Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jax

Coming from a submissions moderator:

There is a relatively small number of submission moderators right now, and the queue is huge. I understand you guys are writing your fingers off; but you need to understand that once you submit your change/article/addition - it sits behind a long line of other submissions. Some submissions get rejected because they aren't correct, or they are plagarized. Some get removed because they are redundant and someone already made a better post about it. People need to stop worrying about points - this website is GROWING. Wikipedia wasn't built in a day, and niether was Rome.

Why do you think Jeff, Vinny and Ryan didn't say "screw user submited" let's just copy and paste from wiki and other gaming websites - and start off with every game known to man. Because.... there is no fun in that, and there is no effort and comradry in that. We are GB and this website is our pride and joy (at least mine). Stop being in a rush to get things out the door, and please stop being in a rush to raise your point count. I think the point count is what is making things stack up. People are too eager to be #1.

It's a process guys, so please bear with us on this. Most of us spend our free time aproving submissions, but more keep coming. We're not saying it's a bad thing, but the things really backed up right now and it seems like some people in the community don't understand this. So please, be patient and keep doing what you're doing, and we'll keep doing what we're doing and Giant Bomb will blow up. (No pun intended) :)

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

amen. Seriously people need to lay off of the submission criticizm. they have gotten over a 100k submissions so its going to take a very long time

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

there should never have been a point count, stuff like that all ways causes problems.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Riddler

NO!!! Piss OFF,  it took me 2 hours to write my J Allard page and its been 4 days and its still not up. as long as that page is not up my rage wont die !!!! I BLAME YOU GERTSMANN!!!!!!!!!!

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By METALM1LITIA91
WilliamRLBaker said:
"there should never have been a point count, stuff like that all ways causes problems.
"

if there wasn't do you think there would be many people trying to help build the database?
tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By tec3297

I know I'm not eager to be number 1, but I am eager to reach 1000 pts so that I can start getting my information and screenshots up right away.

Clint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Clint

A couple more points to add to this line of discussion, from another subs moderator:

• It's been mentioned that you should do an advanced search before you suggest new pages, which I would like to re-emphasize, but please also note that the search engine hiccups a bit if your search query has a colon in it, so if you're submitting, for instance, Resistance: Retribution, search up Resistance instead of the whole title.
  • Please, please, please put down what type of change you are making in the box at the bottom. Are you relating similar games?  Are you adding games to a character?  If you're making changes to article text, what section is it from?  These things really help us prioritize and streamline when approving submissions.  "Adding information" doesn't really help us, because hopefully that's what you're all doing! =)
  • I will re-emphasize that we'd like Giant Bomb to be fresh and original.  If people want information from Wikipedia, they'll go there.  Let's build our own world here, yeah?
  • Finally, please be patient with us.  You're going to get a lot of stuff rejected because in 3+ days' time, other people are going to come up with the same characters to add and similar games to relate and all these other wonderful things as you do.  As Jax said, it's a process, we're doing our best to make it work, and we're all together on this.

Hang in there and keep up the good work, everyone!  Remember to not be bitter about points, they're just a number.  I'm constantly amazed at what everyone is coming up with (someone please fill in the grass concept page we just approved with ridiculous minutiae)!
MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MichaelScott

Agreed.

I don't want to get to be number one I just want 1000. Don't mind waiting.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MOLE

How would the crew at Giantbomb know someone copied and paste from Wikipedia?

Clint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clint

GMOLE said:

"How would the crew at Giantbomb know someone copied and paste from Wikipedia?
"

Easy, we Google everything we get.
Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jax

=) Don't think we just submit anything without doing some research :p

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Absurd
Clint said:
"GMOLE said:
"

"

No wonder it takes so long to moderate things D:
MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MOLE
Clint said:
"GMOLE said:
"

"

Wait, are you telling me you are part of the Giantbomb crew???

you said "we", so that must mean you are working there with them....

How come it doesn't say  Staff or Moderator at the bottom of your avatar?
Clint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Clint

Submissions moderators don't have forum tags yet.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MOLE
Clint said:
"Submissions moderators don't have forum tags yet.
"

I see
Clint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Clint
Absurd said:
"No wonder it takes so long to moderate things D:
"
No, it takes so long because there are almost 15,000 of you submitting excellent work!
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Termite

Nicely said Jax, it doesn't matter how many points you have it matters that you are proud of your contribution to the community.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By calf_exercises

ahah, yes its not about points, its about sharing you knowlage with the comunity and having fun!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike
MOLE said:
"Clint said:
"GMOLE said:
"

"

Wait, are you telling me you are part of the Giantbomb crew???

you said "we", so that must mean you are working there with them....

How come it doesn't say  Staff or Moderator at the bottom of your avatar?"
Take a look at my new blog entry for some clarification on this subject. 

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I'm sure you guys know this already, but I'm going to say it anyway.  No one is making threads saying "I know how hard you guys are working on our submissions, but I summited a page two and a half days ago, and it still isn't up.  I would like to say that's fine, and you guys take all the time you need," but a lot of us are thinking it.  Don't let a few impatient forum users get you down.  Some people just like to bitch. : )

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By bwooduhs

For all those complaining you just need to rememver it wont be the end of the world if you have to wait.