Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza Kiwami

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 21, 2016

An HD remake of the original Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) game, for PlayStation 3 and 4.

Will this be a good starting off point for Yakuza?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Captain_Insano

So I haven't played any of the Yakuza games though I am watching Beast in the East. Obviously it's tricky to say exactly what this game will be like because it hasn't come out yet, but do you think this would be a decent starting point for these games given that it is, in essence, the first game?

I have little interest in Yakuza 0 because I've been watching the playthrough and I'm not too fussed on re-seeing most of that content.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's a faithful remake of the first game with some added Majima fun because he's a fan-favourite now. It's actually been out in Japan for a while and got positive reception from what I know, and that original PS2 game is clunky as heck, so it's probably the best starting point you could possibly hope for.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Yakuza 0 is the best starting point right now since it`s really great and sets up stuff that I think improve on the story of the original game, but since you`re watching BITE you`ll see all that stuff anyway. Otherwise Kiwami is an improved in pretty much all aspects version of the game that was meant to introduce people to the series, so I think it will be a great starting point for the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

0 or Kiwami will be a great start.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You will miss out on mark hamills majima, which is a main reason i am thinking of going through the original ps2 version finally lol.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

It's a faithful remake of the first game with some added Majima fun because he's a fan-favourite now. It's actually been out in Japan for a while and got positive reception from what I know, and that original PS2 game is clunky as heck, so it's probably the best starting point you could possibly hope for.

From what I've read of the game's description, it almost seems like Majima shows up as a type of Mr Shakedown just to try and bash you up sometimes

somamilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are great starts as they are the prequel and first game of the series, if I would recommend this to a fresh Yakuzie initiate, I would say play Yakuza 0 first because you get more out of Kiwami if you do in my opinion.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really should play 0 first if you're thinking of starting with Kiwami. It sort of expects that you have played it, both story and gameplay-wise. I could see someone being overwhelmed starting with 4 styles and there is definitely a flow to the combat that you need to pick up.

If you must start with Kiwami just expect to do some learning / losing to Majima.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

0 is probably your best bet. Kiwami is a remake/remaster and carries over a lot of the more serious tone of the original game. They do add some whimsy and new features, but 0 will be more representative of a modern Yakuza game.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bought Yakuza Kiwami, but have been watching through Beast in the East - I'm about halfway through Beast - once I finish viewing it, I'll get into playing Kiwami

GKabooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GKabooz

Definitely feels a lot shorter with only one playable character and if you've love all the shenanigans, I personally feel it was toned back. I remember hearing that Yakuza 1 was a straight beat-em-up without exploration originally though so the added open world is nice. Can someone confirm that?

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McHampton

If you intend to play 3, 4 and 5 this is a poor starting point because it's a much better playing game than those. and will hurt that experience quite a bit. Same for Yakuza 0.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I just came off of beating Kiwami (like literally ten minutes ago), and I can't say I give it a very hearty recommendation as the first experience with a series. There are some serious pacing issues that come not only from it being an older game but also from some of the new content they've added in (particularly, Majima's character is sort of all over the map and it doesn't flow very well at all with the original intent). If you've never played 0, you'll probably be okay with the three main styles but the fourth style is seriously gimped and I ended up burning out on the grind necessary to upgrade it long before it ever became useful again.

There's some great stuff in there, and to be able to experience some of those moments instead of just watching them is awesome, but it's a pretty hard step down coming from how excellently-produced Yakuza 0 was. This definitely feels more like a love letter to fans of the series than as a legitimate starting point, but maybe not having played Yakuza 0 will make some of those rough edges easier to deal with.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkabooz said:

Definitely feels a lot shorter with only one playable character and if you've love all the shenanigans, I personally feel it was toned back. I remember hearing that Yakuza 1 was a straight beat-em-up without exploration originally though so the added open world is nice. Can someone confirm that?

Kiwami is structurally pretty much the same as the PS2 version. The biggest difference is that the PS2 version had fixed camera angles and load times between sections of the map, making it feel much less open than Yakuza 3 and beyond.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.