Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

2 questions for the PC port.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

So I already have Dark Souls on PS3, but I kinda wanna try it out on PC since I never even beat the game, and I wanna play it before Dark Souls 2 comes out. But I got a few questions.

1. On Amazon, it says you need Windows Live in order to play, but I'm pretty sure Windows Live is done, so what do I do about that?

2. Is the PC version better enough than the console version to get it?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You should wait until we find out the answer to number 1 before buying it. We don't know if the PC version of Dark Souls is going to become useless or if they're going to convert it to Steam or what's going to happen to it. No matter what happens, it seems like old PC saves will disappear once Games For Windows Live is fully shut down.

If it remains playable, then you should absolutely get the PC version of Dark Souls. With DSFix applied to that game, it looks great and runs at 60FPS without issue.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@believer258: Is that the only mod that one should get or DSFix is really the only one necessary?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258: Is that the only mod that one should get or DSFix is really the only one necessary?

As far as I know, DSFix is the only one really necessary. It's the one that allows you to easily change resolutions and uncap the framerate, among several other things.

You're going to have to find some other way to enable VSync if screen tearing bothers you, though.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@nightriff said:

As far as I know, DSFix is the only one really necessary. It's the one that allows you to easily change resolutions and uncap the framerate, among several other things.

You're going to have to find some other way to enable VSync if screen tearing bothers you, though.

Yeah, DSFix is the only needed one. I did get the "YOU DEFEATED" old texture pack, a higher res texture pack, and a better flora texture pack though.

Game looks pretty fucking great. Only slowdowns seem to happen when it spawns enemies in an area for the first time during the session, nice and smooth afterwards.

And yeah, there's no real say yet on what'll happen for GFWL yet.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh, crap. Is the GFWL thing still an unknown?

I just started playing it on PC and I'm having a surprisingly good time... :(

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@kaos_cracker:

1: as far as I know you can always download Windows Live from some source and create a offline profile. You won't be able to play online (obviously) but you shouldn't have any other problems. That's how I enjoy playing. If you buy the game you should do the same because if you don't use an offline profile you won't be able to access you save game when GFWL goes down.

2: it's the same game. Contains Astorias of The Abyss also. You can make it look a bit better and change the fps with DSfix. That's about it I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.