Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yooka-Laylee

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 11, 2017

Yooka-Laylee is a spiritual successor to classic 3D platformers, such as Banjo Kazooie, from former RARE developers at Playtonic Games. Playtonic crowdsourced the game's funding through Kickstarter, achieving their goal within 40 minutes.

Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor Hits Kickstarter Goal in Less Than 40 Minutes

• 193 results
    xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Says it's coming to PC right in the blurb under the video, so that's exciting.

I said the name of the game out loud and finally got it.

I read your comment and started doing the same.
    Now... Now, I see.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Those base numbers are a little disconcerting. Considering KickStarter takes a cut (between 8-10%) and the developer is taxed on what they receive (plus the VAT?!)... that's not enough to make a game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@l4wd0g said:

Those base numbers are a little disconcerting. Considering KickStarter takes a cut (between 8-10%) and the developer is taxed on what they receive (plus the VAT?!)... that's not enough to make a game.

There must be some outside funding on this project, especially given the part where they said the game would be made regardless of how well the kickstarter did.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By l4wd0g

@arbitrarywater i guess I didn't see that in Dan's article. That's even more infuriating. Do we want EA, UbiSoft and Activision to KickStart games?

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

if they hadn't of announced a PC version of this, I wouldn't have cared.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

This is near £1 million that's crazy!

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty ridiculous it's 55 grand away from a million right now. (in proper money that is) I just wish the name was spelled in a more distinct manner, as I keep thinking it's Leyley

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I don't guess I'll ever understand what prompts people to back a Kickstarter, especially video game ones. Also, the name they chose is so stupid: "Get it?! Say it out loud. Yoo kah...lay lee. You know, like mini guitar looking instrument no one alive today even remembers?" Ugh.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It appears they've hit every announced stretch goal in less than 24 hours. They've still got 44 days left on this thing, so I have to assume they'll post some more. I wonder if we've got a Broken Age situation on our hands, where they end up expanding the scope of the game because they received so much funding.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

It appears they've hit every announced stretch goal in less than 24 hours. They've still got 44 days left on this thing, so I have to assume they'll post some more. I wonder if we've got a Broken Age situation on our hands, where they end up expanding the scope of the game because they received so much funding.

While this is probably a stronger reaction than they were expecting, I don't think we'll be seeing Broken Age levels of expansion. This game would have been made regardless of if the Kickstarter succeeded and most of the Kickstarter money is going towards paying the salaries for an expanded team and for covering the costs of putting time and resources into parts which help to polish up the game, but which aren't really necessary (local multiplayer minigames, minecart sequences, etc). The amount they've raised via Kickstarter is impressive, but they probably already had a pretty good amount of money invested into this from one source or another.

My guess is the majority of money they get beyond their final stretch goal will go towards being able to pay at least some of the additional team members to stick around to help create DLC down the road (free or otherwise), to help with patching bugs, and to work on future games.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

a variety of burp- and fart-based special moves have been promised for the titular duo.

Game respect game.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's sort of crazy just how identical an experience to Banjo Kazooie / Tooie they're going for, especially when you look at the stretch goals - and listen to that music, I had to check it wasn't actually something out of Banjo to make sure.

But those games are some of my most beloved ever, so even though I'm not a big fan of the new main character designs so far, I'm pretty excited. Definitely gonna back it.

zeo12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And to think that people still dismiss Rareware golden n64 era and just mention Mario 64 and oot as the only highlights of the console , this prove that there are lot of us that still can appreciate of all those great games that were made by basically the same people who form Playtonic. And all that in just 24 hours..

Lungford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should've called it "Claire-Annette"

Avatar image for hollahollagetdolla
    HollaHollaGetDolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rate that they're hitting their stretch goals is astounding. I know that some of the extra money they get will go to bug-fixing, DLC, and just a higher quality of game, but they're going to have quite a bit on top of that. If they don't increase the scope of the game (which I'm not entirely sure how they would approach), what would they do?

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Gave them a tenner quidsterling. I'm not really looking for a resurgence of 90-00's 3D platformers, but I appreciate the easy-going, waffling nature of them. There's so few of them nowadays, especially quality ones. I'm cool with one appearing every now and then.

Everyone buy Grow Home.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Neat. I'll wait to see if they do a physical console release.

