Quick Look: Darksiders

#101 Posted by MmmSkyscraper (316 posts) -

WTF at the monster dude running on the spot cos he can't cross the chasm from 1m 22s onward.  Reminds me of Driv3r when the cops/pedestrians would run into walls and keep running.

#102 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -

Are you people kidding me, I think this game looks amazing! I will wait for the review before I go out and buy it, but otherwise I'm stoked!
#103 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@DukeTogo said:
" Totally not the fault of GB, but the game is really generic and linear for the first hour, which is what this QL covered part of.  Later on the game is very much like Ocarina in how it plays and progresses.  Too bad they didn't play it a bit and had a save from later on to show this.  I'm upset that the game will likely get a bad rep based on early impressions, of the first section, even though it's the devs fault to design it that way.  The review should reflect the better parts of the game, while it's not a blockbuster, it's an above average action RPG that really doesn't have any competition this side the last console zelda game. "
Yeah, I think this is the reason they chose not to put up a demo.  The game starts off very linear and combat based, it's not surprising that so many people seem to think it's just a God of War style hack and slash.

@AndrewB said:
" So I'm really glad for Quick Looks. Usually, I can't be bothered to download and play a demo myself, and having heard so much raving about how cool this game is, I was thinking of picking it up; but it's nothing like what I expected. This looks like one of the most uninspired games I've seen in a long time. From the over graphical direction, to the UI, to the basic premise of the gameplay. God of War as a button masher with more leveling up mechanics.  But whatever... can't judge a game entirely based off a 30 minute video. "

This is exactly what I'm talking about, and I don't blame you for thinking this, but I'd really encourage you to look into it a little more.  As the game opens up, the adventure elements really shine through.  Although it does place a lot of emphesis on the combat, the game is more akin to Zelda, Arkham Asylum or even the old Soul Reaver games.  There's a large world to explore, dungeons you have to beat, a lot of cool gadgets to optain and you even get a horse to make traveling around quicker later on.

It's a shame it's getting neglected so much due to sharing a release with Bayonetta, because it's easily the better game.
#104 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

Looks like a perfect GameFly game to pass  time on the weekend when no other games are out.

#105 Edited by Spacetrucking (947 posts) -

This game is drawing from so many different sources...I wonder how they all fit together. Also, War looks a lot like Arthas, the Lich king.

#106 Posted by Milkman (17340 posts) -

Meh.

#107 Posted by Duckbutter (412 posts) -

these graphics blow. they blow. shame on them

#108 Posted by lastdual (16 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
It's a shame it's getting neglected so much due to sharing a release with Bayonetta, because it's easily the better game. "
I don't know about that. 

Bayonetta is a flat-out awesome beat-em-up. Heck, it makes the gameplay in God of War III feel stale and boring by comparison (going by the GOW3 demo). You might not like the over-top-style, but the game is at the top of its class.

Darksiders is a totally different style of game from what I've seen, much more akin to Zelda. I'm really quite tempted to pick it up, as I love action-adventure games and there frankly aren't enough of them, but the devs should have known better than to include such blatant tutorial sections. Tutorials should always be subtle, and always be short. That the game gets a lot better later on doesn't change the fact that these sections should have been cut.
#109 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

This looks cool, like God of War with DMC inspired combat. I'm officially interested. Looks much better than Dante's Inferno. I also think Jeff is underselling the combat, I've heard him say the same thing about DMC's combat being 'just mash whatever' which could not be more wrong.

I don't know about the challenge stuff in the back half of the video though, I hate that kind of arbitrary 'We're gonna put a timer on the screen and make you kill enemies with this specific move' type stuff, if you want to make it for bonuses that's fine but don't require it for progression. At least it looked easy.

#110 Posted by RichieJohn (527 posts) -

This properly makes me want a PS3 now!!

#111 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

Am I the only one who's reminded of the Batman: Arkham Asylum Quick Look here?

