Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Info Dump about Always online,Kinect, and DRM.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

So Nelson just posted a link to 3 different pages about some of the most asked questions about the system.

Used game info

Kinect

Allways online

Short versions are.

No fee for used games

Kinect Can be turned off

On your main console you have to log in once every 24 hours (This I think is stupid as hell)

After reading it all some of the things seem cool some of them not so much. Sadly all this info should have been open to the public day one of the X1 announcement.

The Family game library thing is pretty cool. But I will admit a lot of this stinks of backlash toss togetherness. They really do have some nice ideas but the always online thing is stupid. But maybe the once every 24 hours thing can work out.

I am curious about the giving games to friends. It does not "Say" it but lets say I have Forza on my system with not disk (Bought via online) Can I just give that copy to them? Or is a disk needed?

But again some of this reeks of poor upfront planning and not giving out enough information and damage control in full gear.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Good to finally have it out there, even at the cost of the brave men and women that made those other threads ;_;7

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By bassman2112

Honestly, this is not nearly as bad as what people were anticipating, so color me content. I still won't be picking up an Xbone; but hopefully this brings about less vitriol towards Microsoft.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I think aside from the 24 hour check in this is all pretty great news. Now people can put down their torches and pitchforks and we can watch for the games at E3. (not that anybody WILL put down their torches and pitchforks.)

I'm actually surprised at how they're dealing with used games, I thought for sure they'd be attaching a fee to that but it's nice to see they aren't. I rarely buy used games and I'll be going digital as much as possible but still for people that do, it's good they have that option.

The only problem with this is darji doesn't have nearly as much ammo to post his daily anti-MS threads. Shame.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*avidly reads all pages!!*

also, you beat me by MOMENTS :D (took me a while to figure out a title I wanted, then BOOM)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Most of that seems pretty neat. It's a new generation and each time we move forward there are some things that get left behind.

Nice move to put an emphasis that enabling game reselling is up to the publisher which will essentially take any blame off Microsoft and put it on the publisher when a game isn't available for resale.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Honestly, this is not nearly as bad as what people were anticipating, so color me content. I still won't be picking up an Xbone; but hopefully this brings about less vitriol towards Microsoft.

And that is what hurt MS. Not enough information and to much conflicting information.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

also, you beat me by MOMENTS :D (took me a while to figure out a title I wanted, then BOOM)

Being ADHD has it perks. Had all three pages open at once and was reading across the screen.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@the_laughing_man: If they don't treat downloaded games the same as physical games that would be unwise to say the least.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Cirdain

No fee for used games

I personally didn't care but it appears to be something other people care about. So, the PS4 will have to have the same policy too. If people download more than they retail buy then the used game market will decrease slightly.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassman2112 said:

And that is what hurt MS. Not enough information and to much conflicting information.

Which seems like one of the reasons they would cancel the roundtables n' stuff.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PHenry1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PHenry1991

Now *claps hands* why was this so hard to say earlier?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@benny said:

@the_laughing_man: If they don't treat downloaded games the same as physical games that would be unwise to say the least.

With that 1k friends limit I wanna guess you need a disk.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Being ADHD has it perks. Had all three pages open at once and was reading across the screen.

The better man won, I must say :D

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they had different plans until people lost their shit?

The every 24 hours thing is incredibly stupid though.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bassman2112

Here is one of the clauses that has me scratching my head:

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

"can only be given once," that is still pretty damn restrictive; but it's better than nothing.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

"can only be given once," that is still pretty damn restrictive; but it's better than nothing.

But does that mean YOU can give the game once or that game can be given once?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

@phenry1991 said:

Maybe they had different plans until people lost their shit?

The every 24 hours thing is incredibly stupid though.

That's what I was thinking. If that's the case it kinda makes me wonder about my policy of people freaking out on the internet. I think the rage and vitriol when there's no clear answer is really premature and stupid, but at the same time if they saw that and backed off on some of the restrictions...maybe it's a good thing?

And now I don't know how to feel about anything.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassman2112 said:

And is that the digital copy? Or the disc as well? Will Gamestop have to verify each disc has never been traded in?

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: "Each game can only be given once."

