Voting machines: Nothing much has changed.

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Forum_User

So here we are with another election cycle and the same old partisan bickering and hilariously ridiculous campaign ads.  Amidst all of the hyperbolic silliness and Tea Party comedian fodder, a serious issue seems to have fallen by the wayside:  Computerized voting machines are way easier to manipulate than the old paper trail method.  

I'm not going to go into a long exposition about it.  I really don't know what else there is to say.  It just makes me wonder what the point of even bothering to vote is. Apparently one is just supposed to have some kind of unwarranted confidence that some data spit out by some machine will accurately reflect the selections of voters. 

People can tirelessly argue back and forth all day about which party is going to fuck things up more in tribute to their campaign contributor overlords, but what does it even really matter when the entire voting process itself has become highly questionable?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Console Wars are like Political Party Wars

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

The voting machines don't need to be rigged when many districts are divided in a way to silence minority voices. And also, the people on the ballot aren't exactly brimming anyone with confidence either. So its mostly people voting down party lines. Continuing to vote for the novel ideas their party stands for even though the person they're voting for almost certainly falls short of those ideals between corruption and, well, the reality of the world.

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Forum_User
@ryanwho:  

Perhaps, but the validity of the vote count itself is surely the most important factor in an election.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Brians

That's why I will try to always vote absentee ballot. Not only is it more convenient but it's still paper trail style.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By beej

Really states should start to adopt vote by mail, It's a sweet system since it gets you your ballot a while in advance so you can sit down and research anything you aren't familiar with. Also you can seal the ballot and drop it off anytime before election day so no lines!