8-4 Play are joining the Giantbomb family.

• 108 results
BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By BBQBram

Oh cool, unexpected twists.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By patrickklepek

@Hailinel said:

@patrickklepek Very cool, Patrick. But I hope you realize that this won't absolve you of your own ignorance toward things like which Final Fantasy games Nomura actually worked on and in what capacity. :P

We intend to remain woefully ignorant about Japanese videogames for the foreseeable future. This will not stop that.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By TheHBK

Sorry, don't care.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By NegativeCero

Very cool, I've been listening since the beginning and they've always done a good job. Teaming up at TGS or something would be awesome in the future.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Hailinel
@patrickklepek

@Hailinel said:

@patrickklepek Very cool, Patrick. But I hope you realize that this won't absolve you of your own ignorance toward things like which Final Fantasy games Nomura actually worked on and in what capacity. :P

We intend to remain woefully ignorant about Japanese videogames for the foreseeable future. This will not stop that.

Heh. Well, the more things change...
EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By EvilKatarn

Huh, this sounds really interesting. Real coverage about Japanese games on my favourite site is definitely a thing I need.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By emergency

Interesting news, I've not really heard of them before...with the podcast on the site I'll be certain to give it a listen.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58  Edited By EuanDewar

Ok, I won't listen but that's neat I guess.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By efman

So the only change that is to take effect is that the 8-4 guys will transition their podcast feed from being published on 1UP's site to Giant Bomb's Podcast section from here on out? Their latest hasn't appeared on 1Up's site, for obvious reasons, based on this news.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By Rayeth

This is awesome! I've known Brendan Pritchard since high school. He has always been a cool dude and I'm glad his podcast is moving to my other favorite gaming site. Great times for all!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Ok so the podcast is going to be on the site now. Are they contributing to the site in other means?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

What does this mean for the Konami E3 press conference?!?!

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Coafi

As long as they keep the podcasts separate, I'm fine with it. Of course I'll check them out, but no merging.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Animasta

@Coafi said:

As long as they keep the podcasts separate, I'm fine with it. Of course I'll check them out, but no merging.

they're in Japan, ya know

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#65  Edited By jacksukeru

I remember seeing something about them on this site what must have been years ago, and then someone on the Bombcast mentioning that they had a podcast a while ago, which I looked for but never found.

Getting into podcasts is sometimes though but I'll give this one an honest shot.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Coafi

@Animasta said:

@Coafi said:

I had no idea, but what I meant was having half bombcast and half their stuff, that sort of merge. They can skype in or something, who knows.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Brendan

I still don't understand what's going on. Are 8-4 joining CBSi, or are they actually joining Giantbomb?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By mosespippy

@DeF: I believe it is still Mark's couch but Ryan is the (current) keeper of the couch. Patrick did have it for a while and I think Skip Pfister and Nick Suttner also had it at some point.

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Welding

I love to have a podcast on Giantbomb that actually understands what Monster Hunter is.

Superstoked about this!!

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Coafi

@Brendan: I think they are sort of joining GB, as in their podcast is going to be posted in the site, I'm still not sure Patrick said he was going to post the full details later today.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By supamon

Oh my god! My mind's blown. They frequently name drop each other so I know they were in contact often but I wouldn't have guessed this, awesome! The 8-4 guys do a great podcast (one of my favorites) and they like games the GB guys don't like like monster hunter and dark souls. Looking forward to see their collaboration.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By patrickklepek

@efman said:

So the only change that is to take effect is that the 8-4 guys will transition their podcast feed from being published on 1UP's site to Giant Bomb's Podcast section from here on out? Their latest hasn't appeared on 1Up's site, for obvious reasons, based on this news.

In the short term, yeah.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MiniPato

Awesome news. The two podcasts compliment eachother well. I always listen to Giant Bomb to hear about western games and 8-4 to hear about Japanese games.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By swoxx

Soo, what they said about no plans to take on more crew were just words then?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Animasta

@Coafi said:

@Animasta said:

@Coafi said:

I had no idea, but what I meant was having half bombcast and half their stuff, that sort of merge. They can skype in or something, who knows.

if alex wasn't gonna skype in I don't see why they would have the 8-4 guys skype in.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SlightConfuse

Yes 8-4 is awesome, so if they get to still do the podcast that is great. they are also a great localization company as well

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DeF

@mosespippy said:

@DeF: I believe it is still Mark's couch but Ryan is the (current) keeper of the couch. Patrick did have it for a while and I think Skip Pfister and Nick Suttner also had it at some point.

man, that couch is a whore :D

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#78  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

What? Who? Why?

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By The_Patriarch

@Swoxx: GB is gonna host a podcast that was previously hosted by 1UP. That's all. Relax.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#80  Edited By dvdhaus

Yeah all these people freaking out about what is happening, all this is is GB hosting the 8-4 play podcast. Period, no other details. They were already friends so the past interviews or guest appearances on the E3 show were because of being friends.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By kindgineer

So, are they literally join the Bombcast or will it just be under the same tab list we find the Radio Dave/Bombcast?

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I FEAR CHANGE!

