Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Any research tips??

Moblyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moblyn

Im new to the game and on the first few missions. Restarted early on after finding out how long satellites take to make, and then again after getting a game breaking bug that kept me locked on a UFO interceptor menu. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for what to research? Do autopsy's do much good? I have already done Weapon and alien fragments and the first biology one. Thanks for any advice!

Edit: On Iron man mode normal if that changes anything

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

Do all the autopsies as quickly as you can, likewise with interogations. This opens up as many options to you as possible. After that, tend to your tactics.

I tend to use snipers as my heavy hitters so i focus on upgrading them first.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marcsman

Satellites are key to keeping countries in XCOM.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arabes

Interrogations and autopsies are key to fast research - the ones that give you research credits anyway. Certainly you want sectoid interrogation for beam weapon research credit and muton autopsies and int. for basic armour and plasma weapons (I'm pretty sure those are right, take a look at the wiki page). Also if you're playing iron man, back up your save game, it'll stop you getting fucked over by a bug.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By djou

The first item I would try to research for is a SCOPE to equip to the sniper (with squad sight). Then get an armor set, whatever you can afford but carapace if you can. Then beam weapons, plasma if you can, but whatever you can afford.

Really what you need to concentrate on is satellites. The first thing you should build is a workshop to bump up your engineer count, then a power generator, then another satellite uplink. Simultaneously build satellites (3 at least, but 4 if you can afford it) while these buildings are being completed. These may require you to excavate so that your power generator is near a steam source.

All this stuff cost credits and time and are more important the research items at the beginning. To afford this I pretty much sold everything on the gray market which is why I did almost nothing in the first month. Although I saved enough stuff to research I mainly tried to keep my soldiers alive and worked to mitigate panic instead of buying items to equip. Check out the below video that I found help, it shows a tip to launching 4 satellites in the first month, not easy but doable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpVrQDw3pds

One other tip I found very helpful, don't launch your satellites until a week before the council report. This way you can optimize the encounters, reducing panic your squad instead of valuable satellites. It takes time/credits for them to go up so save them until you need them. This can make the missions more difficult since you will be playing difficult/very difficult missions exclusively.

Moblyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Moblyn

Thanks! Will probably need to start over again anyway, but this is all good to know

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By haffy

I left interrogations and autopsies till I get one of the continents that give the bonus. Not sure which one gives it, but it's only two and saves a lot of days of research if you postpone it.

Personally I just go weapons, armor xeno biology then back to weapons for my main weapon killers class in that run.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arabes

@haffy: South America

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#9  Edited By tearhead

Keep pumping out satellites, satellite uplinks and interceptors until everyone is covered. Also, only do the Alien Base mission when your panic rating is getting out of control, but don't wait too long, 'cus the mission scales in difficulty as your soldiers level up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.