Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blackguards

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jan 22, 2014

A turn-based strategy RPG from Daedalic Entertainment.

Anybody Here Play Blackguards Early Access?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I'm just about wrapping up Valkyria Chronicles 2, and while my Vita is filled to the brim with SRPG classics and I'm not really clamoring for even more turnbased tactical RPGs, Blackguards has kinda caught my eye. The first two of five chapters have been on Steam's Early Access for awhile now, and I'm looking to get some feedback. The full game's out on the 24th of January, and from what I've watched on it on Youtube, it could be just what the doctor ordered.

If any of you guys has played it in-depth, what are the chances of this being great?

Looks promising, doesn't it?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Darji

I played it until chapter 3 and then wanted to wait for the full release. Overall it is pretty great and despite the bad voice acting I really like the characters and their personality. It is typical D&D RPG stuff but still fun to listen to. Combat wise it is good even though I must say I liked the combat of Banner Saga a bit more. since it was not in these hexes and a bit faster. Only gripe I have that i really could not find a Hunter (Ranged weapon guy in my party. So either I missed some character or you are a bit forced to make one yourself since they seem rather useful from Chapter 3 on.

Also another plus it is pretty big. I think I played like 20 hours for 3 of I think 5 chapters so there is a lot to do. Also many sidequests and rewards are waiting for you. Man with Might and Magic X and Blackguards releasing in 2 days I really have a lot to do^^

Also the first 4 chapters are at least available since they frequently updated the game with new chapters.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

I played it until chapter 3 and then wanted to wait for the full release. Overall it is pretty great and despite the bad voice acting I really like the characters and their personality. It is typical D&D RPG stuff but still fun to listen to. Combat wise it is good even though I must say I liked the combat of Banner Saga a bit more. since it was not in these hexes and a bit faster. Only gripe I have that i really could not find a Hunter (Ranged weapon guy in my party. So either I missed some character or you are a bit forced to make one yourself since they seem rather useful from Chapter 3 on.

Also another plus it is pretty big. I think I played like 20 hours for 3 of I think 5 chapters so there is a lot to do. Also many sidequests and rewards are waiting for you. Man with Might and Magic X and Blackguards releasing in 2 days I really have a lot to do^^

Also the first 4 chapters are at least available since they frequently updated the game with new chapters.

I've seen in some videos that the environments are interactive and destructible, and supposedly play quite a big role in combat. How has that aspect been in your experience?

And thanks for the feedback btw.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darji

@seppli said:

@darji said:

I've seen in some videos that the environments are interactive and destructible, and supposedly play quite a big role in combat. How has that aspect been in your experience?

And thanks for the feedback btw.

Yeah you can do some stuff like setting a table or barrel on fire or there are often a lot of traps on the map you also can use to your advantage but most of the other stuff it is for special "Boss" encounters which are often interesting and always different from the rest. I think it is still 30$ or Euro and for that price it is worth it if you like these kind of gamesI think.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darji

@seppli: Just to inform you. There is now or tomorrow a Demo available via steam which lets you play the first Chapter. It is not a big as the other chapter but you will get a nice look of the game and its mechanics.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

No, but watched a Lets play and have added it into my wishlist.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

@darji said:

@seppli: Just to inform you. There is now or tomorrow a Demo available via steam which lets you play the first Chapter. It is not a big as the other chapter but you will get a nice look of the game and its mechanics.

Thx for the heads-up. I'm installing it as we speak.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

btw. only German sites seem to carry the Blackguards demo currently, but the demo supports the English language too. I got it from here, in case anybody's interested in trying it out. It's the whole first chapter. Meaty.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Yeah that is where i got this news XD

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli

Just played a bit of it. The miss chances are crazy. I feel like more than half the time I'm missing or the cast fails, and another third of time I'm not dealing any damage when I land a hit.

It's based of the The Dark Eye ruleset, a German Dungeons and Dragons pen and paper competitor. While that shit may fly when playing with D20s, I don't enjoy that much randomness in my videogames. Blech.

I guess it's an acquired taste. Not for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.