Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Studios

Company »

Also known as "Microsoft Games", "Microsoft Game Studios", and "Microsoft Studios", Xbox Game Studios is a primary subsidiary of the Microsoft Gaming division and handles publishing of their studios' games (including the Halo, Forza, and Gears of War series).

Microsoft wants to destroy used games forever in a evil way...

• 68 results
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By Dagbiker

@Doctorchimp said:

@believer258 said:

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

I think if a console is going to keep alive, it needs to have a physical media IMO.

Your opinion is wrong.

Your opinion is wrong because many, many people are still not connected to the internet. The number of people that cannot fathom the vast number of console gamers who still have subpar or no internet connection baffles me.

The PSPGo really isn't a good counterexample, though, because it was far more expensive than an equivalent counterpart and it didn't support physical games that many people already had, something that said counterpart did.

What? What sort of person buys a brand new console, but doesn't at least have cheap DSL in their home?

And then you change your stance to now it's subpar internet...

If it's subpar surely they can still buy a physical disk and install it to their hard drive and connect it to the internet just to punch in a CD Key, that wouldn't affect their bandwidth and they wouldn't wait 10 hours for a download.

What makes you think they would go digital only? PC games haven't even gone that route. You can still buy boxed copies of PC games.

22 percent of Playstation owners havent connected their Playstation to Psn.

27 percent of Xboxes have never connected to Xbox live.

46 percent of Wiis have never connected to mother brain.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Dagbiker: What percentage of that is people who couldn't be bothered to connect it to the internet?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Dagbiker

@Doctorchimp said:

@Dagbiker: What percentage of that is people who couldn't be bothered to connect it to the internet?

I dont know, All im saying is that is a pretty big number.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Dagbiker said:

@Doctorchimp said:

All I'm saying is I doubt that number is remotely close to the number of people who have consoles and have internet access. I have a friend who doesn't have his PS3 connected to the internet when it's in his room.

That has nothing to do with not having broadband, the wi-fi signal is just too weak and he doesn't want to run cord.

A lot of people just have a modem with no router, so the idea of connecting more objects other than the computer is foreign. That doesn't mean all those don't have access or that 22 percent of gamers who could buy the next generation of consoles simply won't because of internet issues.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Dagbiker

@Doctorchimp said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Doctorchimp said:

All I'm saying is I doubt that number is remotely close to the number of people who have consoles and have internet access. I have a friend who doesn't have his PS3 connected to the internet when it's in his room.

That has nothing to do with not having broadband, the wi-fi signal is just too weak and he doesn't want to run cord.

A lot of people just have a modem with no router, so the idea of connecting more objects other than the computer is foreign. That doesn't mean all those don't have access or that 22 percent of gamers who could buy the next generation of consoles simply won't because of internet issues.

I never said any of that, I was just stating some numbers.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By spartanlolz92

i doubt the rumors true there were alot of crazy ones floating around before this generation came around

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MoseSSesoM

@Jay444111 said:

I would NOT buy something this awful if they were going to do it.

You bought a PC didn't you?

aretak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By aretak
    @Dagbiker said:

Do you actually know how steam works, you don't have to be online to play video games

In theory. Steam's offline mode is pretty flaky though in my experience. My broadband went down for a couple of days some months back and I found I couldn't play Football Manager 2012 because Steam simply refused to put itself in offline mode no matter how many times I tried restarting it and clicking the button.
    weaponofchoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By weaponofchoice

There was similar rumors when the PS3 was about to be released. Every site was reporting that SONY had some technology that could lock out used/pirated games. If I can remember correctly, they were rumors that you wouldn't even be able to play a friends copy of the game because every system would "lock" the disc. If the industry didn't do it then, I don't see them doing it now. Besides all that, I'm pretty sure Gamestop would plead as much as possible to Microsoft to allow xbox to play used games. They are a huge part of the video game industry wether we like them or not.

Kinect 2 doesn't surprise me, Kinect is successful for MS, and even at this point they might be in too deep already to just drop it completely. At the least I would hope Kinect 2 is bundled with the new system. It would suck if everyone had to buy another kinect device.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By FreakAche

@Damolition said:

I think the real news here is Kinect 2. My face started twitching when I read that.