Ryan was very dismissive while playing it, mainly because he hadn't gotten deep enough into the meat and mechanics of the game.
This of course lead to pages and pages of "Looks pretty boring" posts.

Quicklooks have to be taken for what they are - quick looks, not reviews.

#112 Posted by Kirathian (67 posts) -

Great game is great.  You could tell Jeff was getting into it when he found out that the other weapons were set to the "Y" button.  That opens up the combat way more than hitting just X and R2 for THE FREAKIN' HORN.  Looking forward to more of Jeff's impressions on the next Bombcast.  I hope he enjoys it!

#113 Posted by Addfwyn (1947 posts) -

Had some interest in the game at first, cause I heard all these glowing early impressions... 

But after seeing the gameplay?  I can do without a game that consists of just hammering X, even God of War has more involved combat than that.  Nevermind those obnoxious challenge rooms that just seem to be a way for the designers to get around having to make any compelling combat scenarios.

#114 Posted by Tordah (2488 posts) -

It looks like the game has a lot of potential to become great once you unlock more stuff. I really liked that scythe.

#115 Posted by jkz (4062 posts) -

Hmmmm....I feel like, after watching this, that the game almost seems made for Apocalyptic (Hard). It seems odd that that would be true, but on Hard it's vital to dash/counter, while on normal it seems like you don't really need to.

#116 Posted by ki11tank (683 posts) -

i gotta say they picked a pretty poor point to show as a quick look it doesn't really do it justice. so far i've enjoyed the game more than whats in the quick look. i know it's not on purpose just letting the people know it has more to offer than what the vid shows.

#117 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

Is that guy wielding Frostmourne?

#118 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

They should have made a game called the outsiders!

#119 Posted by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" They should have made a game called the outsiders!
"
I'm listenin'...
#120 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @TheHBK said:
"
I'm listenin'... "
HEY YO!
#121 Posted by Ghostiet (5341 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @ProfessorEss said:
" @TheHBK said:
"
I'm listenin'... "
HEY YO! "

Or Modern Talking.
#122 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1837 posts) -

I picked this game up a few days ago. I'm about 10 hours into it and I'm really loving it so far. The combat is great and the puzzles are pretty fun, not to mention this game has some pretty wicked boss fights. This QL is definitely not a good representation of the full game, and the combat does not at all consist of buttonmashing from beginning to end. Anyone who thought this looked interesting before should really play it for themselves before jumping to conclusions based on this relatively short video.

#123 Edited by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

The angels and demons plus the the protagonist being one of the horsemen of the apocalypse is off-putting, same problems I have with Bayonetta.  The gameplay looks fun and combo-ee in a God of War type of way.  The later LOZ mechanics that everyone is talking about sounds intriguing. 

#124 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1899 posts) -

i maintain my stance that this game looks pretty awesome. i'll have to wait until it goes down it price to afford it, though.

#125 Edited by Blair (2531 posts) -

I have zero interest in this (the game, not the Quick Look).

#126 Posted by mracoon (4979 posts) -

It actually looks quite fun but I can see it getting very repetitive.

#127 Posted by Lowbrow (840 posts) -

Its probably been said before, but this game looks like God of War: Of Warcraft.

#128 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

Once you get the Redemption gun and team up with Ulthane, the game takes a better turn. From then on, the gameplay becomes consistently fun. Oh, it is better on apocalyptic, because the other difficulties are too easy.

#129 Posted by RVonE (4703 posts) -
@Gregomasta said:
"The angels and demons plus the the protagonist being one of the horsemen of the apocalypse is off-putting, same problems I have with Bayonetta.  The gameplay looks fun and combo-ee in a God of War type of way.  The later LOZ mechanics that everyone is talking about sounds intriguing.  "

Why is that off-putting?
#130 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

Looks like it could be good, but far too repetitive.

