Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One can use online check-in through your phone.

• 63 results
    Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
    darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By darkdragonmage99

@live2brighteous: not any more then always but this check in wouldn't do anything about that because the people who pirate console games modify their consoles to do so they'd simple disable the check in.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

This just doesn't worry me in the least. My consoles are always hardwired regardless. If my internet is out for more than 24 hours for some crazy reason, I can always read a book or something, or interact with my child.

What is...book

Now that I'm thinking about it, some sort of standalone iOS/Android app that connects directly to the Xbox One and performs the authentication seems like a pretty decent workaround. It's still not going to be a 100% flawless solution, but it seems potentially much simpler than tethering.

Thats why I said it could be done with smartglass.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53 chaser324  Moderator
    darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny_says: @aspaceinvader: @tackchevy: So you are saying the people Microsoft simply wrote off at a wim shouldn't be angry about it ? I suppose say if giantbomb decide that if you don't subscribe and log in every day you can no longer use the forums or listen to the podcast you wouldn't be angry in the least.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like having $30 phone bills, so this is not an option for me.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#56 chaser324  Moderator

@darkdragonmage99: I don't think that analogy works. GB is a website, so how/why are you ever in a situation where you're accessing it offline?

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hollitz said:

It's a really stupid statement, but I guess he has to offer some kind of option.

You can't do it for free. Wireless providers charge monthly for the ability to let other devices uses your phones' internet connection. And it's not something that's enabled. So you'd have to call your provider, add the feature to your phone plan, and then set up the connection all so your Xbox could ping a server.

This. If it wasn't for that, it wouldn't be such a terrible thing. I don't understand why they just don't relax it to a week though. At this point it wouldn't convince me to flip back to MS' side, but a week I think is reasonable, especially if they give people the option of playing offline as long as the game isn't installed, which I thought they were considering at this point, but maybe that's just one of the hundreds of hypotheticals I've heard thrown around this week from MS/journos/devs/publishers/friends.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@darkdragonmage99: You probably won't like hearing this but I'll tell you anyway: for those 10 years (of this 8 year console cycle) at no point did Microsoft force you to give them money. It was your choice to spend your hard earned money on their product. You could have bought a PS3 at any moment you so desired. You paid them money for a service, which they supplied. It's very cut and dry. They literally don't owe you anything.

Also if you don't own a cellular phone in 2013, and I assume you mean that you don't own a phone at all and don't plan to buy one, then you are the very definition of an edgecase. There are some people in this world that live in igloos, straw huts, or boats - you can't design your modern piece of technology thinking about them. There are some very unfortunate people that have lost a hand or an arm in an accident, as tragic as that is, controllers are still not designed with those sort of people in mind.

IF you want to rage and howl at the moon because a company is taking their property in a direction you don't like then you can, but it just makes you look childish. Move on, buy a PS4 and don't worry about having good internet. As I said, I owned a 360 and I loved it, I love my Gamercard and I love the 360 controller - I will probably get a PS4 and I don't feel the least bit betrayed by Microsoft. They made a product that no longer is appealing to me, so I will very calmly go buy one that does.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By aspaceinvader

@darkdragonmage99: in truth if giantbomb did that I would find another site as there are plenty out there. It's the same with mobile cellular provider if I am not happy with what they are doing I move on to one of their rivals.

Same with car dealers if I don't like the product they have on show or the terms and conditions they offer on a car sale then fuck em move to another dealer and model. Same here if people don't like the xbone, there are two other big players out there and at some point in time valves steam box will arrive.

So you have a choice want a next gen console but don't like what Microsoft have done then get a ps4 or wii U or wait for valves steam box. Pointless ranting on the Internet as Microsoft are not forcing anyone to buy an xbone, same as Sony it's up to you, at the end of the day it will be people's cash that will do all the talking, as that is the main thing the big three are interested in cold hard cash going into their bank accounts.

All the ranting and raving over used game, 24 check in etc will be done and dusted by the next e3, then when the next gen is at the end of its cycle, used games will be a thing of the past as every thing will be digital downloads, physical media games discs will be obsolete.

People forget that if Microsoft had not entered the console market, you would not have had online play in any of the previous or current gens consoles, they helped to push it, Sony did not or Nintendo either. I don't think the ps3 would have had online and was only added after Sony saw how popular the original Xbox live was the first Xbox. I will get an xbone as I like the games it has to offer, I will get a ps4 after that but further own the line.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I- I just-

I hope some of you guys check your blood pressure regularly

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By PillClinton

Yeah, ya know, just pay even more for an extra feature on your phone bill, on the off chance you'll have to use it to authenticate our console. Fuck off.

darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Vinny_Says

@darkdragonmage99: I'd be angry (maybe) for a bit but I would quickly get over it. Like I said it's a business and at no point was I forced to support them. If I don't like a new product from them I just don't buy it.

If microsoft was owned by the government and my taxes went to pay for whatever service they provided and then one day they make dumb changes to the service then yeah I'd be livid, but that's not the case.

It's just sad to see so much butthurt on the internet regarding microsoft, a business like any other.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Poor people don't have wifi hotspots!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.