Getting a constant buzzing from my headphone while playing games on PC

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

I have a company deal with Dell, so I recently(ish) got an Alienware X51 pretty decked out. However, whenever I boot games with headphones plugged in I get an irritating buzzing sound in the background. Any ideas on what it could be? It's pretty steady and headache inducing.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By LackLuster

Edit: Turns out that plugging my headphones directly into my speaker's volume mixer fixed it. Thanks for all the help folks.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Are your headphones supplied by USB power that connects to the computer?

That is likely the issue (I have the same problem with my PX21s). I usually run the USB via an extension cable directly into a power source. Fixes the buzzing issue but ruins the mic function of the headset. I don't know another work around. The buzzing is so irritating that I'm happy enough with my fix.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's hard to tell exactly what it is without hearing the buzzing personally, but it could be a number of things. It could be some obvious issue like a bad power supply with ground leak or a poorly isolated headphone jack, or it could be way more obtuse.

I run a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as an external audio interface to power my studio monitors, and once when I rebuilt my PC I found that my graphics card was creating enough EM interference to induce a weird clicking sounds in all of my external firewire devices. On another occasion I noticed that trying to run some TRS audio cables too close to my Dell U2713H monitor would cause a different kind of hum with a frequency directly proportional to framerate. Weirdly enough forcing vsync would fix the issue, because it seemed to be something to do how the monitor dealt with excess frames.

Anyway, have you changed anything else in your set-up recently, i.e. monitor, cables, headphones, etc? Have you tried the same thing with other pairs of headphones and possibly other audio/USB jacks on your case? It's possible it could be a bad front panel connector if the problem goes away when you plug directly into the motherboard IO on the back. But if it's a pre-built and it's the only new thing in your set-up, I'd just try and RMA the whole thing and Dell should deal with it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sounds like crappy isolation to me, your probably getting a huge amount of EM interference from the rest of the the system internals. You could try or an RMA or just grab an external USB DAC/AMP.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are the headphones plugged into a front panel or into the motherboard? Mine are buzzy when I use my front panel.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Poor isolation with the extra power drawn by the cpu and gpu causing the issue. Easiest fix would be a USB dac/soundcard

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Loafsmooch

I get a buzz noise in my headphones when I plug them in my speakers. "Fixed" it by lowering windows volume to 35% and raising the speaker volume instead.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mellotronrules

a lot of mobos with integrated audio use really poor components- if you're using an audio connector to get sound to the headphones, that's probably the issue and can be fixed with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8?psc=1

if you're connecting headphones via USB try plugging into different ports in the machine- if none work, it's probably an issue with the internals of headphones themselves (they'll likely need replacing).

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sound isolation. Use a DAC or get a proper headset with a USB connection.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Though it has to be said if you have good headphones DO NOT buy a cheap USB dac as you'll be hearing shit. If you have big standard 10 to 40 buck see than its a cheap fix but if fidelity is a concern and you have hard to drive headphones you need to spend the extra dollar

The DAC I'm currently using cost a small fortune :'( but they can be ridiculously cheap if you're not an audiophile