I think their estimated release date is not realistic and they'll delay far past that date (like just about every game does, Kickstarter or not).

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of all the platformers to hang your hat on, why on Earth would you choose Banjo? It was always the white bread of platformers. It was really only notable for symbolising Rare's habit of running concepts in to the ground. Were the 'original' games that much of a sales success that it warrants doing a purely cynical nostalgia grab?

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, reading through the comments and some of you guys are really cynical about this.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icaria: Because people love it enough to make it 175 thousand pounds in 40 minutes.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Zeik
    @dedbeet said:

I don't guess I'll ever understand what prompts people to back a Kickstarter, especially video game ones. Also, the name they chose is so stupid: "Get it?! Say it out loud. Yoo kah...lay lee. You know, like mini guitar looking instrument no one alive today even remembers?" Ugh.

I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain knows what a ukulele is. It's not some kind of extinct instrument. An ocarina is way more obscure than a freaking ukulele and no one bats an eye at Zelda's obsession with that instrument .

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why Unity3D? That engine is pretty bad with 3D sandboxes that contain a bunch of instances. I'd be stoke if they switched to Unreal 4, that thing runs smooth as butter.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Strife777

Man, these guys are really low-balling these goals. They just added two stretch goals, one is cleared, the other will easily be in the next 24 to 48 hours.

I'm really surprised at how popular this thing is. Kind of peaked my interest.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@icaria: Because it had personality and it had flavor. It was goofy, snippy and funny. It had lovable characters that were fleshed out and a world that was full to bursting with detail. Compare Freezeezy Peak to any world in Mario 64. Mario 64's got two snow levels, one where it's a mountain with a shed and another with a snowman. Freezeezy Peaks' a holiday wonderland. It's got giant presents, homicidal snowmen, a deadbeat dad who's not gotten his children gifts (literally the plot to Jingle All The Way), a xenophobic walrus, being a walrus, cozy cottages, freezing water with talking icicles in it, sled racing, a giant snowman with a scarf, broom and pipe, and a Christmas Tree you put christmas lights on.

Plus there's details beyond the world in front of you. The worlds Rare created lived and breathed. In Tooie when the Jinjo Village was torn asunder the King's biggest concern was for the Moles vs Jinjos Soccer Match that was only a week away. Klungo wandered off in disgrace at the end of Tooie, said he'd try his hand at Video Games. By Nuts and Bolts he's doing it! Bumper went to jail during the mid 00s, the Kong family lineage has hell of subtext (Cranky is DK's grandfather but raised him as a son), Banjo and Kazooie put on a lot of weight during the mid 00s, etcetera!

Plus they looked great, played great and had great music. They were all around solid games. That part also helps a lot.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedbeet: Haha What exactly makes you think nobody knows what a ukelele is? Ukeleles are very much a played instrument today. Hell, people have brought ukeleles to my high school to play between class and lunch, which I graduated from only 4 years ago. I love the sound of ukeleles

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first kickstarter project I backed, because I liked the Rare platformers a lot and I think we need more of these games still.

But some of these stretch goals ...
    They don't know what to make up anymore I guess: "A N64 shaded mode" and a "Developer walkthrough video"? Both of them combined are costing 200,000 pounds??

Some others are pretty lame as well; multiplayer mode and maps. Who cares?
    How about you guys use that money for more and better resources, so the game will be finished earlier. Now that would be some useful stretch goal; every 100,000 extra will bring the release 2 weeks closer or something.

Globox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad; however those two characters are extremely bland. It looks like Spyro & Clank with no personality. Especially the Lizard.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I backed it because I played the hell out of Banjo Kazooie at Wal Mart and Best Buy when I was a kid.

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themasterds: I get the feeling a deep, abiding appreciation of Banjo's lore is a lot like finding religion: you already have to be sold on it before it starts to look good to you.

As for the gameplay, I realise I'm in the minority here but I don't think there was a single N64 platformer that played well, SM64 included. Spyro on the PSX was the only 3D platformer of that entire generation that didn't feel like your character was wading through molasses and/or one second from leaping off of the map the entire game. Most of those games fell in to either of categories 'glorified 2D platformer a la Crash Bandicoot' or 'glorified unfocussed tech demo a la Body Harvest'. It really wasn't until Super Mario Sunshine (camera issues aside) and Ratchet and Clank (from the same dev as Spyro, IIRC) that 3D platformers regularly became half-way playable.

