Getting gaming PC how are these specs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ronniecolemanmro
RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just wanted to get an opinion on this PC I'm thinking of getting since I have no idea what's good or not. Here are the components.

Intell core i7-4820 processor (4x3.70ghz/10mb l3 cache)

8gb (4gbx2) ddr3-1600 memory module

Nvidia gforce gtx 780 3gb single card

Motherboard is Mai x79a-gd45 plus 5x PCI-ex16 and 6x Santa 6gb/s

Power support 650 watt thermaltake smart sp-650

So is this a decent PC for gaming will it run most games at full and is it going to last me awhile.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

It's a bit overkill quite frankly. Should last you through this generation, though you might have to get a CPU fan and overclock in 4 years if you still want to run stuff on ultra.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

Depends how much you're paying for it too.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

No reason to get an i7 over an i5 for gaming, it's a waste of $100 that you could spend on a hard drive...speaking of a hard drive, you don't have one listed. Not only that but you're paying extra for an LGA2011 socket, you don't need that at all...get LGA1150 and save even more money. An i7 and an LGA2011 motherboard will not play games any better than an i5 on LGA1150.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

Unbalanced. Drop the CPU and motherboard down a notch and put that extra cash into a better GPU. Also get a better quality power supply. And as @mb mentioned, you need a hard drive and/or a SSD.

Also... how much are you paying for this PC?

RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do really have no idea about pcs I'm really a console player. But I would like something pretty good the price is 1700

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to be more specific with what you're looking to run. This PC is pretty future proof for the next couple of years!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GaspoweR

@ronniecolemanmro said:

I do really have no idea about pcs I'm really a console player. But I would like something pretty good the price is 1700

Yeah that's a bit of overkill for the price. Since that is your budget I feel (and probably some of the other duders here as well might agree) that you can get much better value from that price range with some modifications to your PC components. By the way are you getting a pre-built PC or are you planning on building one yourself (most of us here will tell you to build one yourself to be honest hehehe!). Did you have a budget in mind? I'm sure you can build a very competent PC for a lot less than that.

RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pre built from ibuypower I wouldn't think of building one myself. Is there someone that created a template of PC building from low end to high end machines that I could look at

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pre built from ibuypower I wouldn't think of building one myself. Is there someone that created a template of PC building from low end to high end machines that I could look at

Logical Increments

You really should think about building your own PC, it's literally as easy as Part A in Slot A.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronniecolemanmro: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Very good resource though keep in mind the prices here are under that assumption that you'd be building the PC yourself since pre-built PCs would also have labor costs already included with the price. So since it is prebuilt, it is going to be slightly overpriced

Also if you want to have a place wherein you can compile a list of components and not worry too much if they are compatible if ever you do decide to build one down the line then you should go here: https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I'm in the process of building a list for you that's comparable to what you listed just for fun. Haha!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You can definitely build a PC that is better than the one you listed for ~$1400 USD. Definitely think about building your own PC.

RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the two sites I'm understanding it better now

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corevi
RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RonnieColeManMrO

Another question I want to hook it up through my tv how to I include an hdmi port in the build

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Corevi
@ronniecolemanmro said:

Another question I want to hook it up through my tv how to I include an hdmi port in the build

It's part of the motherboard. Almost every one available today has HDMI out.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GaspoweR

@corruptedevil said:
@ronniecolemanmro said:

It's part of the motherboard. Almost every one available today has HDMI out.

Well it is part of the motherboard BUT you need to connect it to the HDMI port in the graphics card just to make sure that you are using the graphics card and not the integrated graphics of your CPU. :D

Oh yeah sorry it took awhile but this was the list I built so you can have another one to look at as well.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronniecolemanmro: By the way, I don't know if someone else here can back me up on this but the reason why I went with the more expensive WD caviar black HDD instead of the 2TB Seagate HDD is because Seagate's 2TB platters have a higher failure rate. It doesn't mean that all their drives are going to fail though since for the most part it'll probably be fine if you get one but there are trade offs. They are a lot of cheaper but I'd rather go for WD since they also have very good customer service as well from my experience. I had one WD HDD fail the first time within a month or so when I built my current PC (probably due to the fact that it might have been in the third party seller's warehouse for awhile) and I was able to get it replaced directly from Western Digital without any problems whatsoever. The current one I have has been working fine for more than a year now.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

By the way, I don't know if someone else here can back me up on this but the reason why I went with the more expensive WD caviar black HDD instead of the 2TB Seagate HDD is because Seagate's 2TB platters have a higher failure rate. It doesn't mean that all their drives are going to fail though since for the most part it'll probably be fine if you get one but there are trade offs.

