Things That Make Me Go Hmm…

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 1

Edited By kariyanine

Every once in a while I sit back and think why hasn’t someone done this yet. These are some of the ones I think the most about.

Why hasn’t SquareEnix released Parasite Eve, Parasite Eve 2, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Dragon Warrior VII to the US PSN yet?

Vagrant Story and Xenogears are two of my favorite games from the Playstation generation. With Final Fantasy IX, they were some of the best games produced by Square in that era and add in the PE games, Chrono Cross and DW VII and those are some massive holes being left out of the PSN store. Vagrant Story has been available in Europe for over a year and all of these games are rumored to be coming to the US PSN. But when?

Why hasn’t Sony released Legend of Dragoon on the US PSN yet?

I don’t know if this is available in other territories and if so I hate you but regardless LoD was one of the best non Square developed RPGs from the PSOne era. This would be a prime candidate for sale in the PSN store and I’m sure many would snap it up.

Why doesn’t Sony offer all of their first party releases via the PSN?

Sure Microsoft doesn’t release them day in date with the retail version but they have been getting them out quicker and quicker. What makes matters worse is Sony looked to be moving in this direction with the release of Warhawk, GT5: Prologue and the PSP Go but they seem to be hiding in their shell. I understand the retail relations issues at play and that MS certainly has more clout with retailers than Sony does but still if your closest competitor is doing it, you need to get on board. Look, I don’t give the PSN much credit but purchasing on the network is far easier than doing so on XBOX Live, the fact that Sony isn’t taking advantage of people out there willing to hand over their money makes me scratch my head. Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Killzone 2, these all belong on the network for digital purchase.

Why doesn’t Square support digital downloads of their PSP games?

I get it, the PSP is a highly hackable device and piracy is rampant on it. But if people are going to pirate games, they are going to pirate games regardless of if they have to rip the UMD or hack the DRM on a digital copy. The only thing you do by not releasing your software digitally is hurt your sales. At this point if I can’t buy it off the PSN I don’t bother with it. I know that Brian Leahy at Shacknews is of the same mindset, so I know I am not the only one.

That is about it for tonight but I’m sure more things that make me go hmm…

————

ALL NEW:
The Perfectly Sane Show: Volume 2 – Episode 20 – get it at Vagary.tv or iTunes.

Hit up my friends Game Over and TeaBagRadio.

Coming Tomorrow:
Just Cause 2 and Why It Is Not For Me
————

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy IX (PSOne on PSPGo)
Currently Listening To: nothing in particular
Currently Reading: The Emperor’s Tomb by Steve Berry
Currently Anticipating: Little Big Planet 2
Halo Rank: Captain Grade 3
Bad Comapany 2 Rank: 11
CoD: Black Ops Rank: 9

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kariyanine

Every once in a while I sit back and think why hasn’t someone done this yet. These are some of the ones I think the most about.

Why hasn’t SquareEnix released Parasite Eve, Parasite Eve 2, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Dragon Warrior VII to the US PSN yet?

Vagrant Story and Xenogears are two of my favorite games from the Playstation generation. With Final Fantasy IX, they were some of the best games produced by Square in that era and add in the PE games, Chrono Cross and DW VII and those are some massive holes being left out of the PSN store. Vagrant Story has been available in Europe for over a year and all of these games are rumored to be coming to the US PSN. But when?

Why hasn’t Sony released Legend of Dragoon on the US PSN yet?

I don’t know if this is available in other territories and if so I hate you but regardless LoD was one of the best non Square developed RPGs from the PSOne era. This would be a prime candidate for sale in the PSN store and I’m sure many would snap it up.

Why doesn’t Sony offer all of their first party releases via the PSN?

Sure Microsoft doesn’t release them day in date with the retail version but they have been getting them out quicker and quicker. What makes matters worse is Sony looked to be moving in this direction with the release of Warhawk, GT5: Prologue and the PSP Go but they seem to be hiding in their shell. I understand the retail relations issues at play and that MS certainly has more clout with retailers than Sony does but still if your closest competitor is doing it, you need to get on board. Look, I don’t give the PSN much credit but purchasing on the network is far easier than doing so on XBOX Live, the fact that Sony isn’t taking advantage of people out there willing to hand over their money makes me scratch my head. Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Killzone 2, these all belong on the network for digital purchase.

Why doesn’t Square support digital downloads of their PSP games?

I get it, the PSP is a highly hackable device and piracy is rampant on it. But if people are going to pirate games, they are going to pirate games regardless of if they have to rip the UMD or hack the DRM on a digital copy. The only thing you do by not releasing your software digitally is hurt your sales. At this point if I can’t buy it off the PSN I don’t bother with it. I know that Brian Leahy at Shacknews is of the same mindset, so I know I am not the only one.

That is about it for tonight but I’m sure more things that make me go hmm…

————

ALL NEW:
The Perfectly Sane Show: Volume 2 – Episode 20 – get it at Vagary.tv or iTunes.

Hit up my friends Game Over and TeaBagRadio.

Coming Tomorrow:
Just Cause 2 and Why It Is Not For Me
————

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy IX (PSOne on PSPGo)
Currently Listening To: nothing in particular
Currently Reading: The Emperor’s Tomb by Steve Berry
Currently Anticipating: Little Big Planet 2
Halo Rank: Captain Grade 3
Bad Comapany 2 Rank: 11
CoD: Black Ops Rank: 9

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

i don't know but good questions man. i for one, wouldn't download any of the games on the market place. i just don't feel like doing that because nobody knows what Microsoft or Sony plan to do next generation with their downloads. if i wanted to play something then i would go out and buy the game.

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kariyanine

Nobody knows what they are going to do but at this point if they did not transfer over what was in the digital store they would potentially hurt their next console sales.   And I would love to go out and buy Xenogears on disc but I am also not willing to pay nearly $100 to do so, so I can play it on my HDTV but offer it for $10 digitally and allow me to play it on my PSP, then I am all over it.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Ben99

gotta love nostalgic gamers 

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheChaos
kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kariyanine
@TheChaos: Yeah, The 3rd Birthday (they evidently lost the license to Parasite Eve but the game is the third one set in that universe).  Unfortunately if SE follows their recent track record (no Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on PSN) 3rd Birthday won't come out on PSN.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By benjaebe
@TheChaos said:
" They're making a Parasite Eve 3 for PSP. "
As much as I was excited for that game, it's looking kind of....less than good.
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 02sfraser

I would love for Chrono Cross to be released on the EU PSN store since there isn't really much stopping them these days. Never doing that would make me go 'Hmmm'

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mnzy

Why is there no new Soul Reaver?