Combine: Atari

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff

Okay, so we have three Atari pages.  Now, I would have guessed ahead of time that the division would be that one of these pages was intended for the old Atari and one was for the new Atari (Infogrames).  The problem though is that all three have a deck that describes the original company.  The "Atari Inc." page seems to have more stuff attached to it, but who knows if it's even done correctly.  Anyone want to help sort this out? 

Atari 
Atari, Inc. 
Atari Corporation 

Infogrames Entertainment 
Atari UK

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Not_Rage:  

Just to be clear, can you denote which wikipedia link applies to which GB page?   

The major issue is where people are attaching games.  The "current" Atari is Atari UK, right?  Yet, we're getting Dragon Ball Z games attached to the old company.    
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Not_Rage

I tried but got lost. "Atari" and "Atarai, Inc." on GB seem to be the same, but were meant to be different companies.  Like you mentioned, games are attached to the wrong pages,  which makes it even more confusing.  TBH a lot of company pages are like this on GB.  

Maybe if someone quits their job they can figure this mess out, along with the Konami pages. And "Sony", "Sony Coproration", "SCEA" and so on......

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marino  Staff

Yeah, it's tough trying to go back and correct this stuff.  I'm just trying to do what I can to correct it and make it clear which one is which for going forward.  Then we can work on the laborious task of fixing the games that are already attached.

JohnTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By JohnTheGamer

Well I have plenty of old Atari 2600 games and they are all published by Atari, Inc. I do have one that was published in the late eighties that was published by Atari Corporation. The wikipedia page, here, is quite detailed and lists the "different" Ataris and it matches up with my info.  

Are you wanting to consolidate most everything into one Atari and list the different versions of Atari in the page or break them all up and keep them separate but correct the info? Either way would seem good but if we keep multiple Ataris, there'll always be someone who isn't proficient with the wiki that'll just add the first one. 

Like the Konami problem, tough tits.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marino  Staff

I don't think there should just be one Atari page.  There should be one for the original and one for the current one.  Then there should be separate ones for specific dev studios that use the name, such as Atari UK.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

"In the cases of publishers that have since been acquired and folded into other companies they will be credited as their most recent incarnation." - From Wiki FAQ 

So I don't think there should be one for the original....unless its really significant.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Marino  Staff

Well, in the case of Atari, I think there was a period of time where there was no Atari.  Then Infogrames bought the rights to use the name.  So in this case, I think there should be a page for the original.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By mracoon

I made a thread on this ages ago but I can't seem to find it. Basically, I was saying that Atari went through several distinct stages of existence but the pages don't reflect that. I don't know enogh about Atari to fill those pages in but there definitely needs to be changes made to them.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Marino said:
" Well, in the case of Atari, I think there was a period of time where there was no Atari.  Then Infogrames bought the rights to use the name.  So in this case, I think there should be a page for the original. "
These type of issues are a gray area that's for sure.