Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

need tips for new dark souls player

MarvelDc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarvelDc

Just started playing ds went with warrior and when i leveled up i put all my souls into strength putting it to 30. I got to the capra demon and he just two shot me basically going through my heater sheild and taking 3/4 of my health. Now i would like to know what i am doing wrong here was it bad that i put all my souls into str? Oh yea my weapon that i was using was the halbred +3 and still had the starting warrior gear.

Also with weapon scaling does a weapon do the same base damage regardless what my str is?

DweezilX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey Marvel,

Capra is one of the hardest bosses in DS, his room is so small that there is no maneuvering space. I don't think you are doing much wrong, I wouldn't have put all those points into strength but everybody plays this game differently. Remember that stamina is key, without it you can't block, hit or roll. You might want to try farming up some souls to put points into stamina, vitality is also good if you find you are getting one shot by stuff. Your weapon and gear are good, maybe try upgrading your halberd some more (you can buy the titanite shards from the blacksmith to get it to +5) but gear doesn't really matter to me at least. If you are still down on Capra I would say try taking off enough armor where you can fast roll and try doing that because when rolling you are invincible. My tactic for fighting him is run in and off that dog ASAP, dodge Capra and run up the stairs to your left then kill the second dog and then you just have to not get hit by the big dude. Good luck! Oh and weapon scaling increases the damage, but the base damage will always look the same, if you look at the stats it will say like 90 base damage +200 or something and that +200 is what you are getting from attributes.

Dweez

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your weapon has any scaling it'll tell you on its stats screen. You'll get a boost depending on it's scaling (from S - E). Check your status screen to see how much your R-hand weapon does when it's one handed and two handed. Also, endurance is huge as it dictates so much from your running speed to how many attacks you can reliably pull off.

Capra's terrible. The general consensus is to head for the stairs and play some cat and mouse with him. It also gives you a chance to dispatch the dogs he has with him. If you have any spare resins, give it a go.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As others have said you can see your weapon stat scaling on the weapon or stats screen. The halberd for example has I think D in Strength and D in Dex. Overall dumping into Strength isn't too bad, although in general I think prioritizes some early endurance is a very safe way to go.

Overall though if you've gotten to the Capra Demon you're probably not doing too badly. I expect this to be an "I'm stuck on the Taurus Demon" post. Just keep at it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If you made it to the Capra demon boss, you can probably beat this game.

I do think that putting all your points into strength wasn't such a hot idea but people have finished this game with way crazier builds so you should be OK. You might be locked into playing that game as, to use a Vinnyism, "a slab of concrete", but you can finish it.

Just be patient and keep trying. Don't do the same thing over and over, try different tactics, think about what other ways you could approach this guy.

Capra's pretty tough, for the record.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

Point 20 is very relevant to you.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Luca717

When i played, i guess i went another way that made me skip the Depths, and i went back later when i was way too over leveled and killed it in a few swings. But if i have a suggestion for you, its don't get used to a shield, this is, if your a player who uses big strong weapons like i did. I got a Black Knight Sword early on my first play through as a drop, and literally used that the whole game. Once you get used to light armor, high damage two handed attacks, you will just win everything

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.