I use a Seagate in my emulator computer and it's totally fine after 2 years.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The i5 is really powerful and great potential for over clock, so in a way you can save money here. However the i7 offers a lot more for instance you can do silly things like 5box wow. Not sure how strong the i5 (normal clock) is for streaming if you want that. Consider future uses of what you may or may not want and choose your processor accordingly. It's not as simple to think you only need an i5 for gaming as your computer will evolve.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: That's great to know, sir! Is it a 2 TB model or just a 1 TB?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

That's great to know, sir! Is it a 2 TB model or just a 1 TB?

1TB, old games aren't particularly big.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexW00d
@gaspower said:

@corruptedevil: That's great to know, sir! Is it a 2 TB model or just a 1 TB?

I've had a 2TB seagate run fine for the last 3 years, but even so that changes nothing about your statement. Seagate drives definitely have a higher rate of fail than WD.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GaspoweR

@corruptedevil said:
@gaspower said:

That's great to know, sir! Is it a 2 TB model or just a 1 TB?

1TB, old games aren't particularly big.

Ah ok, the 1 TB models are known to do just fine, according to the study that was linked in the PCWorld article, the ones that have a higher failure rate affect Seagate's 2 TB models. The 1 TBs are known to be a lot more reliable. It's not super prevalent though to be fair since it probably affects companies who deal with having to constantly use HDDs (e.g. cloud storage) more so than regular consumers.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikey87144

You should get a bigger SSD. Once you start putting games on your SSD you won't want to put them on your mechanical.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Corevi
@mikey87144 said:

You should get a bigger SSD. Once you start putting games on your SSD you won't want to put them on your mechanical.

Bigger SSDs aren't worth the money right now. If you really need that extra speed you should go for a hybrid drive. The SSD included in my build is purely for the OS.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil said:

@mikey87144 said:

Bigger SSDs aren't worth the money right now. If you really need that extra speed you should go for a hybrid drive. The SSD included in my build is purely for the OS.

I respectfully disagree. For $200 you can buy an SSD that will make using your computer a quick and snappy experience 100% of the time. I can't imagine going back to a mechanical drive for any of my programs, including games. Every time I use a PC that either has a mechanical drive only or has most of the programs loaded up on a mechanical drive I notice it pretty quickly.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

get more RAM, 16gb is good, better to have it and not need it.

don't really need a i7 for gaming, you are better off with a i5. never used a MSI motherboard, always went with asus or gigabyte so cant say much about them.

might want to also look into a after market CPU cooler.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@gaspower said:

By the way, I don't know if someone else here can back me up on this but the reason why I went with the more expensive WD caviar black HDD instead of the 2TB Seagate HDD is because Seagate's 2TB platters have a higher failure rate. It doesn't mean that all their drives are going to fail though since for the most part it'll probably be fine if you get one but there are trade offs.

I use a Seagate in my emulator computer and it's totally fine after 2 years.

That anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything; I have a launch 360 that still works and has never broken. That doesn't mean they didn't have a really high failure rate. Seagate HDDs are empirically proven to have a much higher failure rate than their Western Digital equivalents.

Anyway, one of my three 1TB WD Caviar Blacks has failed on me, but it was after four years, and it wasn't on a whim either (drive started to slow down, utilities told me that the laser reader was failing, was able to back up all my data so I didn't lose anything when I replaced it), and WD customer service was super easy to deal with. All I had to do was mail it to them and they sent me another one because it was still inside of the 5 year warranty.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: just viewed your PC setup you made it looks good. How future proof would you say this is would it last me awhile and would it be fine for witcher 3 or any high end game out now.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All GPU's come with an HDMI out as standard so need to worry about that.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just viewed your PC setup you made it looks good. How future proof would you say this is would it last me awhile and would it be fine for witcher 3 or any high end game out now.