As for the art, all I saw back then and all I see now is diabetes. Rare's stuff always looked like a knock-off of already sickly sweet 90's era Disney cartoons like Tale Spin. The sheer amount of churn Rare were responsible for in the 90's (between five-ish DKC/DKL games in two years and four superficially different 3D platformers in three-ish years, it's a wonder Rare didn't single-handedly kill both genres) certainly didn't help with the sense of exploitation and creative bankruptcy.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#181  Edited By TheMasterDS

@dussck: They're stretch goals. At a point they're arbitrary bonuses on top of the simple "We can hire more people to get this thing out."

@icaria: Don't be crazy, it wasn't any one company that killed the 2D Platformer, it was the advent of 3D gaming.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prepare to have your mind blown.

Yooka-Laylee = Ukelele

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: *explosion sound of mind exploding* =P

I'm honestly looking forward to this game. Now to figure out which version I'll be playing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They are almost at $2Million USD. HOT DAMN

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at this makes me really want a new Spyro game. Like the original game with these graphics. I'd buy the shit out of that.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Rasrimra

Big Banjo-Kazooie fan. 100%ed it. I liked the puzzle aspect, the vibe and power ups a lot. I liked it more than Super Mario 64! (But I know that Super Mario 64 was the better game.)

So duh. I can't believe they set such a low goal. That concerns me a little... Hope they expand their scope with the amount of support. I'm voting with my wallet.

Right now it's crossing the $2 million.

MindChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By MindChamber

no way... these guys sound like a couple of Al Bundies, reliving their high school football days.. They've been fallin on their face ever since N64 flatlined... Kameo, Viva Pinata and Perfect Dark Zero all bombed.. and no one played Nuts and Bolts, so I dont get why this is gonna be any different.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think their estimated release date is not realistic and they'll delay far past that date (like just about every game does, Kickstarter or not).

I also have worries about the release date especially as I am still yet to receive a single gaming project I've backed! Although I do wonder if the nature of this game lends itself to being made quicker, I feel like dev times weren't as crazy back then with a few notable exceptions.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nearly every negative comment I see in this thread is an embarrassment.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nearly every negative comment I see in this thread is an embarrassment.

It's like they hate fun.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no way... these guys sound like a couple of Al Bundies, reliving their high school football days.. They've been fallin on their face ever since N64 flatlined... Kameo, Viva Pinata and Perfect Dark Zero all bombed.. and no one played Nuts and Bolts, so I dont get why this is gonna be any different.

The advantage of the crowdfunding route is that they don't actually have to sell a million copies to appease investors, they just have to make a game that the people who back it want to play. If the people who back it end up satisfied with the final product that's a successful kickstarter.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By whitegreyblack

@flameboy84 said:

@whitegreyblack said:

I also have worries about the release date especially as I am still yet to receive a single gaming project I've backed! Although I do wonder if the nature of this game lends itself to being made quicker, I feel like dev times weren't as crazy back then with a few notable exceptions.

I always expect very successful kickstarter games to miss their estimated release dates anyways - when they have a ton more resources than they expected and hit big stretch goals, the project invariably becomes bigger and more complicated and more time is needed to finish everything.

I'm glad when big kickstarter games take longer so that they can polish it and make it the best it can be. Patience is a virtue for video game lovers, and it tends to pay off.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So shoot me, I love all the N64 collectathons. This was an easy backing.

MrTrainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my first video games ever was Banjo Kazooie so boy does this Kickstarter make me excited. From the designs offered so far I'm also digging the art style. Been a sucker for 3D platformer collectathons forever so I can't wait to see how this project goes along.

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at this makes me really want a new Spyro game. Like the original game with these graphics. I'd buy the shit out of that.

I'd be up for a remake or spiritual sequel to Spyro 3. The first two games were a little lacking in variety; 3 added a bunch of different playable characters, a lot of bosses, and they even chucked half of a Tony Hawk game in there for the hell of it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mindchamber: the only game you're correct about is Perfect Dark Zero..

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By ripelivejam

What tier gets us the ouya version?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.