#131 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1837 posts) -

It's actually not really that repetitive. You're always being introduced to new gameplay mechanics, weapons, enemies, and also have the option to purchase all kinds of new moves and items. In the beginning, there's less of this, though. The first hour or two, you have two weapons: the sword and the scythe, both of which have limited moves and powers. There are also two sections with the challenge rooms like the ones shown in the QL that kind of serve as tutorials for how use early game mechanics or deal with certain situations. Though later in game, whenever you get something new you are usually faced with several puzzles and fights that naturally teach you how to use these things rather than send you to another contrived tutorial room, which works pretty well. There are also a few great sequences that break up the normal action, such a rail-shooter segment that heavily reminded me of Panzer Dragoon.

#132 Posted by Kraznor (1588 posts) -

Huh, doesn't look especially unique but could be fun. Probably play Bayonetta first but I could see myself checking this out sometime.

#133 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

Please stop doing Quick Looks if you haven't played through the game a little bit.  This is more like a first impression.  The Borderlands quick look was awesome because it was informative and gave a good telling of all the features and modes the game offers.  This quick look doesn't have a chance to do that because it was made almost as soon as the game came out of the box.

I know it's important to get content up as quickly as possible for stuff but you'll look like an idiot when the game you're calling as "meh" turns out to be pretty awesome later and vice versa.  I know many of you probably won't agree with me, but I'd like these videos to be the best they can be.  Every other site has "first impression" videos.  Why can't quick looks be different?  The Borderlands quick look was different; this should be too.

#134 Posted by KinjiroSSD (694 posts) -

Looks a lot fun in a simple video game way

#135 Posted by dagas (2930 posts) -

LOL 

X,X 
X,X,X 
X,X,X,X 
Some nice button mashing combos there ^^

#136 Posted by azrael76 (10 posts) -

OK this has caught my attention.
#137 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I'm digging the artistic style for this game. Yes I don't mind the wow-like cartoonishness.

#138 Posted by vinsanity09 (212 posts) -
@Oni said:

" Oh man bummer that you had to start at the beginning of that challenge crap. It kind of bogs the game down, it happens occasionally that you have to clear a few of those to progress, and it's needless game padding, but outside of that it's totally awesome. "

yeah, this quick look doesn't do the game justice, it's so much more than that. and I think that I had to clear those challenges rooms only 2 other time, and I'm in the last dungeon. If you like Zelda, you'll 
absolutely  love this game
#139 Edited by Scotto (1221 posts) -
@mordecaix7: 

The entire point of Quick Looks is to be a "first impression" of the gameplay, which is precisely why they typically don't offer a ton of editorial commentary on the quality of the game in the videos.  Unless of course it's a howler of a game.

I don't get how people accuse them of basically not showing the "right parts" of the game, to do it justice.  The part of the game they showed in this video is as much a part of the game as anything else.  Great, the game get's better when it isn't being bogged down by these 'challenge rooms" - so what?

You're constantly being given new weapons and abilities?  Great.  Jeff showed some of that towards the end, and seemed intrigued by it. 

The only objectives of a quick look are to simply show some unedited footage of gameplay - sometimes that footage might occur during a "good part", and sometimes it might not.  The point isn't to edit together a montage of all the different things the game has to offer.  That isn't their problem.

If you want an overview of the game's quality as a whole, read the review.  This isn't a review.

- Scott
#140 Posted by squidracerX (786 posts) -

A. Alter Echo was on PS2 as well, I beat it for some reason.... 
B. This is very unoriginal... I wonder why it was green lit to be made? Doesn't look bad actually, but i want to buy all the games it steals concepts from first, and by that time this will be bargain bin price. I mean jeez there are almost infinite ideas out there, ask any gamer and they will have alt least one cool game planned out in their heads, so why did the money go behind this rehash of ideas???? Again doesn't look bad to me, I'd buy it at a discount, but why not something new to put millions behind?
C. This looks like what Brutal Legend should have been more like. Double Fine coulda teamed up with these guys; and had double fine do the characters, art, soundtrack, and story (since this looks unoriginal and bland), and then had these guys do the gameplay. This could go nicely with heavy metal!

