Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

tired of lag?

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoMate
    one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By one_2nd

If only online petitions worked..

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

i love that people are petitioning against internet infrastructure. 

What exactly do they hope to achieve? Getting the transatlantic internet cables relaid or something?

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Clembo

You are paying for p2p.  You think MS will give up milking people for crap and calling it good service?  Fat chance.  I'm sure they like money.

Consider this.  The popular PC game Team Fortress 2 has dedicated server support (well over 5000 active last time I checked and that was in the dead hours), cross game chat, team speak, mod support, a support team that actually respond to emails in less than a day, and all this for the grand total of... free.

It's all about standards, some companies would rather peddle mediocre for a ridiculous price shit while people who don't know any better gobble it up like rabid pigs at the trough.  I just wouldn't tolerate spending another god damn £35 on 12 months of a bland service that I could use to buy 3500 1p sweets (damn inflation).

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @jadeskye said:
    " i love that people are petitioning against internet infrastructure.  What exactly do they hope to achieve? Getting the transatlantic internet cables relaid or something? "
    I like how its aimed at gates. Like he is gonna really care 
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I'll give it a go, but probably won't make much of a difference.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " I like how its aimed at gates. Like he is gonna really care  "
    Bill's too busy trying to cure malaria to give a fuck about a bunch of dicks crying about the internets.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scarace360

how about a real paper petition

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By andrela

I want bigger tubes for my internets. This truck is too slow.

edit: The internet is not a truck.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

Uhhhh no.

Jeknod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeknod

petition was created by Halo2 and written by Evan Munn (TOPE1337@Yahoo.com)    

He's got 1337 in his email address, so you've got to take him seriously.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Clembo said:

" You are paying for p2p.  You think MS will give up milking people for crap and calling it good service?  Fat chance.  I'm sure they like money.  Consider this.  The popular PC game Team Fortress 2 has dedicated server support (well over 5000 active last time I checked and that was in the dead hours), cross game chat, team speak, mod support, a support team that actually respond to emails in less than a day, and all this for the grand total of... free.  It's all about standards, some companies would rather peddle mediocre for a ridiculous price shit while people who don't know any better gobble it up like rabid pigs at the trough.  I just wouldn't tolerate spending another god damn £35 on 12 months of a bland service that I could use to buy 3500 1p sweets (damn inflation). "

hmm released in 2007...so...your telling me all those servers will be there, the support team...ect in 2-3 years?  they specially wont be up once team fortress 3 is released at somepoint. but hey thats one game...we can say the same for all pc games right? you mean we can't? they all dont stay open? often closing down in 2-3 years? hmm really?

Please don't act like PC games, and online PC gaming are all that you are just trading a completely different set of problems for another...oh and dedicated servers? they have lag...dedicated servers do not remove lag, they dont make it like a lan, and dedicated servers give player advantage much like host advantage..physically close to the server, better equipment all give you an advantage so your just trading one problem for another.

and please stop using the idiotic p2p name, Its client server model, there is no such thing as p2p gaming unless you mean person to person direct connection like it used to be with the old baud modems.
    I have problems with lag sometimes...but I would have the same thing with a dedicated server, unless I sat my ass on a dedicated server all the time.  lets hope that dedicated server never goes down.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Honestly I don't think the petition makes a fair argument and I don't think the whole Starcraft/Blizzard analogy is applicable either. When you pay for Xbox LIVE you are paying for the service offered, you can't pay for one service and then complain that it's not a different service. Besides, if Microsoft did start setting up their own servers imagine what that would do to the price of Xbox LIVE subscriptions and even then they wouldn't really be solving the problem of lag in online games.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

online petitions don't work all that great. i don't think they are going to change since they are getting money from us and since the peer to peer works. 

i'm hoping that next generation they make servers like PC gaming has it. i would also like to have a list like in gears of war. i think that was the only game that had a server list to pick where to join. by having servers it might make it so people still play the game even longer online.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Cause the one for MW2 worked, right?

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Damien

I really don't get any lag on either online console, so it's prob you.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
     team fortress 3
    This looked really weird to me.
    Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Clembo
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @Clembo said:

" You are paying for p2p.  You think MS will give up milking people for crap and calling it good service?  Fat chance.  I'm sure they like money.  Consider this.  The popular PC game Team Fortress 2 has dedicated server support (well over 5000 active last time I checked and that was in the dead hours), cross game chat, team speak, mod support, a support team that actually respond to emails in less than a day, and all this for the grand total of... free.  It's all about standards, some companies would rather peddle mediocre for a ridiculous price shit while people who don't know any better gobble it up like rabid pigs at the trough.  I just wouldn't tolerate spending another god damn £35 on 12 months of a bland service that I could use to buy 3500 1p sweets (damn inflation). "

hmm released in 2007...so...your telling me all those servers will be there, the support team...ect in 2-3 years?  they specially wont be up once team fortress 3 is released at somepoint. but hey thats one game...we can say the same for all pc games right? you mean we can't? they all dont stay open? often closing down in 2-3 years? hmm really? Please don't act like PC games, and online PC gaming are all that you are just trading a completely different set of problems for another...oh and dedicated servers? they have lag...dedicated servers do not remove lag, they dont make it like a lan, and dedicated servers give player advantage much like host advantage..physically close to the server, better equipment all give you an advantage so your just trading one problem for another.  and please stop using the idiotic p2p name, Its client server model, there is no such thing as p2p gaming unless you mean person to person direct connection like it used to be with the old baud modems. I have problems with lag sometimes...but I would have the same thing with a dedicated server, unless I sat my ass on a dedicated server all the time.  lets hope that dedicated server never goes down. "
    Firstly, yes.  The servers will be there in considerable numbers for at least the next 10 years.  Have you heard of a game called Counterstrike?  Yeah.  It's those guys.  And Steam isn't going anywhere anytime soon, either, so support will remain constant.  The next Team Fortress is a matter of at least a decade off.  Xbox Live will die off sooner than this game will.

Dedicated servers do not remove lag for the user.  Local play still has some lag.  However the option of entering the lowest ping server is there for you at any time should you really care for it.  You could argue that matchmaking is an issue, but I have played on both PC and console games with matchmaking and I really feel it never really makes a difference.  If you face someone better you get better or get busy dying.  Matchmaking just slows the process down in favour of creating a consistancies with perpetual stats (something I really couldn't care for).

Talking as someone who actually knows what Steam is I believe I have at the very least refuted your rebuttal, while clearin up your misconceptions about what a dedicated server actually does.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ArchScabby

Who cares?  I don't have problems with lag.  The people who complain about it only complain about it because they know it's not running on servers.  If Microsoft said they were going to start running their online on their own servers, but kept it the same, all these idiots would stop complaining.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.