Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 11, 2010

A dungeon role-playing game from the makers of Disgaea.

Early thoughts on ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, I recently acquired a copy of ZHP, and started playing it. Here's my thoughts: 

Gameplay

For such an odd sounding game, the gameplay is pretty straightforward. It's a dungeon crawler (or roguelike, if you want to be technical). It's turn based, which is nice, and there are a lot of penalties for dying, like losing all of your money and items. Stat boosts remain though, which is awesome, because the entire point of the game is to level up and beat the final boss. Overall, the gameplay isn't really anything special, but it's good enough to be fun. 

Graphics

Being a PSP game, ZHP doesn't really wow from a technical perspective, but it's got a great art style. Well, it's pretty much just anime nonsense, but it fits well with the game's goofy tone, and keeps everything upbeat and cheery. Worth noting is that unlike most games with 2D sprites for characters, in this one, when you equip items/weapons, they actually change your appearance, which is great. Now I know that headgear such'n'such is made out of candles. Yup, there's a hat made out of candles. 

Music

The music in this game reminds me of another game. You know, that game where the music plays loudly, and constantly over the dialog. You know the one I'm talking about. The music does the same thing here, and it's pretty good too. I did turn it down a bit (and the dialog up a bit), but it's still pretty good. 

Story

Now here's the best part of ZHP. The plot here is simple enough, involving and evil lion-man thing, a super powered infant, a super hero who forgets to look both ways before crossing the street, training on Bizarro Earth, being married to a Prinny.... 

Okay, so it's not that simple, and so far it's not terribly deep (pretty much the old DBZ standby of "go train to get more powerful and defeat the villain"), but the amazing writing and great voice acting are what seal the deal. The game is absolutely hilarious. It's the little things, like how Darkdeath Evilman is described as being able to "Breath fire from his mouth." I don't really want to give too many more examples, because I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't played the game yet. 

So, while I haven't had a ton of time to play the game (about three hours), I can definitely say that this is one of the (if not the) best games I have played on the PSP. If you own a PSP, and you like dungeon crawlers, and especially if you like things that are crazy and Japanese, you really need to buy this game. It's about $30 on Amazon, and it's supposed to be fairly long (the marketing for the game claimed you could play it 40 million times too).  

Sadly though, I kinda of feel like my saying this is falling on deaf ears (eyes?). At this point, most people who want this game have probably already bought it. You know what would be great? If some website rose awareness for this game by playing through the entirety of it, along with color commentary. They could even put a video up every weekday.  

Kidding! I'm just kidding.  

But still. Buy this game. 
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, I recently acquired a copy of ZHP, and started playing it. Here's my thoughts: 

Gameplay

For such an odd sounding game, the gameplay is pretty straightforward. It's a dungeon crawler (or roguelike, if you want to be technical). It's turn based, which is nice, and there are a lot of penalties for dying, like losing all of your money and items. Stat boosts remain though, which is awesome, because the entire point of the game is to level up and beat the final boss. Overall, the gameplay isn't really anything special, but it's good enough to be fun. 

Graphics

Being a PSP game, ZHP doesn't really wow from a technical perspective, but it's got a great art style. Well, it's pretty much just anime nonsense, but it fits well with the game's goofy tone, and keeps everything upbeat and cheery. Worth noting is that unlike most games with 2D sprites for characters, in this one, when you equip items/weapons, they actually change your appearance, which is great. Now I know that headgear such'n'such is made out of candles. Yup, there's a hat made out of candles. 

Music

The music in this game reminds me of another game. You know, that game where the music plays loudly, and constantly over the dialog. You know the one I'm talking about. The music does the same thing here, and it's pretty good too. I did turn it down a bit (and the dialog up a bit), but it's still pretty good. 

Story

Now here's the best part of ZHP. The plot here is simple enough, involving and evil lion-man thing, a super powered infant, a super hero who forgets to look both ways before crossing the street, training on Bizarro Earth, being married to a Prinny.... 

Okay, so it's not that simple, and so far it's not terribly deep (pretty much the old DBZ standby of "go train to get more powerful and defeat the villain"), but the amazing writing and great voice acting are what seal the deal. The game is absolutely hilarious. It's the little things, like how Darkdeath Evilman is described as being able to "Breath fire from his mouth." I don't really want to give too many more examples, because I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't played the game yet. 

So, while I haven't had a ton of time to play the game (about three hours), I can definitely say that this is one of the (if not the) best games I have played on the PSP. If you own a PSP, and you like dungeon crawlers, and especially if you like things that are crazy and Japanese, you really need to buy this game. It's about $30 on Amazon, and it's supposed to be fairly long (the marketing for the game claimed you could play it 40 million times too).  

Sadly though, I kinda of feel like my saying this is falling on deaf ears (eyes?). At this point, most people who want this game have probably already bought it. You know what would be great? If some website rose awareness for this game by playing through the entirety of it, along with color commentary. They could even put a video up every weekday.  

Kidding! I'm just kidding.  

But still. Buy this game. 
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I am super interested in this game, but by not owning a damn PSP, I'm afraid it's going to have to wait.  So many games I have yet to play on that little deal.  

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread

I love this game. I picked it up today and am still on the newbie dungeon, yet this is already looking as good as their SRPGS.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By RobotHamster

I saw this game a while back and I really wanted to play it.  Don't have a psp but I'll get around to it one day.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SuperWristBands

Yeah, this game is fucking bananas. I haven't had a lot of time to play it because I am, well, I'm trying to study more then I used to... it's not hard to do that though on account of me never really studying first semester...

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By luce

If Tactics Ogre wasn't coming out next week (plus Dragon Age 2 next month) I'd buy it but I'm broke as FUCK 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vonocourt

I'll put it on my list of odd little japanese rpgs I need to pick up, it's on the PSN store right? If so, I don't have to worry about getting it before it runs out of print.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By monetarydread
    @Vonocourt: Yeah, it is on PSN to download for like twentuy bucks.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vonocourt
    @MonetaryDread:
    Great, all I need is to get a memory stick pro duo to replace my 32MB that I got with my PSP and I can get it and P3P.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.