I read that as the game itself - like inputting a serial code, and then that serial can be transferred once and then it is locked.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Glad to hear about the first 2 points.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why cancel the round table then ?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By connerthekewlkid
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: "Each game can only be given once."

I read that as the game itself - like inputting a serial code, and then that serial can be transferred once and then it is locked.

I wonder if that means you can sneak over copies of games to another country. Like a unedited version of L4D to the UK.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bassman2112 said:

IT won't hurt them in the long run because before November rolls around this information will get regurgitated ten times over with even more nuances being addressed and clarified. By that time no one will even remember this "fiasco" that caused so much outrage. We might mention how they didn't give out enough info at that silly Pre E3 conference but that will be it.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@bassman2112 said:

IT won't hurt them in the long run because before November rolls around this information will get regurgitated ten times over with even more nuances being addressed and clarified. By that time no one will even remember this "fiasco" that caused so much outrage. We might mention how they didn't give out enough info at that silly Pre E3 conference but that will be it.

I still think that conference was made up in a week end as a little ' Hey we got stuff to" Thing.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: I guess that all depends on region locking =/ And, as @barrock was saying, whether or not it is for physical discs or not (I have no clue, and it doesn't seem to specify)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: I guess that all depends on region locking =/ And, as @barrock was saying, whether or not it is for physical discs or not (I have no clue, and it doesn't seem to specify)

*Pssst* Hey buddy..I got...this...Unedited version of Dead Island..you...wanna buy it? Ya man..its clean...no censoring at all. Pure cut.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

This entire thing was about who would blink first on this. We still don't know what Sony is up to on this front but it SEEMS at least that you can be offline to play games. Lets not forget here that Microsoft was the company that made the original Xbox Broadband only in a time when Broadband penetration was pretty low. If anything I'll give Microsoft that they have the balls to drag people screaming into the future whether they want it or not.

I wouldn't count Microsoft out on this just yet. I know I'm personally not interested in the XBone but I think the console will do just fine.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@barrock said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@bassman2112 said:

And is that the digital copy? Or the disc as well? Will Gamestop have to verify each disc has never been traded in?

Can you even get "given" the game back? Ahahaha

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There are two things that still confuse me

• Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One.

I wonder what the restrictions are for a Family, they need to be pretty demanding if they dont want a similar situation to PS3's gamesharing flaw.

and

• Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Does this mean that i can only lend out my game only once or can only one person recieve the lent game once while leaving the game free to be borrowed to other people.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

See, all of this is fine.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SomeJerk

Sony's stated the goal of the PS4 being perfectly usable offline, but we'll see about cranky publishers. Capcom's been the prime asshole making PSN versions of many of their games require a steady online access.

I bet Polygon's going to spin this set of news in a retarded way.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@thebunnyhunter said:

There are two things that still confuse me

• Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One.

I wonder what the restrictions are for a Family, they need to be pretty demanding if they dont want a similar situation to PS3's gamesharing flaw.

and

• Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Does this mean that i can only lend out my game only once or can only one person recieve the lent game once while leaving the game free to be borrowed to other people.

The first one I wanna say it will fall under that "Family pack gold thing" Or maybe you can enter certain gamer tags to be seen as "Family"

As for that I wanna say its you share a game once and its then locked to that persons system and can not be re shared.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ok. So what do consumers on the Xbox One platform get in return for these policies?

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: For what it's worth, this article states:

"At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.) Apologies for missing that during our attempts to clarify just how similar or dissimilar Sony's next-gen policies are from Microsoft's."

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I would definitely rather not have to "check in" on my Xbox every day I want to play it... I don't remember a time since I had my 360 + PS3 where I just played a game offline all day. I was connected for at least one second of 99% of every gaming sessions I've had with both my 360 and PS3 so I honestly don't think it'll get in the way at all. And I mean, I can see why they do it. If not you could just install the game, go offline, and give the disc to your friend. Rinse and repeat. It makes sense. The tradeoff is playing disc based games without the disc, less heat and work for the system to spin the disc and use moving parts. Great.

Also, some of the ideas they are doing are really interesting, like being able to play the games you own at a friends house with your ID. That's really amazing!