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#83  Edited By fox01313

Wonder if this is going to be a new home for the Nintendo Download Xpress (via skype?)?

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Welding

@patrickklepek said:

@efman said:

In the short term, yeah.

What does it mean!?

Excited for what the future holds.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#85  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Well that's cool. Will be nice seeing the GB team to grow but hopefully the same crew at GB stays the focus for now.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By patrickklepek

@ccampb89 said:

So, are they literally join the Bombcast or will it just be under the same tab list we find the Radio Dave/Bombcast?

Just like Radio Dave/Bombcast. Nothing about the Bombcast changes, and if you don't wanna listen to 8-4, you don't have to! The site will just have more HOT CONTENT.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By alternate

@Swoxx said:

Soo, what they said about no plans to take on more crew were just words then?

? They are hosting a link to another podcast. That is hardly taking on extra staff, 1up didn't even provide hosting - just a link. They are separate companies - one press, one localization.

It is just cross-promotion. 8-4 hope that GB users who have not heard of them will have a listen. GB hopes that listeners and fans of 8-4 will visit the site that is hosting them and check it out. Win-Win.

I imagine they hope to get some Gamespot views hooked too - but I guess they were never going to get direct hosting by GS due to Mark having such a foul mouth :D

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#88  Edited By sjschmidt93

Hehe. I remember around the time that the Bombcast was going to be limited based on a subscription they made jokes about their podcast doing the same. They're a good podcast, especially around console launch times and important Japanese games (RE, MGS, everything Nintendo)

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By kindgineer

@patrickklepek said:

@ccampb89 said:

Just like Radio Dave/Bombcast. Nothing about the Bombcast changes, and if you don't wanna listen to 8-4, you don't have to! The site will just have more HOT CONTENT.

Cool stuff, never against adding more content to the site! Never heard of 8-4 before, but I guess this is the best way to get some exposure from people like me.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By napalm

@Bell_End said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Yet to listen to that podcast for some reason I need to start. Mark Macdonald is a pretty rad dude though, this is good news.

yeah i remember him and denis dyack falling out on the old 1up yours podcast

Hm. I remember a little bit about that episode, but I don't remember a "falling out".

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#91  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm not familiar with 8-4, but more content is never a bad thing. Especially content specializing in games that rarely get extensive coverage on the site right now.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By excast

Can't go wrong with more content, especially content involving stuff that the Giantbomb guys rarely get into.  Who knows, maybe we can even see Vinny make a guest appearance on the podcast the next time one of those evil Souls games come out.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#93  Edited By Little_Socrates

Wow, this is actually pretty exciting news. A convergence of the two fanbases would be awesome. And I just started listening to 8-4 a little while ago.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SuperWristBands

8-4play is almost as good as the bombcast. That may sound negative but is in fact very high praise. Love those guys/girl. So much fun to listen to. My second favourite podcast out there for sure!

I sometimes forget to go to 1up for new episodes so it'll be awesome to see them pop up on here. Speaking of forgetting new episodes, I better go get caught up on 8-4 now.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By psylah
@Excast said:
Can't go wrong with more content, especially content involving stuff that the Giantbomb guys rarely get into.  Who knows, maybe we can even see Vinny make a guest appearance on the podcast the next time one of those evil Souls games come out.
Unless he Skypes in at 3 am, I doubt it. The 8-4 offices are in Japan..
myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#96  Edited By myke_tuna

Never listened to 8-4 (been thinking about it, but I'm just lazy about it), but I guess I can start now. Hopefully, they do a quick "this is who we are" on the first podcast hosted on GB. I know of Mark and John from other things, but I'd like an introduction to the rest of the 8-4 crew.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By sockemjetpack

Bikini Riccardi? Why does that ring a bell...

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#98  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@DeF said:

@Baal_Sagoth said:

They announced a new mysterious host for the podcast last episode but I haven't listened to this one yet. I hope you're not fucking with us because this would be absolutely exciting news. I really enjoy their podcast and when I think about it Giantbomb is an excellent fit for what they do since the developer's and creator's perspective gets a lot of attention alongside the gamer's viewpoints. On top of that Japanese games are somewhat under-represented so this makes a lot of sense. Can't wait to hopefully enjoy the "Gaming Jesus's" show here soon!

I had a feeling it was gonna be either GB or Shacknews when they talked about that last time because they're all friends (didn't Ryan get his couch from Mark many years ago? ... and Patrick had it as well at some point?).

Finally some more Japanese-related content on GB. Though they're just hosting the podcast but still. Welcomed variety!

:)

Yeah, I immediately considered Shacknews too and thought that would be pretty likely. GB crossed my mind but somehow didn't seem realistic for some reason. Either way, this is legit and I love it! Hope it gets a nice reception from the community but I'm confident it will.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#99  Edited By MachoFantastico

Just listened, very much enjoyed it. Like the idea of gaming from the Japanese perspective.

I agree, we should totally have the Bombcast & 8-4 play podcast if or when Giantbomb visit Tokyo Game Show.

Always great to be introduced to new awesome podcasts so look forward to listening to it in the future.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By AuthenticM

Will all of their podcasts be posted here, or just the ones going forward? If they are that good, I want to listen to them all.