Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

The Official XBOX REVEAL Discussion

• 167 results
    cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By cloudyimpulse

@lumley said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,

once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-backwards-compatible/

"due to the x86 architecture of the Xbox One, the PowerPC-based 360 titles simply won't run on the hardware... We care very much about the investment people have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future,"

Guess I'll be keeping my 360 plugged in.

So a little confused. If I install the game while logged into my profile, I'm good to go. Now if a family member on the same machine logs in to play the same game, it's going to prompt them to buy the game or go get the disc and insert it to play? The same machine just doesn't have access to that game installed for all local profiles?

Is that now going to be the case with DLC as well?

Also I assume to install the game you'll have to be online to install it? Because I'm confused on how another Xbox One would be able to tell if a Disc has been installed unless it's pulled from a Microsoft database saying its been used already. If I'm offline and install the game, unless it's writing data back to the disc, then I could go install it on another system.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By HerbieBug
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As a PC gamer, I now hope both Sony and MS give their controllers PC support. Sony's touch pad would negate ever needing a mouse when PC gaming with a controller, and MS's trigger feedback sounds really cool.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#104  Edited By monkeyking1969

@reisz said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@posh said:
    No Caption Provided

probably fake, still funny though

Nope, 100% accurate. . . . Wow.

Well, I was thinking the same thing - MS just made Sony seem far more competent.

I don't think Microsoft was ready to talk, but I guess they had to to talk to have enough time to talke more at e3. Exactly how much of what they THOUGHT they were going to say three months ago hit the editing room floor when Sony announced first and then with Adam Orth sticking his foot in his mouth over "Always On"? I think most of what MS wanted to say or explain was canceled because it WAS all about things that were "always on".

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

No Caption Provided

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Did Sony manage to trump Microsoft, without even showing the hardware?

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So because of that used-game-block-strategy Patrick was talking about I might not even be able to bring a game to a friend's house to play?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay classy Microsoft XD

No Caption Provided

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Thief reboot is coming to Xbox Juan. So, there's that.

Heck, there are all sorts of announcements they could have made today.

And they had no dubstep! Do they even understand gaming anymore?

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this was superbly disappointing. Microsoft seemed so pleased with themselves and didn't even show anything their core audience cared about. We want games damn it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The One TV stuff looks neat, but I'm never going to use it, ever. No backwards compatibility is a big bummer for me. Guess we will have to wait for E3 for the games. If there isn't much that I want, guess I will wait on getting a One. Same goes for PS4.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was pretty underwhelmed in that a lot of the TV/Sports stuff probably won't apply to where I come from, it's cool how quick the console can switch between things but that's not really a selling point to me. The Halo TV series could be a cool idea, though these things often seem to hit bumpy roads (remember the Peter Jackson Halo stuff and the whole Halo movie fiasco) and my love of the Halo franchise has cooled significantly since the third game (though I still enjoy playing their campaigns)

A new remedy game is interesting but that's about the only thing that stood out gamewise and the only reason that caught my attention is my fondness towards Alan Wake. Call of Duty seemed very iterative of the past games with minor touches and some more graphical polish, I don't like racing games and sports games hold no interest for me either.

That being said I'll wait until E3 before I let my opinion get swayed too much to either console in terms of a purchasing decision, though so far the PS4 looks to be more enticing to me personally though I expect the Xbox to have the broader appeal.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By reisz

Uncharted 4 is listed as coming to XBOX ONE, interesting. Also notice that the actual console has no mention of the word "ONE" on any surface. We are maybe a year out from Microsoft referring to this exclusively as XBOX. That will make the guys happy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Thanks for making my purchasing decision of the PS4 final Microsoft!

TJUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By TJUK

Being on a realistic budget, I will have to choose either Xbox One or PS4 for day 1. I won't be able to afford both. Not for a number of years at least.

So as a gamer first and foremost it ultimately comes down to where will the GAMES look and play the best? I find it strange to hear myself say it but I'm starting to think the PS4 will be the place to be for the core gamer, next gen.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Thief reboot is coming to Xbox Juan. So, there's that.

Heck, there are all sorts of announcements they could have made today.

And they had no dubstep! Do they even understand gaming anymore?

there certainly was a distinct lack of dubstep. I guess that's too 2012 for 2013 multimedia events.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's that second stream they were talking about?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By SlashDance

The name is dumb, the box is ugly, the reveal was awful. Great job Microsoft.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tan said:

Where's that second stream they were talking about?

starts at 12 pdt

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By HerbieBug

@baldgye said:

It wasn't necessary for them to show the actual box. They did show the controller, and explained detailed system specs. That's all anybody cares about anyway.

