Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

I actually met a guy who LIKES the Game Room.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bluethunder35

I was talking to one of the clerks at EB, who's a very nice guy and very knowledgeable and whom I've known for years. Just so you know. 

He actually defended the Game Room. He feels that there is an audience for this, that there are people who would rather play primitive sports games over Madden and MLB: The Show. He feels that the achievement points and other superficial awards are worth it to some people. He might have a point but it's very difficult to take the Game Room seriously when "moldy oldies" that nobody would want to play like Combat or Space Armada are among the titles available. 

Right now, it seems only GB "cares" what goes on in the Game Room and the last video seemed to have an "Endurance Run" vibe to it. I'm probably going to buy Black Widow and Yie Ar King Fu but other than those two, there's nothing else that's worth buying. 

Have any of you actually met somebody who actually thinks the Game Room is a great idea?

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Linkin10362

Nope, never have and probably never will. I only bought one game on Game Room, but then stopped before my money disappeared buying more. I liked the idea a little, but not many I know do.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

My friend was excited for it and then since it came out, he's completely lost interest calling it a complete waste.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By wrecks

I've demoed every game, have yet to purchase a single one. The concept is solid, they just need to make more partnerships and release waaay better games. Arcade Games is what they should focus on. As it is now... nonsense.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By T0mF5

I think Game Room is a great idea,  but it isn't being executed well.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @T0mF5: Agreed. They need to bring out a cheap, official arcade stick or something and market the shit out of it alongside Game Room. I recently bought an arcade stick for my PS3 primarily for Street Fighter, but have been completely distracted by some of the older arcade games on there like Final Fight. They'd be garbage with a controller though. 

Game Room's a little more old school than that, though. Maybe too retro?
    Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Colin
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @T0mF5: Agreed. They need to bring out a cheap, official arcade stick or something and market the shit out of it alongside Game Room. I recently bought an arcade stick for my PS3 primarily for Street Fighter, but have been completely distracted by some of the older arcade games on there like Final Fight. They'd be garbage with a controller though.  Game Room's a little more old school than that, though. Maybe too retro? "

I have to agree.  They need newer games, not these super old games that really next to know one wants to play.
    Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hashbrowns

For me, it's really just the era of games that are available.  I wouldn't play a single game from that era, even for free.  Even the games that Jeff and company have good memories of just seem to be no fun what-so-ever.  Until Game Room moves into a more recent generation of games, I will remain completely apathetic.  Remember that guy from Microsoft talking about a Dreamcast emulator in the first Game Room interview?  I might have to wait until that happens to care. 

On the other hand, I really enjoy the Quick Looks, if only for educational and entertainment purposes.  I have no intention of playing those games myself, but it's nice to see them and know about them.
    Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Spence_5060

I like Game Room for what it is. I am a little disappointed with the content so far and wouldn't buy much of it for 3 dollars each, but I have bought a few.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10  Edited By Sin4profit
    @T0mF5 said:
    " I think Game Room is a great idea,  but it isn't being executed well. "
    this.

There seems to be difficulties with old arcade games and finding who currently owns licenses for them (would explain why they're just sticking with the few publishers; Atari, Activision, Konami, Intelivision). that could come into play, but yeah, with each release of Game Room content i grow more disappointed with it.

At this point i wonder if whoever seeks the licensing rights feels the need to bother as Game Room's "success" is debatable.

I'd love for them to raise it from the dead and even announce classic Pinball games to it but for now i guess MAME is the only place you can go for a fuller experience...ah, the beauty of piracy.
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bluethunder35

Could I wager that the Game Room is about as successful as PS Home to you guys? Home also could have been a good idea but it's ruined by the morons who inhabit it and the technology that might not just be ready to handle a  "Second Life" world. Lots of people like playing dress-up in there, though. At least for the most part, it's free. 

I do agree that they need better games and more games from other companies. It would also be nice if they could allow people who have bought Konami games from XBLA to play them in the arcade and amass superficial stuff but that will never happen. 