#141 Posted by Pkshields (811 posts) -

Looks very generic and repetitive, I'd wait for the review

#142 Edited by Crushed (884 posts) -
@Scotto said:

" @mordecaix7:   The entire point of Quick Looks is to be a "first impression" of the gameplay, which is precisely why they typically don't offer a ton of editorial commentary on the quality of the game in the videos.  Unless of course it's a howler of a game. I don't get how people accuse them of basically not showing the "right parts" of the game, to do it justice.  The part of the game they showed in this video is as much a part of the game as anything else.  Great, the game get's better when it isn't being bogged down by these 'challenge rooms" - so what?  You're constantly being given new weapons and abilities?  Great.  Jeff showed some of that towards the end, and seemed intrigued by it.   The only objectives of a quick look are to simply show some unedited footage of gameplay - sometimes that footage might occur during a "good part", and sometimes it might not.  The point isn't to edit together a montage of all the different things the game has to offer.  That isn't their problem.  If you want an overview of the game's quality as a whole, read the review.  This isn't a review. - Scott "

Problem: you get dozens on people watching and commenting on GB and other sites, who take Quick Looks to be the Word of God and decide to buy or skip a game based on it (especially when GB only posts a QL and never gets around to reviewing it), no matter what the stated intent of QLs are.
#143 Edited by 777to7 (4 posts) -

I sincerely hope visitors/subscribers to this website aren't allowing these rather lacklustre Quick Look vids to influence any of their game purchasing decisions. Seriously, is it really too much to ask that whosoever is actually playing the games in these vids, become at least SOMEWHAT PROFICIENT with the controls/game-play mechanics/combat, etc. beforehand?!?!  And no excuse - if you can't talk & play simulataneously, then play first and add the silly commentary later, how hard is that. You're supposed to be professional video-game journalists who do this stuff for a living but if your talents are limited to writing & talking, then hire somebody who's competent with a controller in their hands to 'play' the games on your behalf, especially in a 30 minute vid featuring gameplay, pretty please...
#144 Posted by clush (428 posts) -

For a game with such a bullshit setting it seems to be taking itself way too seriously. It's like heavy metal without the irony... kinda pathetic, or, at best, not my cup of tea. Doesn't look like something I would enjoy.

Oh, the fourth horseman is Famine.

#145 Posted by Scotto (1221 posts) -
@Crushed: 

I'm sure that might be true.  Unfortunately, that isn't really Giant Bomb's problem.

- Scott
#146 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Looks rather good & should be a lot of fun for a rent, curious after seeing this how the game goes once you get your steed.
#147 Posted by HaYHaYHaY (151 posts) -

lol...  MOM!!!!!!
#148 Posted by TheHT (11827 posts) -

wow this game looks better than it reads (ign review).

and really, Alter Echo? really?

#149 Edited by 777to7 (4 posts) -
@Scotto: 
No offence. But for the young, lazy and impressionable casual visitors of websites such as this one (of which I'm sure there are many), when and where do they stumble upon the implicit/explicit 'intention' of a Quick Look video compared to that of a Q&A, Preview, etc.? No doubt GiantBomb is within its legal, moral and ethical rights, but where is the journalistic foresight? Hopefully they want games to succeed/fail on their own merits rather than by virtue of these vacuous Quick Look vids that offer precious little in the way of journalistic or gaming value. Worse still, I've seen vids of this kind reposted on YouTube and relabelled as reviews which is extremely misleading to the less uninformed amongst us... Even if the accompanying commentary is largely devoid of editorial opinion regarding quality of gameplay, etc. it can be potentially harmful to the game's pre-release reputation leading to adverse consequences post-release. Lastly, Very First Impressions would probably be a more apt title for these vids, because 30 minutes is extremely long compared to the average length of gameplay, preview or even full review videos; plus a disclaimer at the beginning to say that they're painfully unfamiliar with the control scheme and hence why they might 'suck' during actual gameplay might be nice.   
#150 Posted by Wes899 (2128 posts) -
@777to7: I think you're taking this too seriously. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.