his money from a summer job and walked to the Gamestop... "

Quite true that all it takes is some scarp of intelligence, and a bit of thought, to know how stupid some of these things are. The problem is, most of the human race are idiots who'll believe anything you tell them without questioning it, no matter how dubious it sounds, as long as you're someone who seems like you have even a hint more knowledge/authoriy on the subject than them. 

And the problem with Gamestop is that they actively hire people like this, and not people who actually know stuff about their products, therefore there is a problem with Gamestop. And it's worse than other places cause they specialise in a very specific thing, whereas Wal-Mart and stuff have everything.
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jNerd
    @JJWeatherman said:
    Don't underestimate the naiveté of the every-day consumer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.