Premium Membership Timing

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, last year I upgraded to premium during the membership sale, and I haven't regretted it for a moment. There was no question I'd resubscribe when it came time.

The thing is that that time, a year after I first subscribed, was Friday, April 29th. 4 days ago.

Now the subscriptions are on sale again, a year and four days later. I can't help but feel a little ripped off. Not that it's an intentional predatory tact on Giant Bomb's part, not that I can't expect $45 worth of content for the next year, but still, that timing. Kind of feels like I got Neo'd.

Maybe next year some sort of solution to let people renewing near the sale window have the sale price? I don't know, it's not a huge deal, but it'd be nice.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2 gamer_152  Moderator

Disclaimer: I in no way speaking for the Giant Bomb staff or Giant Bomb as a business entity here. This is just a personal opinion.

I don't think that extending the sale window actually solves the problem, it just moves who it hits. Say there was a Premium Membership sale that started on January 21st and there were going to be people who'd renewed in the week before the 21st, annoyed that they were just outside that sale window. The site could extend the window in which those annoyed members could renew at the sale price. Let's say it's extended so that renewing at the cheaper price is now possible from January 14th onwards. Now everyone who renewed in the week before January 14th is annoyed they didn't get the sale price, and obviously you could just keep expanding and expanding the window, covering new people but bugging a whole new crop of users every time.

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

@vfl83: I've come to understand that Matt Rorie basically runs the Giant Bomb premium membership like the Bailey Building and Loan. If your premium membership or merch order is in a bad way, Matt Rorie will find a way.

"You're thinking of this place all wrong. As if I had the discounted memberships back in a safe. The discounts aren't here. Your money's in Jeff's house. And in the Caravella house, and Brad's house, and a dozen others. Why, you're lending them the money to create, and then, they're going to pay it back to you in video content!"

OK, I meant more the part where he's a pretty charitable, flexible dude, but that quote is too much fun to work with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vfl83 said:

@excitable_misunderstood_genius: If $15 is going to break the bank and make you feel "Ripped off", maybe you shouldn't be spending the money to begin with, but whatever. Hope this helps.

From twitter a few hours ago:

HerbPierre‏@HerbPierre

@jeffgerstmann@giantbomb but I just renewed LAST WEEK :(

Matthew Rorie ‏@frailgesture 2h2 hours ago

@HerbPierre@jeffgerstmann "If you didn't use the store code yet, email me at support and we can work something out."

They are two different things. If I bought a candy bar for $2 and then the person after me could buy it for $1 I'd feel ripped off regardless of the difference being $1, but whatever. That helps.

@bisonhero

I'll have to hit him up, although Bailey Building & Loan was terribly run and the most depressing ending in movie history is what happens after the credits of It's A Wonderful Life. They don't go on to show it, but everyone is so screwed.

taig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same boat only mildly aggravated cause like all the shirts are sold out in my size. 6'6 giant fellow understand limited stock but the credit part doesn't really do me any good.

Choosing not to worry about it.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By white

Pro-tip: The sales come at least 2 or 3 times a year now. It is pretty much a given at this point. If you can afford it, buy 2 years upfront and renew once per year when the sale hits. Don't use the auto-renewal.

stankonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just renewed my membership the other day at the non-discounted price after signing up for the membership sale and had an interesting series of thoughts. At first I looked at the price and groaned, asking myself if I wanted to shell out nearly $50 for a membership to a video game website. But then I thought of all the good times with the Metal Gear Scanlon series and how having access to the premium videos in better quality has been nice. I then felt guilty, as if I was cheating a family member or something by considering not renewing. (A good family member, not the creepy uncle type)

Ultimately I have found myself making Giant Bomb a part of daily life and felt like the extra $10-$20 was not such a big deal when I consider what I casually spend money on that brings me far less enjoyment. I really enjoy what they do and if my contribution keeps this thing going a bit longer than I'll gladly pay in the future as well. I think of it as if I were buying a beer or giving a tip to the gang, and I would do those without hesitation.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I feel you but this is just the nature of sales. Even if you announce having a sale ahead of time, someone is getting burned. Didn't this come up on a recent bomb/beastcast in regards to the Neo? reminds me of this.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ericjasonwade
probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah I kinda feel the same way, having just resubscribed a few days earlier. Still, the membership is to support Giant Bomb, so at the end of the day, it's worth it. I'll just wait for a cool shirt to buy with the coupon.

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@stankonia: Ditto mate. When i look back at the amount of content (free or premium stuff) I have watched, listened to or read on this site then the $50 a year is well worth the money. I'm in the slightly envious position of being able to watch GiantBomb stuff at my work, so I really do get my money's worth though...

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said, that is just how sales work. However, one solution would be ti just drop the extra $35 now, and then next year you don't even have to worry about it. I realize that that can come with its own problems, but it is really the only way to guarantee that you get next year's sign up at a sale price.

Subterfudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The exact same thing happened to me, and while I was guessing that a sale would be upcoming I still decided to pay full price. However, I forgot how lousy the Canadian dollar is so it came to $64 for me ( including foreign currency transaction fee). I'll buy a shirt with the discount and have it sent to friends in Michigan to avoid higher shipping. I might still extend the membership while it's on sale, but I'm low on funds.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers