Mining with an RTX 3080

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for theunseenshadow
theunseenshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By theunseenshadow

Am I crazy for using Nicehash to mine during idle time with my RTX 3080? I know I'm super fortunate to have even found the card but I recently found that I can generate about $7.5 USD a day when factoring in my low electricity costs. I am using an Asus Tuf 3080 which is thankfully one of the better-cooled cards, it keeps around 45 C while mining. I've always heard that mining is awful for your card however, I am seeing much higher temps and resource usage while gaming so I'm not really sure if that is still true. Currently, nicehash is mining ETH which gets converted into BTC and BTC is only expected to keep rising in price so theoretically I could eventually be making even more per day. Should I be doing this? Is it awful for my card? Is there a better more profitable way I could be doing this?

kevlargorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you believe that Bitcoin will only go up, you would sell your card and computer and buy Bitcoin outright.

You will save time, you'll likely make more money, and you'll be doing your neighbors and the environment a favor from wasting resources.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This probably isn't the best place to be asking for crypto mining tips.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Bitcoin literally just crash, again.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are you're costs that low with such a power hungry card?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seems like a waste of power and time.

Tunnelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would suspect you’re really pushing that card hard with it doing that during off time. I would expect it to fail sooner than normal use. I would also agree that if you’re interested in the currency you’d be better off just investing rather than mining these days.

theunseenshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Undervolting. Mining at least right now is more about memory clocks than core clocks so I can pull the power wayy down and it only pulls a bit more than 200 watts.

theunseenshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Not really, It dipped from $40,000 to $34,000 and now it's back up to $37,000 in a matter of days

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7.5 a day, that's around 3000$ a year.

If you can factor the electric bill cost and the card cost and find yourself with extra money then I think it's a good investment.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Undervolting. Mining at least right now is more about memory clocks than core clocks so I can pull the power wayy down and it only pulls a bit more than 200 watts.

interesting, how many hours a day do you mine? Keep it on constantly?

theunseenshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I have it set to start mining after 10 minutes of inactivity since it's also my main pc and it stops as soon as I move my mouse. I keep in on 24/7

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@oursin_360: I have it set to start mining after 10 minutes of inactivity since it's also my main pc and it stops as soon as I move my mouse. I keep in on 24/7

Keeping your PC on 24/7 is a recipe for running your PC into the ground in about 2 years

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: I have no concept of when the last time I would have fully turned my PC off.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@efesell said:

@sombre: I have no concept of when the last time I would have fully turned my PC off.

How do you afford the electricity bill on that?

theunseenshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: People usually vastly overestimate the amount of electricity their PC actually uses. Their thinking is along the lines of "I have a 750W power supply so I must be using 750W all the time." In reality, it is closer to 50-100w of constant usage. Things like your heating or air conditioner, hot water heater, stove, and Refrigerator uses nearly 10 to 20 times that energy usage in the same time span. Modern PC's are incredibly energy efficient and can intelligently ramp up and down their power draw when they need it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Efesell

@sombre: It doesn’t add very much? I worry about space heaters more than I ever would a PC

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

@theunseenshadow: Yeah Idk why people still think that PCs use a ton of power. A quick google search will show that PCs are so energy efficient and cost barely anything while idling.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LilNatureBoyX

My electric is taken care of (monthly rate hotel) and I have a 2070super I'd be okay with ruining as long as I made its ebay value ($400?) before croaking. Really considering doing this, at least until BTC crashes to 25-28,000 again where buying makes more sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just make sure you research your hardware, I destroyed my power supply back in 2017 doing this. It was fun though, not sure it was worth it though.