Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Thoughts on the main campaign *Spoilers*

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ben99

I thought it was epic . Memorable characters like Woods ,Bowman , Hudson and of course Resnov  . The set pieces , script and soundtrack  was again EPIC .  
    What I didn't like of the campaign is when I was playing as Resnov (or was it his friend?) in the snow with much older weapons to capture a German scientist .    
    Discuss .

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By tallTuck94

i don't see what was so epic about woods, he was generic as hell, mason bored the shit out of me as a character too 
    however resnov, hudson and bowman were very cool and i actually like that resnov level 
    only thing i'm disapointed about is a lack of a playable British character but hey ho can't get all you want

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Wuddel

Well, it is good for a FPS, and I actually like the WoW/Blops storyline more than the modern warfare. But it is still a rather flat "action movie 101" story none the less. Plot twists were pretty obvious. Reznov is the only really interesting character in there. I liked the level, although the existence of that german base did not make sense to me.

Tairoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tairoku

Treyarch makes some tonally dark games. Both  WaW and Black Ops are hella dark. Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty 4 don't stand up to how fucking rank and kinda edgy Black Ops can get.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#5  Edited By donutfever

Memorable Characters?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By BaneFireLord

Wait a minute...Black Ops has a story?
    :)

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Example1013

Reznov goes down as one of the better characters made in recent years. Honestly, he's my absolute favorite part of the single player.

Although Veteran hasn't allowed me to enjoy much of the campaign, I'll be honest.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

No Caption Provided
    In my opinion they were all very forgettable.
    As fr the campaign moments the only one that stood out for me was the level with the rocket launch.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Tennmuerti said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    In my opinion they were all very forgettable. "
    The only level that I really remember was when you see Mason behaving as if he's Reznov and assassinating the German dude (was he German? I don't remember...).

In fact, the only thing I liked about the entirety of BlOps was Reznov. And Nixon, but that's another story for another day. Terrible campaign and terrible story IMO.
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont get how woods won character of the year at the vga's...  *sighhh*  ill never get over that

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaneDev

I thought it was a kind of propaganda plot about how Americans are great. The whole thing was total nonsense in the same way MW2 was but that was slightly better nonsense. They seems to really stress how evil the Soviets are like how they use Nazi scientists so its okay to murder them all but American used Nazi scientists as well so to me it seemed like a weird thing to point out. American commandos launch deadly raids on Soviet facilities inside the USSR involving massive firefights and their seems to be no repercussions. All of the Vietnam stuff to me felt extremely flat and a little bit pointless it seemed more like it was put in there because the Vietnam war just happened to be one of the big events of time like why would the Russians test this stuff in Vietnam and risk getting it discovered by the US or having the big secret plot discovered? Why would Reznov and the player guy from WaW be selected to go to the German Nova 6 base when they where just two guys in the massive Russian army attacking Berlin? The cold war, especially the 60's was a very rough time in US-Russian relations but Dragovich seems to lead the USSR himself with no mention of anyone else.

The story make no sense and the whole thing reeks of America was the force of good and the USSR was evil. I think this is enforced by the fact they dont really mention anything about Vietnams background or conclusion and they only focus on JFK  seen as a really swell guy who had his life tragically cut short and never even mention LBJ the dude who kept the Vietnam war going for like 6 years and everyone disliked.The characters where all terrible too apart from  Reznov and that was frankly because of how good a job Gary Oldman did with the voice work. I think Hudson/Ed Harris was alright but everyone else was forgettable.  

I know this is just a game but I hate this kinda of doctoring of history in any form the Cold War a very interesting time in world history and  a rough time in the histories of the US and the USSR but this game totally ignores all of it. I felt like it could have been a really interesting story but it just never happened. 

EDIT: oh I wrote a lot about that :P

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Capum15

I thought it was alright. Really fun, and the post-credits cutscene was the best ever. Ever. Damn it was good.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshy9411
    @ShaneDev:  dude....americans for you :P
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog

The best Call of Duty Campaign so far. Also, how is Bowman more memorable than Weaver? Woods is pretty generic, Mr. Shades is awesome and of course, Reznov. Sure, he's no Price, but he's getting there. As for Mason, well, at least he wasn't a floating camera, so it's all good. Treyarch definitely makes better Call of Duty games than Infinity Ward. I hope they make one in a modern setting.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By warxsnake

Relentless, paceless, headache inducing, Best-Used-With-ADD campaign.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013
    @ShaneDev: I think the focus, from what I can tell, is how the USSR wasn't even really completely the evil force of the Cold War, and that the real evil was actually just Dragovich and Krevchenko, rather than the country or even the government as a whole. Dragovich was actually working behind the scenes for his own machinations, and since he had direct control over Nova 6, he was able to threaten the U.S. just by himself, whether or not the Kremlin was behind him.

In fact, I don't think he even necessarily had the Kremlin's support, because at that point, both countries knew that direct confrontation would lead to MAD, so the USSR government actually greenlighting the Nova 6 attack, knowing the response it would provoke, is beyond suspension of belief even in a game as whacked out as blops.

In other words, Dragovich was acting on his own, and the U.S. (more specifically, the Black Ops teams) managed to stop a holocaust that would have destroyed the entire world, including both themselves and Russia.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaneDev
    @example1013: Yeah, I am not really sure what to make of the plot I am sure some one out there could fully explain it. I got that it was probably Dragovich working by himself to make Nova 6 but it makes no sense what he was going to do after he launches the attack like Mason says in the last level he wants to invade the US but MAD would mean there would be nothing there  to conquer. Now that I think about that what was Dragovich's motive? I mean he didn't seem like the biggest supporter of Communism and he personally works with and seems very friendly with a Nazi. His motive in game is that he is the "bad guy" just has to do it. They take a weird tone with this game its not sense-able enough to be realistic and its not quite wacky enough to be James Bond to me at least.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Example1013
    @ShaneDev: I think Dragovich wanted basically world domination. I think he wanted to rule everything. Maybe he thought he could take the U.S. by surprise, and then just get Moscow afterwards. I don't know, though. It really kinda seems like Treyarch didn't put a lot of thought into his motivations as a character.

And that's actually sort of a problem with many stories that have a guy who's evil for the sake of being evil. The character really has no substance. I mean, what motivation could he possibly have for his actions? It's like the designers make an antagonist, and know what he's going to do, but never bother to figure out why.

That kind of bugs me when it happens.
    Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Eidderf

Just seemed kind of average to me,  just reminded me a lot of the previous 2 modern warfare campaigns. It wasn't bad and it was an entertaining play through but it wasn't particularly memorable in any way either, at least to me.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By tallTuck94
    @valrog: bowman is better because he's voiced by ice cube weaver was very bland
    Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ben99

Anyone ever thought how interesting it could have been if there was a leveling up system as you progress in the campaign?  like a 100 pops on the screen when you kill someone  and you use the XP  just like the multiplayer so you could get better weapons the more you advance in the game .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.