Sony's tactic, of listening to the consumer and addressing complaints of bloated multimedia consoles that seem not to care about actual video games, looks to be the correct course of action. That will engender positive response from games media and, even more importantly, third party developers. Microsoft has evidently not understood this, or have chosen to ignore it in favour of courting the, I think maybe mythical, casual entertainment consumer.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

@baldgye said:

I still have no clue why people think that the box is so important.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#124  Edited By ManMadeGod

Thanks for making my purchasing decision of the PS4 final Microsoft!

so e3 means nothing to you? Gamers are so melodramatic

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By cikame

Well i'm quite deflated after that, i conjured up all these impressive useful ideas of what would be good at the system level, and all i got was pre rendered teasers, television and Kinect.

I prefered Sony's more video game and developer focused approach to their conference, but honestly right now i just feel like continuing to play my through backlog and hope things continue to have good PC ports.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@jimbo said:

So looks like consoles are finally going to catch up with PCs. If they were built in ~'07.

Still going to translate into a substantial leap in production quality across the board. Effectively, I doubt the average enthusiast gaming PC will deliver the experiences we'll get on these new boxes smoothly. At least as far as my PC goes, it might have similar computing power on the spec sheet, but it simply won't translate into effective perfomance.

My guess is, I would have to put at least as much into a PC upgrade, while likely bottlenecking its maximum performance in some manner, or building a whole new PC, which will be more expensive. I'd rather get a new console now, and build an all new PC in two years. Just seems smarter to me.

I'd imagine/hope the new consoles are very rapidly going to look better than that Ghosts reveal. Seriously, I'd put it about on par with how Crysis looked 6 years ago. I haven't looked at them side by side but I wouldn't say it even matched the Battlefield 3 reveal, let alone surpassed it. I really don't think that dog was the 'wow' moment they were looking for to wrap up their reveal.

I'm pretty confident X1 will be better than this presentation managed to make it look.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

Uncharted 4 is listed as coming to XBOX ONE, interesting. Also notice that the actual console has no mention of the word "ONE" on any surface. We are maybe a year out from Microsoft referring to this exclusively as XBOX. That will make the guys happy.

Nah, I think it just becomes X1. Easy to type and sounds ok.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By cloudyimpulse

@xymox said:

... If that's true then that's really messed up. Maybe it's disabled if a profile that owns the game is on that Xbox?

I could see that becoming a real headache for retail. Father buys game to play with kid, has to pay even more money? Yeah, fuck that.

Yeah, that is really going to play out weird if the same machine is prompted to buy it to play the installed copy.

I'm also curious now about who determines the pricing point for re-installing it on another machine. This totally has a new side market now. I go buy the game and instead of my friends going to buy the game... I just give them the game to install it and buy the game for $5 to $10 less. Using my friends Gamefly account may have more appeal now, maybe?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By EXTomar

...that is an explanation but not an excuse. If they sent out invitations to the gaming press they will make comments to the gamer audience.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, well they succeeded in that respect.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They want to position themselves as a 'one box' solution for the living room. I can kinda get behind that, right until I think about it in more detail.

Sat under my TV right now there is

• Xbox 360
    • PS3 (Games + Blu-Ray)
    • Wii U
    • Apple TV
    • DVR
    • Amp

An Xbox One could theoretically replace all but the Amp. That is until I look a little deeper. For me the 360 is my main games platform, with the PS3 used for exclusives, but has far more use as a Blu-Ray player and that is really the function I bought it for. So that's one box gone as I'm not invested enough in PS3 software to care about no longer having it. I am in the the 360, so that will be staying for the forseeable future. If it had 360 compatibility they would have guaranteed that the box under my TV at launch would be the Xbox One, but given that they've now confirmed it won't that throws up the question of whether my new game playing blu-ray player is a PS4 or Xbox One.

The Wii U is used primarily to keep the dust off the shelf below it. Ok I jest, but I have one for potential rather then anything else. So let's keep that one.

Apple TV - used for streaming iTunes media. Chances of either Microsoft or Sony getting access to Apples Video DRM is none existent, so that box is staying.

DVR - I'd be happy to see this converge with something up and free up the space. If the Xbox One can perform it's functions then it seems and easy call. Again, right up until the moment that I remember that the Xbox is going to require installs of every game, and that is likely to eat HD space by the multi-gigabyte. Recording TV/Movies is something that also eats HD space and with a 500GB HD, I don't fancy the juggling of installs/TV that will inevitably entail. Not to mention that I don't live in the States and so will likely see the TV aspects of the system hamstrung anyway.

So finally that leaves the games - the primary reason I'd be after a new console in the first place. But after this presentation they remain the one thing that we seem to know least about.

