Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

XBone eSRAM/GPU Performance Problems Rumors

• 60 results
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Hunkulese

@hunkulese said:

@eloj said:

@hunkulese said:

It's moronic to think that they're not building the Xbox with a games first mentality.

I have tried with this blog post to explain why I don't think so, as if the reveal event weren't clear enough! To me, the technical evidence strongly suggests that the XBone was in fact designed not as a gaming machine foremost, but to be a generic "media hub" product that can also play games way better than a Wii-U or iPad.

I value all constructive feedback though, feel free to try again!

Try again at what? Look at what they're putting in the Xbox and I don't see how you could think it's not a games first console. Gambling on DDR5 becoming more affordable was a huge risk that paid off for Sony but by no means means that Microsoft wasn't designing a gaming console by opting for DDR3.

Well to have a nice chunk of the power of the system for the OS seems to mean they care about that first and added the customs parts to boost the gaming part later. They are trying to do it all which is the problem if you ask me.

Another example of someone reading something on the internet, having no idea what it means but coming up with their own conclusions anyway. I don't see how you can twist the fact that 3GB of ram is dedicated to the OS to a nice chunk of power of the system is for the OS. Ram isn't power and 5GB is still overkill for a dedicated gaming system. There hasn't been a game released yet that has required anywhere close to 5GB of ram. Look at the features that Sony is offering. They're going to have to dedicate of chunk of their ram to their OS as well. They've made a gaming console that they hope will be the only device necessary in the living room which is exactly the same thing that Sony has made.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Good post; nice to have somebody actually talking specifics about hardware and what that means. Looking forward to the continuation!

I agree with this.

antime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

I've played Crysis 3 to completion on ultra on 4GB, and I remember looking at its process in the task manager and it didn't use anymore RAM than what I've already stated.

You PC also has a couple of gigs of RAM on the graphics card that Task Manager doesn't account for.

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Residentrevil2

Oh, I read about this on Neogaf.

I'm not sure I can entirely believe this stuff especially if good looking games are coming out from all of the major publishers.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By jgf

Oh, I read about this on Neogaf.

I'm not sure I can entirely believe this stuff especially if good looking games are coming out from all of the major publishers.

Even if the rumor is true and they downclock their GPU games will still look great. Not 2000$+ PC great, but I don't think it will be noticable that much. However the hardware geek inside me cries: Please don't ruin your console by rushing it to market. Take a deep breath, sort things out and come back all guns blazing when the effing thing is ready. That would be my approach.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Sooty

@antime said:

@sooty said:

I've played Crysis 3 to completion on ultra on 4GB, and I remember looking at its process in the task manager and it didn't use anymore RAM than what I've already stated.

You PC also has a couple of gigs of RAM on the graphics card that Task Manager doesn't account for.

What? That has nothing to do with what I said, I was talking about the system ram usage, not the VRAM.

I wasn't debating how much VRAM it uses, only system RAM. I thought that was pretty obvious as system and VRAM are always treated as separate. PCs don't use combined memory after all, well, unless you're using a laptop with integrated graphics.

antime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By antime

@sooty said:

@antime said:

@sooty said:

What? That has nothing to do with what I said, I was talking about the system ram usage, not the VRAM.

I wasn't debating how much VRAM it uses, only system RAM. I thought that was pretty obvious as system and VRAM are always treated as separate. PCs don't use combined memory after all, well, unless you're using a laptop with integrated graphics.

It counts towards the total memory usage. Saying a game needs only two gigs of memory is misleading if it needs another two gigs that just happen to be on the graphics card. Especially if you're comparing to a machine with an unified memory architecture.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antime said:

@sooty said:

@antime said:

@sooty said:

It counts towards the total memory usage. Saying a game needs only two gigs of memory is misleading if it needs another two gigs that just happen to be on the graphics card. Especially if you're comparing to a machine with an unified memory architecture.

But what if the card doesn't have much VRAM? I always thought that say if you had no VRAM and like 16 GB of System RAM, the game will still run like shit because you need VRAM separate. Or does the card somehow convert system RAM into VRAM?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By EXTomar

The answer is "It depends". On the PC side this style architecture isn't new it has never been widely adopted outside of laptops. On desktops, you have enough room and power that it pays to have separate high powered RAM and processors. In a laptop it doesn't make sense where the concern is more about heat and power.

Basically on a desktop PC it makes a lot of sense to buy a 2GB video card and 16GB mobo that communicate through a specialized high speed memory bus. In a compact or embedded system, that would be a luxury.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Really excellent and interesting post, thanks eloj.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.