Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

My 360 S makes a horrible buzzing whenever it reads Black Ops

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nemt

I just noticed this today, whenever my 360 S (bought it last December) turns on with Black Ops in the drive it makes a really loud buzzing sound during the game identification process.  Likewise it makes the same sound when returning to the dashboard or launching the game.  It's quiet when I play the game (it's installed to the HDD), but whenever it reads the disc it does this.  It doesn't make this sound with ANY other 360 game and I have a few dozen.

Any idea what could be going on?

It happens whether it's vertically or horizontally standing.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Strange that it only happens with Black Ops, but mine makes noise too. It seems to be vibration more than anything else. If you put your hand on the system, the sound should decrease. Maybe try placing it against a wall or something so that it vibrates less. Not sure what else to tell ya.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Getz

It's because the disc spinning is loud as hell. Some games are louder than others for whatever reason. S'funny, they fixed the loud-ass fan but the system still sounds like it's blending your disc every time it spins.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz
    @JJWeatherman: mine is actually louder when it's touching something. I just try to install as many things as I can.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Getz said:
    " @JJWeatherman: mine is actually louder when it's touching something. I just try to install as many things as I can. "
    Not a bad plan.
    nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nemt

I think you're on to something with that vibration thing.  I realized the system was very slightly hanging over the edge of my desk.  I pushed it over a little bit and now it's a lot quieter with Black Ops.  The disc is still louder than ME2 or Reach or anything else I play regularly, but it's not as terrible as before.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @nemt said:
    " I think you're on to something with that vibration thing.  I realized the system was very slightly hanging over the edge of my desk.  I pushed it over a little bit and now it's a lot quieter with Black Ops.  The game is still louder than ME2 or Reach or anything else I play regularly, but it's not as terrible. "
    Maybe you could craft some DIY noise reducer pads to set the system on. No idea if it would help, but it it's really annoying you, then it's probably worth a shot.

Maybe if you did some googling you could find a noise solution. There's some crafty people out there on those interwebz.
    nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nemt

I can deal with the noise, I have the game installed so I only hear it for a few seconds.  My main concern was something was damaged/loose inside or my drive was dying or something.  That would've pissed me off a lot as I just bought this thing (I had a LAUNCH 360 Premium before this with a severely jacked up drive - had to eject 5-10 times to get it to recognize any game).
    maximus_vi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maximus_vi

Sometimes it's just the disc. I remember buying a copy of Tiger Woods 09 -- this was before you could install games -- and it would make some god-awful grinding noise whenever  I played. I took it back to EB the next day, grabbed a new copy and never heard that horrible noise again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.