That's barely news. It was pretty obvious that they'd release a second generation of the Kinect hardware at some point.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MikeGosot

Sounds like the guy writing was just making things up and saying "THIS IS A POSSIBILITY I DUNNO HOW IT WORKS I HAVE SOURCES".

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MikkaQ

Between Apple's iOS and stores locking content to your account, and Steam doing the very same thing, it makes some degree of sense to implement a sort of CD key system. Actually if you look at all the devs putting online passes into their games I'd be surprised if Microsoft gave developers and publishers the option to lock out all content unless you have a CD-key.

Besides the publishers could always gain an additional revenue stream in selling re-activation keys to gamestop themselves. Under a system like that gamestop would have to pay for the license to sell used games from a publisher, and they still get payed for used game sales. Of course that means gamestop would have to make used games cost more, or lose money but either way is fine by me. Fuck 'em.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Rohok

I doubt this will happen.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

The hate on the used market is misplaced; I buy used for consoles because of the price, and because I tend to be late coming to the marketplace because of how long it takes me to save up the cash for the systems. If I could pick up an older game brand-spanking-new at the same price as a used game, I would do so in a heartbeat every time. I simply can't participate in the market when prices stay so high, though. It's a matter of economics.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By Justin258

@Doctorchimp said:

@believer258 said:

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

I think if a console is going to keep alive, it needs to have a physical media IMO.

Your opinion is wrong.

Your opinion is wrong because many, many people are still not connected to the internet. The number of people that cannot fathom the vast number of console gamers who still have subpar or no internet connection baffles me.

The PSPGo really isn't a good counterexample, though, because it was far more expensive than an equivalent counterpart and it didn't support physical games that many people already had, something that said counterpart did.

What? What sort of person buys a brand new console, but doesn't at least have cheap DSL in their home?

And then you change your stance to now it's subpar internet...

If it's subpar surely they can still buy a physical disk and install it to their hard drive and connect it to the internet just to punch in a CD Key, that wouldn't affect their bandwidth and they wouldn't wait 10 hours for a download.

What makes you think they would go digital only? PC games haven't even gone that route. You can still buy boxed copies of PC games.

Look at the earlier quotes. Jay said that if a console is going to be kept alive, it needs to have a physical media. That does not exclude digital media, it just means that games must be present physically for it to sell well. The next person just told him that he is flat out wrong with no justification whatsoever.

There exists a sizable amount of the console gaming market that can't connect their console to the internet because they don't have internet, they only have a modem and no wireless capabilities, or just plain won't take the time to figure it out. These people will still buy a console even though they never plan to get on XBL or PSN. Yes, it happens and yes, cutting those people out of the picture will cut some profits out of Microsoft's and Sony's paycheck. Enough for those companies to pay attention to that share of the market.

I am not saying that next generation won't have all of their games available digitally; I'm saying that next generation will either have games available physically or suffer profit losses.

If you told me that fifteen years from now, we would all be downloading movies, music, and games instead of buying a physical copy, I could believe you. But now, even though we are on the brink of that capability, it won't happen for a while. And even then, some people just prefer physical copies.

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

@Rohok said:

I doubt this will happen.

@believer258 said:

There exists a sizable amount of the console gaming market that can't connect their console to the internet because they don't have internet, they only have a modem and no wireless capabilities, or just plain won't take the time to figure it out. These people will still buy a console even though they never plan to get on XBL or PSN. Yes, it happens and yes, cutting those people out of the picture will cut some profits out of Microsoft's and Sony's paycheck. Enough for those companies to pay attention to that share of the market.

I am not saying that next generation won't have all of their games available digitally; I'm saying that next generation will either have games available physically or suffer profit losses.

If you told me that fifteen years from now, we would all be downloading movies, music, and games instead of buying a physical copy, I could believe you. But now, even though we are on the brink of that capability, it won't happen for a while. And even then, some people just prefer physical copies.

As someone without proper access to the enjoyment of XBLA, Steam, etc., I can wholeheartedly agree. Excellent point. Buying a physical copy of games, movies, etc is no different from people who enjoy a Kindle or Nook but still appreciate buying a real book to hold, and bend. It should be a matter of preference instead of availability, sometimes.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By DarthOrange

@PulledaBrad said:

@DarthOrange said:

@Jay444111 said:

Your opinion is wrong.

Hows that PSP Go treating you?

Great thanks for asking. :)

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By jjnen

This topic's title is fucking retarded. Stop trolling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.