Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

XCOM: Hero Moments

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Edited By ElCapitan

tl;dr version: XCOM giveth and XCOM taketh away.

Had an epic moment in XCOM that I couldn't not write about. I wish I'd filmed it, but instead I'll have to create a word picture for you guys.

You know those side chambers in UFOs? The really small ones with a power core and an L-shape in front of an alien door? Six guys positioned (thankfully not clustered in grenade range) in that room to burst in on an Outsider...or so I thought. Instead when I opened the door, THREE MUTONS! They position around me, flanking one of my guys and it's on (like Donkey Kong)

Step one was to rocket away the cover for two of them and suppress the guy with the best shot on my guys.

Then I got some lucky snipes in and coupled that with Run and Gun flanks and I manage to take out two. One of the Mutons manages to get a point blank shot off on my guy, but his Carapace armor and a lucky non-crit keeps him alive. Smoke him and then I crack open a brew and wish someone else saw (or that they cared)

All of those heroes managed to die between the alien base Cryssalids/Cyberdiscs and my next UFO encounter. At this point for me UFOs are staffed exclusively by Mutons and Cyberdiscs. I managed to fight off the Cyberdisc, his drones, and 6/8 of the Mutons while retaining half of my squad (most were Squaddies). Then I get another set of 2 Mutons and a Muton Elite (whatever they're called) in the same tiny chamber (gotta stop doing that...). Thanks to a Plasma Sniper Rifle I come out of that with one man left (the sniper) and the last Muton runs outside. One lucky shot later I'm expecting the mission to be over, but, nope, something's left. Probably an Outsider, right? Fun fact about post-Alien Base UFOs, they're piloted by Sectoid Commanders! My sniper ran the fuck away, but, here's another fun fact, if you're mind controlled and you're the last soldier left, the mission ends in failure.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ElCapitan

tl;dr version: XCOM giveth and XCOM taketh away.

Had an epic moment in XCOM that I couldn't not write about. I wish I'd filmed it, but instead I'll have to create a word picture for you guys.

You know those side chambers in UFOs? The really small ones with a power core and an L-shape in front of an alien door? Six guys positioned (thankfully not clustered in grenade range) in that room to burst in on an Outsider...or so I thought. Instead when I opened the door, THREE MUTONS! They position around me, flanking one of my guys and it's on (like Donkey Kong)

Step one was to rocket away the cover for two of them and suppress the guy with the best shot on my guys.

Then I got some lucky snipes in and coupled that with Run and Gun flanks and I manage to take out two. One of the Mutons manages to get a point blank shot off on my guy, but his Carapace armor and a lucky non-crit keeps him alive. Smoke him and then I crack open a brew and wish someone else saw (or that they cared)

All of those heroes managed to die between the alien base Cryssalids/Cyberdiscs and my next UFO encounter. At this point for me UFOs are staffed exclusively by Mutons and Cyberdiscs. I managed to fight off the Cyberdisc, his drones, and 6/8 of the Mutons while retaining half of my squad (most were Squaddies). Then I get another set of 2 Mutons and a Muton Elite (whatever they're called) in the same tiny chamber (gotta stop doing that...). Thanks to a Plasma Sniper Rifle I come out of that with one man left (the sniper) and the last Muton runs outside. One lucky shot later I'm expecting the mission to be over, but, nope, something's left. Probably an Outsider, right? Fun fact about post-Alien Base UFOs, they're piloted by Sectoid Commanders! My sniper ran the fuck away, but, here's another fun fact, if you're mind controlled and you're the last soldier left, the mission ends in failure.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Preparing for that final room I've heard so much about, and it being the easiest thing in the entire game.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By living4theday258

haven't had any hero moments.... yet...

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ElCapitan

@TheHT: I was somehow far enough away in the final room that I could see the boss, but the other two ethereals and muton elites didn't spawn. It was a lucky break for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.