Probably 3 years before you have to overclock or upgrade to a i7.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ronniecolemanmro said:

just viewed your PC setup you made it looks good. How future proof would you say this is would it last me awhile and would it be fine for witcher 3 or any high end game out now.

Probably 3 years before you have to overclock or upgrade to a i7.

The upgrade path in 3 years would be the GPU, not an i5 to an i7.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GaspoweR

@ronniecolemanmro: Yep, I second what CorruptedEvil said. We don't actually know what the PC specs are going to be for the Witcher 3 since they haven't announced specs yet but you're definitely above minimum specs that's for sure, so you'll be fine. You'll probably be able to max out the game assuming if you're playing at 1920x1080 resolution but that's just a guess so don't take my word for it. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-60534c109535a
deactivated-60534c109535a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

September 14 the new X99 Chipset will be released wich means if you buy x79 now you buy obsolete hardware if i was you i would wait a month, but other than that your build looks good.

Here is my Suggested build:

• Asus or gigabyte socket LGA 2011-3 X99 Motherboard 299$-500$
  • 8gb-16gb of DDR4 Memory 300-500$
  • Haswell-E 5930 6 Core or 5960X 8 Core CPU 1100$-1500$

or you could go the less expensive but more economical route:

• Asus or Gigabyte Z-97 socket LGA 1150 Motherboard 200$
  • 8-16GB DDR3 200-300$
  • Haswell i7 4790K 300$

Good Luck with your Build ;-).

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By amafi

@corruptedevil said:

@mikey87144 said:

I respectfully disagree. For $200 you can buy an SSD that will make using your computer a quick and snappy experience 100% of the time. I can't imagine going back to a mechanical drive for any of my programs, including games. Every time I use a PC that either has a mechanical drive only or has most of the programs loaded up on a mechanical drive I notice it pretty quickly.

I'm an idiot, but I completely agree. I have one 120gb ssd for OS and 3x500gb SSDs for data/applications/games in this PC. Also put SSDs in all 4 laptops. Best possible investment you can do to any computer is a solid state drive.

RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is 3.5ghz fast enough for now

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok so before I start to get these parts everything looks good in the build or would you change anything. Here is the list im going to go with.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Wytpony/saved/Ky4Ycf

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

When people ask if they can build a PC, I ask them, "Do you like building Lego?" If they do they are probably fine and would enjoy building a PC because they have that 'hands on' tackle a project step by step mind. If as a kid or teen you took your toys apart - enjoyed Lego, Erector sets, Lincoln Logs - than you will find great satisfaction from building a PC.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ripelivejam

oh how i freaked out first time building a PC, couldn't be simpler now...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ripelivejam

though more and more i regret getting amd 8350, even if it is a bit irrational/unwarranted...

petercacic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By petercacic

@corruptedevil said:
@ronniecolemanmro said:

Logical Increments

You really should think about building your own PC, it's literally as easy as Part A in Slot A.

no it is not , only the people that know how to build one say that . You people need to remember that some people don't even no what half the things are called on a PC , it is the same thing as me saying build your own engine it is easy you just put A to A and by the books that's all it is but in real life it is a lot more of a pain. If you know nothing at all just buy pre built from a larger place because it costs way more if you go to a smaller private store/person and have them build it for you because up here in Canada the labour alone is nearly half of what the parts will cost . Plus this day and age there are a lot of great pre built gaming rigs out there.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Corevi

@corruptedevil said:
@ronniecolemanmro said:

Logical Increments

no it is not , only the people that know how to build one say that . You people need to remember that some people don't even no what half the things are called on a PC , it is the same thing as me saying build your own engine it is easy you just put A to A and by the books that's all it is but in real life it is a lot more of a pain. If you know nothing at all just buy pre built from a larger place because it costs way more if you go to a smaller private store/person and have them build it for you because up here in Canada the labour alone is nearly half of what the parts will cost . Plus this day and age there are a lot of great pre built gaming rigs out there.

You realize this thread is a month old and he has probably already decided what he wants to do and has done it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This topic is old.