If I was a brand new buyer and not invested in any other ecosystems, I could quite easily see a case for making the Xbox the one box under the TV. However, there must be very few people that aren't already invested in another system - whether games or a set-top box provided by your content provider, so once the initial excitement of the launch news is over I think it will require more effort to sell this then they perhaps think. I mean, I'm just wondering if I'm not just better off building a home theatre PC with a couple of monster hard drives; and given I am without doubt Microsoft's target market for a device like this, yet am totally underwhelmed it suggests that they may have fumbled a little.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The box is massive! It looks like it weighs 20 pounds! O___O

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

Stay classy Microsoft XD

No Caption Provided

To be fair, if they are engineers and developers then they aren't clapping to generate false fanfare but are honestly proud of what they worked on.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By musubi

@manmadegod: Not really no. Im interested in what the hardware does not games because I give zero shits about Xbox exclusive franchises. And most of the niche Japanese games Im a fan of like Yakuza are on Sony's console because Microsoft doesn't mean shit in Japan. Im not being melodramatic Im just finally able to judge the path both companies are Pershing and say hey Sony seems like where its at for me.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBAUX!

http://img.reversegif.com/42306.gif?hotlink

playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By HerbieBug

xbox is watching you when you blush and get mad and touch yourself. -____-

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#139  Edited By reisz

@jimbo said:
    @reisz said:

Nah, I think it just becomes X1. Easy to type and sounds ok.

I don't know man, that negates the whole brand that they've been building up for 12 years. My money is on "XBOX", it's right there on the box!

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@baldgye said:

I'd say that was the right move. While I can respect some of the angular features of the design overall it looks like a cheap VCR player rather than a high end piece of electronics.

DukeSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Even when the console's turned off, users can simply say "Xbox On" to power up — which means the new Kinect will be listening to you in your living room at all times."

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#142  Edited By turboman

@extomar said:

@darji said:

Stay classy Microsoft XD

No Caption Provided

To be fair, if they are engineers and developers then they aren't clapping to generate false fanfare but are honestly proud of what they worked on.

Also: To generate false fanfare.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By EXTomar

@turboman said:

@extomar said:

@darji said:

Stay classy Microsoft XD

No Caption Provided

Also: To generate false fanfare.

If they were "real" engineers and developers they don't care what the public thinks. Their boss might though but the point is I don't fault anyone for cheering for a product they hard worked on even if it is a "boat anchor" of a product.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know if they plan to archive the GB commentary feed like the PS4 announcement?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By musubi

TALE OF THE TAPE:

ComponentsMicrosoft Xbox OneSony PlayStation 4
    CPU8 Core CPU custom built by MicrosoftSingle-chip custom x86 AMD "Jaguar" processor, 8 cores
    Graphics ProcessorD3D 11.1 chip with 32 MB embedded memory1.84 TFlops, AMD Radeon Graphics Core
    Memory (RAM)8 GB DDR38 GB GDDR5
    Memory (Storage)500 GB HDDNot yet announced
    Optical DriveBlu-ray/DVD combo driveBlu-Ray/DVD combo drive
    I/OUSB 3.0USB 3.0
    CommunicationEthernet, three different 802.11n radios (for connecting to controller and other devices), WiFi DirectEthernet, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
    A/VHDMI input and output, 1080p and 4K support, Optical outputHDMI 1080p and 4K support, Analog-AV, Optical output
    ControllerXbox One controller with redesigned directional padMotion-sensing six-axis, clickable touch pad, share button
    Motion ControlNew Microsoft-developed Kinect camera, with 250,000-pixel infrared depth sensor and 1080p cameraPlayStation Eye dual lens 1280x800x2 camera
    PriceNot yet announcedNot yet announced
    AvailabilityLater this yearHoliday 2013
    henriksultan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By henriksultan
    No Caption Provided

What else is there to say?

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The future of gaming...is now:

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

The future of gaming...is now:

I needed that. Almost made that press event worth watching.

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We might not be the quadrants MS wanted to talk to, but I don't see any of the other quadrants running out and buying the X1 based on what they showed. They didn't even throw Dance Central in there, that could have helped at least a little. From this you'd have thought the Kinect was only good for menu navigation.

Also, if they actually do run with the subsidized model I'm curious as to what that means for those of us in other territories. My guess is we get to pay extra, as usual? The PS3 launched at nigh on a thousand dollars in Sweden, not exactly an impulse buy. Have to say personally I'm feeling the PS4 way more right now and I've been primarily an Xbox gamer this generation - though I own all three systems by now. If we're comparing home setups I have even less use for all the features they showed today, since it currently looks like this:

* Xbox 360
    * Wii
    * PS3
    * PS2
    * NES
    * SNES
    * N64
    * Master System

No DVD player, no DVR, no cable box, nothing. I don't have a single channel on my TV. What I do have is a laptop with an HDMI cord, so I don't even need a BluRay player... Yes I am probably an edge case in that I have no TV package, but isn't this the direction things should be moving in? With my laptop I choose whatever I want to see, be it regular TV shows, web shows like Giant Bomb, movies, Steam Big Picture... Not really interested in spending top dollar for features that I won't use. But of course cool games will always win me over, so bring on E3...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.