Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Don Mattrick "We're over-delivering value"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-defends-xbox-one-500-price-point-were-over-delivering-value-6410352

Whichever console your leaning on and have alligned yourself with, im sure we can agree on one thing, someone needs to make don mattrick shut up.

he's apparently speaking out and defending the price point of the xbox one, saying that its a reasonable price......im just gonna post the quote from don mattrick here.

"It's a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," Mattrick said on Bloomberg TV.

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product these days you look at it [and] $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it."

Competitor Sony will offer its PlayStation 4 at $400 this holiday season, but Mattrick believes consumers will choose Xbox One for its suite of exclusive services and applications like an improved Xbox Live, as well as Skype, Twitch TV, SmartGlass, and Kinect.

THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS of value folks,

even though its a crazy comparison, i do get where he's coming from when he says when compared to other electronics $499 isnt too bad,

but saying consumers are getting THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS of value...............jesus

Microsoft's hubris is quite fascinating to see on display,

ultimately curious to see if it pays off for them and if nasty policies and ok exclusives (except titanfall) be dammned, and this thing takes off due to the "shiny appeal" of controlling your tv and changing inputs with your voice.

or if they become the sony of 2006 this gen.

also if you're tired of seeing the "internet hivemind" response to the xbox one, why are you even clicking on the thread or even posting in this thread.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's interesting how projections before E3 put the system around $500, but now everyone's losing their shit.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

@csl316: They're losing their shit because the competition managed to put out a superior (opinion) option for $100 less, not because the box is $500. If they both cost the same, everyone would have shrugged.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think people are reaching with this particular comment. There have been many others that have been way worse coming out of their reveal all the way to E3 and this one just seems like the dude is pimping his box, which he should because it's his job. It's when you get to all the policy stuff where they've fucked up the messaging.

I feel like Mattrick and most of the people over at the Xbox division have a passion for this industry but over the last say 2-3 years they have been really bad on the PR front. Seriously have a company wide meeting, discuss how to handle discussions on your platforms and make sure everyone is on message and not sounding arrogant.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I think this is hardly a scandalous comment from Mattrick. Posts like this make me think that people have never listened to game companies or hardware developers before. It's like they just woke up to how overblown or overconfident comments from them can be about consoles or games, but then, they're only focusing on the evil of the week.

I'd say Mattrick was surprisingly level-headed on it. ha. Microsoft says the Xbox One is worth thousands; Sony said the PS3 was -priceless-. ;)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I think this is hardly a scandalous comment from Mattrick. Posts like this make me think that people have never listened to game companies or hardware developers before. It's like they just woke up to how overblown or overconfident comments from them can be about consoles or games, but then, they're only focusing on the evil of the week.

I'd say Mattrick was surprisingly level-headed on it. ha. Microsoft says the Xbox One is worth thousands; Sony said the PS3 was -priceless-. ;)

its people riding off E3, and its been soo long since the last beginning of a console's life also. so this is like a big E3 for a new generation of internet users id think.

there is some truth to what you say though, as sony had this same hubris in the beginning of the ps3 cycle.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kkotd

Just think, this could be like the Home Shopping Channel, 'Well, you see here, we have the marvelous and dynasty Xbox One Day 1 Launch console, now this would typically retail for $2799.99 but for today only, we're going to knock that value down to $499.99, that's nearly a savings of $2300!'

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

its people riding off E3, and its been soo long since the last beginning of a console's life also. so this is like a big E3 for a new generation of internet users id think.

there is some truth to what you say though, as sony had this same hubris in the beginning of the ps3 cycle.

But cmon now dont you think your going over-board with the "X Microsoft employee said this" thread twice a day?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like a use car salesman to me but likewise I doubt he is trying to be my friend pointing that out.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm absolutely serious when I say: I wonder how the XONE will sell on QVC. I remember when 50 Cent came out with his headphones, and shit sold quick.

Loading Video...
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

But cmon now dont you think your going over-board with the "X Microsoft employee said this" thread twice a day?

That's fair. This wasn't a particularly heinous comment anyways.

That 360 thing though. Oof.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrfluke

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

i made only 2-3 threads,

as much as i personally hate the policies, im not specifically making this to hear people shit on microsoft some more, im more interested to see what the general reaction this crowd has to this news, good or bad.

dude, ultimately if these are bothering you so much, vote with your clicks and comments and Dont click or comment on them, and then the thread will get buried , simple as that.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mikewarrior

All I see is a very arrogant Microsoft trying to force their ideas like it's what I want but I don't know it yet.

Microsoft just keeps on insulting people's intelligence with more of their BS

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

i made only 2-3 threads,

as much as i personally hate the policies, im not specifically making this to hear people shit on microsoft some more, im more interested to see what the general reaction this crowd has to this news, good or bad.

dude, ultimately if these are bothering you so much, vote with your clicks and comments and Dont click or comment on them, and then the thread will get buried , simple as that.

But if I don't like them shouldn't I also be able to comment on that fact?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JasonR86

lol.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

Yeah, The_Laughing_Man, Darji, and a few others really seem to be a bit thread and post happy with a new post for every single thing that could possibly be mocked about the Xbox One right now. We really just need a "Dumb Shit About the Xbox One" thread to pull them all together. Or a "Repost Anti-Xbox One NeoGAF Threads Here" thread. I don't think I've ever seen NeoGAF referenced more often on Giant Bomb.

I mean, I can absolutely understand preferring the PS4 over the Xbox One, as I'm definitely leaning that way, but we don't need a few new threads every day that are basically just launching points for people mocking Microsoft and the Xbox One. Comes off as kind of "Console Wars"-y after a certain point.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrfluke

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

i made only 2-3 threads,

But if I don't like them shouldn't I also be able to comment on that fact?

true, no snark, thats the power of opinions,

but all im saying is you'ill just be surfacing up threads you dont like.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Oh, Christ. Guys, Mattrick's been possessed by the deranged spirit of Ken Kutaragi. Someone call an exorcist.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

Yeah, The_Laughing_Man, Darji, and a few others really seem to be a bit thread and post happy with a new post for every single thing that could possibly be mocked about the Xbox One right now. We really just need a "Dumb Shit About the Xbox One" thread to pull them all together. Or a "Repost Anti-Xbox One NeoGAF Threads Here" thread. I don't think I've ever seen NeoGAF referenced more often on Giant Bomb.

I mean, I can absolutely understand preferring the PS4 over the Xbox One, as I'm definitely leaning that way, but we don't need a few new threads every day that are basically just launching points for people mocking Microsoft and the Xbox One. Comes off as kind of "Console Wars"-y after a certain point.

The_Laughing_Man? If anything hes been trying to defend the Xbone. Unless you just mean always posting in threads about the Xbone then yeah hes been in alot of them.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OGinOR

@truthtellah: You stop being reasonable right this instant, sir! ;)

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@aegon said:

Already made a thread about it.

I'm locking this down since there was an earlier thread about it.

However, I'll also say that we really are seeing too many of these threads with straight reposts of content from Kotaku, NeoGAF, et al. without any additional context or input from the OP (not pointing fingers at any threads/users in particular). There's certainly something worth discussing in a lot of them, but we generally prefer less "spammy" threads where the original poster puts in a little extra effort to kickstart the conversation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.