I would love to play K.C. Munchkin! I'd like to see that game appear in the Game Room.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Hashbrowns said:
    " For me, it's really just the era of games that are available.  I wouldn't play a single game from that era, even for free.  Even the games that Jeff and company have good memories of just seem to be no fun what-so-ever.  Until Game Room moves into a more recent generation of games, I will remain completely apathetic.  Remember that guy from Microsoft talking about a Dreamcast emulator in the first Game Room interview?  I might have to wait until that happens to care.  On the other hand, I really enjoy the Quick Looks, if only for educational and entertainment purposes.  I have no intention of playing those games myself, but it's nice to see them and know about them. "
    Game Room is all about nostalgia. A kid today that grew up with the 360 and PS3 would think the same thing about Dreamcast games as you do about 2600 games.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Ryax

of course there isn an audience for it. people who loved the atari and intellivision and the other shit they have can now play some of they games they muss

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

Game Room is an awesome idea, but the games are way too much.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By DJ_Lae

I still like the concept of Game Room, but am incredibly disappointed at the selection of games and the pricing model - as witnessed in the (hilarious) Quick Looks, most Atari and Intellivision games are garbage. Most were awful on release, and more still have fallen victim to time. Yet that's all they're dishing out now, and they're still charging way too much money for them. 

It should be subscription based, or the games should be cheaper (a buck a pop or something), or something. I realize they've got the emulation down for the 2600, the Intellivision, and a handful of that era arcade cabinets, but good lord put some effort into getting some late 80s early 90s arcade stuff on there. Even just playing through Capcom's collections on the PSP recently has made me realize that there are so many other good arcade games Microsoft could be mining rather than resorting to tossing out 2600 shit all the time. I'm sure there are licensing issues for some of the games, but geez.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

Game Room should've been a stand-alone product with like 200 of these arcade games included at a one-time cost of 50$. But the prices for each of these ass-old games are just so ridiculous. And I know that I would spend only a few minutes with these kinds of games so for me there's no point in paying that much for them.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody likes the ideas behind game room but at this point they are not releasing any of the games that people would go crazy for.

insania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By insania

I tried it once and never have since then. I got bored with it.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Mighty

I think it could have been a great idea, if they'd put some more mainstream games in it first.
    ItsAJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ItsAJackal

I'm going to mirror several other people here by saying it was a great idea but not executed well at all.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Azteck

I'm not sure my friends even know what it is so.. no. And neither am I.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By carlthenimrod

Game Room is a great idea. The price is keeping me away. Why does every game cost 3 dollars regardless of quality? Also, what is the deal with 50 cents to play a single ranked game? That is more then it used to be 20+ years ago!!

If the games cost a dollar or two and I could throw away 10 points on a single ranked game, I might be throwing away my spare Microsoft points in Game Room. Maybe they will have a price cut eventually or a sale.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Oldirtybearon

If they want Game Room to be successful, they need to license the games that would make people play it. 

I'm talking the Final Fights, WrestleFests, X-Men 6-player cabinet, all of the games that made Arcades the place to game in the 80's and 90's. Throw in something like Gauntlet or Golden Axe as well.  These are the games I (and many gamers) would open our wallets for. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince

I personally am not interested in stuff from the Atari 2600 or anything like that, but I'm sure he is right and that there are people out there who are interested in that sort of thing.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

The idea of Game Room shouldn't be in question. It's what Game Room has actually turned out to be that kinda sucks. If they released a Game Room branded arcade pack in stores with a classic joystick or something, that would be a start. Then of course release better games... 

I'm very happy with my Yars' Revenge purchase though.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vrikk

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that has heard of the Game Room in my small but quality gaming social circle... and the only reason I know about it is because I watch the videos on this site for bemusing entertainment along the lines of "Yeah, this is a good way for me to save money and avoid impulse digital buys".

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By apathylad

I haven't logged in to Game Room in a long time. I have no interest in buying those games, unless there was a cheap compilation package or something. 

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By RandomHero666

I think they missed a great opportunity with Game Room.
    I was under the impression I could go to someone else's arcade, walk around, and hand out with them.. or come over to their arcade and play some multiplayer games.

I can think of 3 games that are good, everything else is shite,
    No Tetris? No Space Invaders? No Geometry Wars? It's bullshit

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

The only way to play an Atari or Arcade game, is on an Atari or in an Arcade.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bluethunder35

I found my old Atari Anthology CD for the PC today. 80 games, pretty much all the Atari stuff MS will release on Game Room, on one CD. I'm not going to bother buying any Atari games from the Game Room now other than Black Widow, which plays much better with the two sticks on the 360. 

I got this disc, coincidentally, from a cereal box offering free games like this for buying said cereal. Maybe I should give it to the guy tomorrow. I already have the entire game installed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.