Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Media Extender

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pazy

Who uses there Xbox 360 as Media Extender?

Ive known about the feature for a while ive always ignored it but decided to give it a try a week ago. I found it to be easy to set up on both the Xbox 360 side and PC side though for me it ended up being a bit pointless since my PC is next to my bed and my TV (with consoles) are near the foot of my bed (tiny room lol). Though im actually having problems with it, the NXE localy runs fine but is slow when it comes to downloading but the media center interface is extremely slow and unresponsive, including freezing for minutes at a time then suddenly appearing the the music library or playing medai,  though when it actually gets to running media across the network it runs really well. 

Gripes aside does anyone actually use it as a media extender? I never hear anyone mention it, seems like a bullet point rather than an actual feature for most people.

absinthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By absinthetic

I tried it once around launch

i dont know how it is now but when I tried it, it was very limited in what types of video it could play

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By navyguy21
    @Pazy said:
    "

Ive known about the feature for a while ive always ignored it but decided to give it a try a week ago. I found it to be easy to set up on both the Xbox 360 side and PC side though for me it ended up being a bit pointless since my PC is next to my bed and my TV (with consoles) are near the foot of my bed (tiny room lol). Though im actually having problems with it, the NXE localy runs fine but is slow when it comes to downloading but the media center interface is extremely slow and unresponsive, including freezing for minutes at a time then suddenly appearing the the music library or playing medai,  though when it actually gets to running media across the network it runs really well. 

Gripes aside does anyone actually use it as a media extender? I never hear anyone mention it, seems like a bullet point rather than an actual feature for most people.

"
    Sounds like lack of RAM on your PC. Anyway, i use it alot with my computer, expecially since there are some great add ins
    NickNorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By NickNorman

I use it mainly to stream music while I play, although I have watched a movie or two. I don't use the Media Center Extender, though. I just stream music and .wmv videos.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Pazy
    @navyguy21 said:
    " @Pazy said:
    "

"
    Sounds like lack of RAM on your PC. Anyway, i use it alot with my computer, expecially since there are some great add ins "

A lack of Ram on my PC (though it needs a serious upgrade it currently has 2gb) is causing my 360 to freeze up during Media Center and not anything else? Wierd.

@NickNorman said:

" I use it mainly to stream music while I play, although I have watched a movie or two. I don't use the Media Center Extender, though. I just stream music and .wmv videos. "
    Media Center Extender is your actual Console (if you go into Media Center it says "Add Extender") so it say thats a yes lol but apparently its a rarity in the Giant Bomb community. Which seems to make sense since most people seem to have there 360 and PC in the same room so streaming is pointless, would only be helpful if your PC was in a diffrent room but you wanted to watch a film on your TV.

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Oy

I use it every so often.  I got my TV going through my PC so that's how I watch TV on my actual TV. Also, I've noticed some freezing when I use it as well.  It is definetly not the RAM in my PC (3GB).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.