I'm really pumped for the Xbox One now!

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: For what it's worth, this article states:

"At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.) Apologies for missing that during our attempts to clarify just how similar or dissimilar Sony's next-gen policies are from Microsoft's."

So it will come down to what the publishers say?

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Nezza

"Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you."

Change 'games' to 'blu-rays' or 'DVDs' to see how incredibly ridiculous it is that it even got to a point where that needed clarification.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to seeing people complain about this for weeks or months and then post their experiences with their shiny new Xbox One on launch day.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

While I would definitely rather not have to "check in" on my Xbox every day I want to play it... I don't remember a time since I had my 360 + PS3 where I just played a game offline all day. I was connected for at least one second of 99% of every gaming sessions I've had with both my 360 and PS3 so I honestly don't think it'll get in the way at all. And I mean, I can see why they do it. If not you could just install the game, go offline, and give the disc to your friend. Rinse and repeat. It makes sense. The tradeoff is playing disc based games without the disc, less heat and work for the system to spin the disc and use moving parts. Great.

Also, some of the ideas they are doing are really interesting, like being able to play the games you own at a friends house with your ID. That's really amazing!

Yeah I'd have to say the same I'm trying to think of the worst case scenario for me personally where I couldn't get online or even turn my phone into a hotspot for the 30 seconds or whatever it takes to check in and all I can think of is like, a cottage way up hell and gone with no signal. I realize that's not everybodys situation but for me I don't think it's gonna be an issue.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@xyzygy said:

Yeah I'd have to say the same I'm trying to think of the worst case scenario for me personally where I couldn't get online or even turn my phone into a hotspot for the 30 seconds or whatever it takes to check in and all I can think of is like, a cottage way up hell and gone with no signal. I realize that's not everybodys situation but for me I don't think it's gonna be an issue.

I think the MS people are to into the "Everyone has internet" Idea.

And how long does it have to be connected? If its like " Ping" your done that maybe thats ok. Then ya your mobile hotspot idea might work.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can only lend/loan a game once,

for one hour.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I can see companies like Gamestop having to implement new warnings when they resell games. They will probably have to give you a warning like, "since this game was pre-owned, you cannot give this game away. You are it's last owner. You cannot sell this game back to us or even give it to anyone."

Although it would suck if you got home and found out that you are actually the third owner and can't play the game you just bought.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: I doubt a company as big as Microsoft puts anything together in a weekend. More likely it was just a misconception of what the public was expecting and poor internal communication, which in a company of this size is both understandable and baffling at the same time. I do think they misjudged the impact of the conference and were planning to release all this info at E3 but due to such a strong push from the community they haphazardly started realeasing info without going through a series of tedious all hands on deck meetings, and as a result we got a bunch of conflicting information.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesoutherndandy said:

@xyzygy said:

I think the MS people are to into the "Everyone has internet" Idea.

And how long does it have to be connected? If its like " Ping" your done that maybe thats ok. Then ya your mobile hotspot idea might work.

I would hope so, even on 360 system and title updates are pretty speedy especially compared to PSN. I can't see a system check taking very long. Not that I have any basis for that but it would extra suck if it took like ten minutes to run through.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man: I doubt a company as big as Microsoft puts anything together in a weekend. More likely it was just a misconception of what the public was expecting and poor internal communication, which in a company of this size is both understandable and baffling at the same time. I do think they misjudged the impact of the conference and were planning to release all this info at E3 but due to such a strong push from the community they haphazardly started realeasing info without going through a series of tedious all hands on deck meetings, and as a result we got a bunch of conflicting information.

So intentions where good but not everyone got the memo.

@xyzygy said:

Also I can see companies like Gamestop having to implement new warnings when they resell games. They will probably have to give you a warning like, "since this game was pre-owned, you cannot give this game away. You are it's last owner. You cannot sell this game back to us or even give it to anyone."

Although it would suck if you got home and found out that you are actually the third owner and can't play the game you just bought.

Re reading it all I wanna say that game retailers will have a way to "Check" a game back in And that the "Give a game" Thing is a transfer from one gamer tag to another and not disk related.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.