Exploring Space - Planning phase

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Edited By jaqen_hghar

I briefly got into Elite: Dangerous before it got out, but realized I wanted to play it with proper equipment once it released. Being slow as usual, I only got my cheap HOTAS setup early January 2015. I set it all up, got into the game, and played for a bit, before being swallowed up by Warframe again. But I had already hatched a plan, a trip I wanted to do. And by writing this I will commit to actually doing this.

First of all, I had to get to the system where my Eagle was parked. This was a ship I got for pre-ordering, and it seemed better to me when it came to exploring.

My humble ship.
My humble ship.

Doing that, and also earning some cash to install some systems, especially a bigger jump-drive and a fuel scoop, I took a new look at the map.

My current location. Catchy name, right?
My current location. Catchy name, right?

This is where I am going.
This is where I am going.
Space...
Space...
...is...
...is...
...pretty...
...pretty...
...huge!
...huge!

So yeah. Coalsack Nebula is my first destination. I haven't figured out the exact system I'll call the end though. This is also just the beginning, really. Not sure where to go after that, but just getting there will take some time. I will make new posts every time I get closer, with updates about what has happened on the way. Stay safe out there! And please, if you encounter Cmdr. Matthew Auleyhill, don't shoot! I am just a humble explorer!

Next I plan to make a quick post about what I actually use to fly with, as well as the components installed on the ship. I'll probably make each installment a new post, but I won't share it anywhere. So if you want to explore with me, either just check back, follow me, or check out my "website". It's a glorified blog really. Now I need to go to sleep, as I have work in six... no, five and a half hours. Fuck.

Vonner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey - good luck on your trip. I went to the Coalsack a few weeks ago, it really is just a big load of black dust in space - impressive non-the-less. A slightly more pretty destination is the Pleides about 400ly from Sol. Your definitely want to work your way up to a Cobra Mk III - once you fully outfit the frameshift drive you can get up to 24ly's range. A must when exploring further afield!

I'm part of a group called the First Great Expedition a collaborative group of players aiming to fly to the core and beyond together. We regularly meet up and last week we went to the North America Nebula about 1000ly from Sol. Maybe check it out! firstgreatexpedition.org

See you in space commander!

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vonner: Thanks! That is the reason why I want to go there first, the fact that it seems like just black dust. Which for some reason seems weird and surreal to me. Will probably go to somewhere more pretty as you put it after that.

If I had time to reliably play I would join something like that. As it stands now I will just have to explore on my own. Which is one of the main reasons why I wanted the game to be honest.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@vonner: Neat! I might see if I can help or join that. I tried following up the, er, "arm" of the galaxy that Sol is in, but when I reached the edge of Federation Space, I got super timid since I didn't have a fuel scoop and there was little money to be made out there short of exploring. I really want to get a decent scoop and just start getting out into unexplored space.

tiathyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I totally love the fact that you can like to the Wikipedia article for the Coalsack Nebula because it actually exists.

Looking forward to seeing how your exploration goes, and the preparation for the trip.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

@tiathyme said:

I totally love the fact that you can like to the Wikipedia article for the Coalsack Nebula because it actually exists.

We obviously need to start creating location pages for all these stars and stellar objects here on Giant Bomb too now though.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tiathyme: I agree. Also kinda crazy. That way I can also just ask people for what they want me to visit after getting there. Exploring is fun, and I want to go further once I get to Coalsack.
I realized I had forgotten to make the next blog-post about this on here, thanks for reminding me! Was originally only going to be on my website, but I figured I could write it up on my favorite video game website as well.

@fisk0: Oh man... Guess I'm on my way to take screenshots we can put on its wiki page then. We all got some work to do!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7 fisk0  Moderator

@tiathyme: I agree. Also kinda crazy. That way I can also just ask people for what they want me to visit after getting there. Exploring is fun, and I want to go further once I get to Coalsack.

I realized I had forgotten to make the next blog-post about this on here, thanks for reminding me! Was originally only going to be on my website, but I figured I could write it up on my favorite video game website as well.

@fisk0: Oh man... Guess I'm on my way to take screenshots we can put on its wiki page then. We all got some work to do!

I created a page for Wolf 359, since it's significance in plenty of sci-fi games is unquestionable, but there are quite a few stars and nebulae in our galaxy that have been available in Elite 2 and 3 and many similar games too, so I should think they would be significant enough to have their own location wiki pages too.