Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

MS next Xbox roadmap 2013

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By djou

VG Leaks just posted a leaked roadmap that Microsoft will supposedly take with their next console. Many interesting tidbits in the article including a smaller version of the console designed to compete with the Apple TV that will supply backwards compatibility with 360. They are supposedly also offering a more robust version that puts the Xbox in line with PS4 specs. Both consoles will be always online but the Durango will allow for offline play. Quote "it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games." This is only a brief summary, check out the link for more details, (link)

On the one hand this seems like a terrible idea reminiscent of the Sega Genesis CD, but it could be a genius ploy that allows for game/media streaming. Arthur Gies suggested the idea on twitter and this could be a killer feature that Sony has no answer.

Does this influence people's thoughts about the always online component being a dealbreaker?

No Caption Provided

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

Im lost at what any of that has to do with the Sega Saturn.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I love Arthur Gies. Dope! Just very cool all around.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Hmmmm only interested in this if it means I can play co-op with a buddy on 2 systems with just one copy of the game, like you can with various games on the PSP.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EXTomar

Funny that the PS3 had this where you could play something on the PS3 but display it on your PSP. We know what a killer app that was.

As for "be like Apple TV", the Apple TV is useful because it is tightly integrated with other Apple products. You can use the Apple TV to "mirror" the desktop to your Apple TV but that is of limited use. This is a feature that is way more useful for iPhone and iPad than it ever was for a Mac where the fact it could do it was just a bonus. In any event, Apple TV functions fine on its own where it is more akin to a Kindle or iPad than it is Roku or Boxee.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 levels of hardware performance

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atramentous said:

2 levels of hardware performance

Are you talking about the ram cart vs not having it? Or just having a separate dedicated chip for 2d/3d? I dont see any segmentation. Its not like you had to pick between 2 different Saturns when you went to the store.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So, this "Xbox mini" will be a media box with 360 game functionality, but most likely not have a disc drive? I can understand this sort of device popping up mid-generation or something, but what person at this point is going to pick up this device and have to buy from an entire library of (by then) dated games, digitally only. This idea is PSP-Go-esque.

The Durango leaks are still unimpressive. Still always online. "Kinect 2.0." Even if the damn thing can play used games I still don't see what I'm supposed to be drawn to, there; or, still, why it's always online. The idea of offering backwards compatibility by networking with the Mini is interesting, I guess, but it's not really a huge benefit when you're required to buy two devices.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Never underestimate the Microsoft marketing machine. At this point that is the biggest advantage Microsoft has over Sony. Word of mouth can only take you so far. I bet they will do fine.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Sounds like OnLive, what a great idea that was...

I guess it's something, but nothing I'd ever use.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll wait to hear it from them first before reaching conclusions.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

So, this "Xbox mini" will be a media box with 360 game functionality, but most likely not have a disc drive? I can understand this sort of device popping up mid-generation or something, but what person at this point is going to pick up this device and have to buy from an entire library of (by then) dated games, digitally only. This idea is PSP-Go-esque.

The Durango leaks are still unimpressive. Still always online. "Kinect 2.0." Even if the damn thing can play used games I still don't see what I'm supposed to be drawn to, there; or, still, why it's always online. The idea of offering backwards compatibility by networking with the Mini is interesting, I guess, but it's not really a huge benefit when you're required to buy two devices.

The thing can also appeal to those who have a vast library of 360 titles and wants back-compat. This method is better than Sony's cloud promises.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Though, it requires you to buy two separate devices. You're right that it's more immediately realistic than Sony's promises, but if I'm going to buy two separate devices just for the purposes of backwards compatibility, I'd rather just save the cash and keep my 360 out if I'm the type of consumer that really cares that much.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: Well then I don't mean to blow your mind but the next Xbox won't be for you. I bet this will go well for others though.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Sounds like OnLive, what a great idea that was...

I guess it's something, but nothing I'd ever use.

You know OnLive is still around right? There are actually quite a few things that Sony seems to be taking from OnLive with their PS4.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to ignore Gies, his loyalty is plainly obvious.

I wouldn't actually call it backwards compatibility, by the sounds of it you need this third gen 360 to get it working so by that mere admission I'd say its more like you need to own the console the games are actually for...I might as well save my money and use the console I have for that purpose. I'm on my fifth 360, I'm not buying a sixth so I can stream games to the successor. Yeah...that aint backwards compatibility thats called owning the previous console.

And yeah, online only forget it I'm in dorms the next two years and it won't work there.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By djou

@atramentous: Brain fart... I meant the Sega Genesis with Sega CD attachment. The analogy I was trying to make was this Xbox mini would be an add on to the main Durango that allows people to play 360 games.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to ignore Gies, his loyalty is plainly obvious.

I wouldn't actually call it backwards compatibility, by the sounds of it you need this third gen 360 to get it working so by that mere admission I'd say its more like you need to own the console the games are actually for...I might as well save my money and use the console I have for that purpose. I'm on my fifth 360, I'm not buying a sixth so I can stream games to the successor. Yeah...that aint backwards compatibility thats called owning the previous console.

And yeah, online only forget it I'm in dorms the next two years and it won't work there.

Yeah, this is so retarded I actually don't believe it. Every other rumor I hear I half believe because they are so often true. This one makes zero fucking sense though. It's laughable. With any luck Kinect 2 will turn out to be an add-on for Kinect 1 that lets you use it for your Durango.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By excast

Perhaps I am missing where this would be a "killer app".

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright. If that's the way the wind is blowing with MS' console offering, I remain more interested in PS4.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on a mobile device so I can't @reply, but everyone in this thread complaining about Durango always being online apparently did NOT read the article, where it says exactly the opposite: only the Xbox Mini must be always online, while Durango lets you access local, single player content without being connected.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

jayu26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jayu26

Here is what will happen: People will not buy that 360 disk compatible ad on when Durango launches, instead they will keep their 360s. But two-three years from now that 360 will stop working (because that's what they do...) and everyone will pay 100-150 bucks to buy that ad on!

Microsoft

No Caption Provided
    myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By myke_tuna

Shit like this just makes me wonder what Microsoft is doing. Then I remember I don't really know because everything is speculation at this point. It's an interesting idea, if true, and I see what Microsoft would be going for by doing the next Xbox this way, but I'm just uninterested in most of this stuff. I already have so many things that are supposed to be the "one-stop shop" for media in my house that I don't need another one. Frankly, I find myself using my Roku the most because it's so quick and simple to get into Netflix/Hulu/YouTube/Plex. I also think anyone who isn't into games and/or isn't a huge tech connoisseur will do the same for the same reasons.

Also, that "killer app" that Gies is talking about sounds better than making an entirely separate box that serves the same purpose. Though, for it to work as intended, the Durango's cost would go up to incorporate hardware backward-compatibility and even then, I don't think it's much of a killer app. It sounds good on paper, but I don't think it'd be a huge selling point. Very similar ideas by both Sony and Nintendo (the Remote/Off-TV Play stuff) aren't really making huge waves. Now if the Durango becomes some kind of cable box replacement, they might be on to something, but even then it will be an uphill battle. For one, I'm sure that leasing fee would go up because I don't believe Microsoft will subsidize the thing down to ~$8-10/month. The aforementioned non-gamer, non-tech person would also see it as a waste of money and time and just go about using a regular cable box.

But again, I can't wait for the actual announcement so we can have a clearer understanding of what's going on with Microsoft's new box.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.