Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Just got Xboned

Rasdaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Barely got done contacting xbox support. My xbox one controller was working fine hours ago. It wouldn't turn on, or charge. Did all the troubleshooting and they offered that I could send it in. The offer was taken off the table when I mentioned that at one point, I opened up my controller because my joysticks were drifting, and I cleaned them out with a q-tip to fix the problem. That was considered "tampering." I understand they don't want controllers that were set to explode when they get to microsoft, but all I did was clean under the joysticks so they wouldn't get stuck.

Unfortunately, I wont be able to afford a new controller anytime soon since my work has been cutting hours, but I think I may put investing more money in xbox on hold.

What do you guys think? Am I overreacting? Am I underreacting? Do you agree, or disagree with their policy on this one? Should I kill myself for posting on an online forum?

Discuss!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Did they get your information? If not, try calling again and next time don't tell them you did something that voided the warranty.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Opening it up most likely voids the warranty. Sometimes they'll be lenient about that sort of thing, and if you didn't tell them then you would've been fine.

A warranty is meant to replace a defective product, and the logic is that if you opened it up you could've messed something up.

Rasdaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Did they get your information? If not, try calling again and next time don't tell them you did something that voided the warranty.

I'm fairly certain that they check to see if it has been opened when you send it in. Just delays the inevitable ;_;

@csl316 said:

Opening it up most likely voids the warranty. Sometimes they'll be lenient about that sort of thing, and if you didn't tell them then you would've been fine.

A warranty is meant to replace a defective product, and the logic is that if you opened it up you could've messed something up.

I understand that point of view. But all I did was wipe down underneath the joysticks with a q-tip. Games are a huge pain to play when you have a drifting joystick.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Microsoft is pretty adamant about the warranty being rendered null and void after potential tampering. You should've called their product support line before going under the hood.

That said, it does truly, earnestly suck to have a faulty controller. And anecdotally, this is much more frequent with Xbox 360/One controllers than it is with first-party pads on other platforms. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

yeah the opening hardware voids warranty thing is a totally understandable position for them to take, imo

i totally understand that it sucks for you right now, but i get their position too

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

Isn't there a seal over one of the screws that says warranty void if broken?

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rasdaan: I think they sell some relatively cheap third party controllers at Wal-mart that might be able to tide you over. I remember dropping mine and it stopped working, turns out I just caused some sort of short in the cable (this is for the PC, mind you), and there was some cheap third party controllers. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I recall a few of them having decent review scores, for what that's worth.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

@rasdaan said:
    @darthorange said:

I'm fairly certain that they check to see if it has been opened when you send it in. Just delays the inevitable ;_;

@csl316 said:

I understand that point of view. But all I did was wipe down underneath the joysticks with a q-tip. Games are a huge pain to play when you have a drifting joystick.

Think about it from their point of view - what if you're lying about that? What if you opened it up and really did clean the sticks, but you're failing to mention that one part that you knocked out of place? If they decide to take you at your word and the controller gets there and they find out that you are the one that messed it up and it's not Microsoft's fault at all, then they still have to replace it. Now imagine if you're telling the truth, but five thousand people say "I took it apart to clean the sticks" and all of them are lying - if they take you at your word, they've gotta take everyone else at their word, too, because there's no way to know who's being dishonest and who isn't.

You probably shouldn't have mentioned it. If you hadn't, you would have sent it in, they would have refurbished it or sent you a new one (or one that was refurbished a few days before), and you would have been good to go.

Have you tried using it with a wire plugged in?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.