PS4 makes sound while off

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it normal for a PS4 to make noise while off? Mine makes a high pitched noise when its off and plugged in. I can only hear it when i put my hear right next to it. The best I can describe is intermittent beeps . If i disconnect the power cord it goes away. I've tried different outlets and it is on a surge protector. White PS4.

Do all electronics do this? I'm assuming there is power going through it and this is normal for electronics. Also I'm sensiive to high frequency sounds.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't have a PS4, mind you, but it could be the fans or something.

I know that PS4s tend to sleep rather than actually turn off. So it may just be sleeping and not actually off.

Or maybe it's trying to communicate with you. Do you know morse code? =P

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@mr_misery said:

Is it normal for a PS4 to make noise while off? Mine makes a high pitched noise when its off and plugged in. I can only hear it when i put my hear right next to it. The best I can describe is intermittent beeps . If i disconnect the power cord it goes away. I've tried different outlets and it is on a surge protector. White PS4.

Do all electronics do this? I'm assuming there is power going through it and this is normal for electronics. Also I'm sensiive to high frequency sounds.

Well, most electronics do make noise, thanks to moving parts, but I've never noticed my PS4 making a noise while off. That's what you mean right? Not in sleep mode? Not installing? Just off but still plugged in.

Maybe it's your x-men like ability to hear high frequency sounds.

Pretty cool actually.

Are you a young duder? The older you get the less high frequency you can hear I think.

I'm an old man and don't hear much at all these days.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I never paid no mind to it, but most modern day electronics while in an "off" state still consume power to keep things like the time, TV settings, and last channel in memory.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if its the eject sound there are multiple fixes to be found on the interwebs

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend of mine was(still is?) able to hear high pitch noises (generally constant) from some electronics.

I don't know one way or another about a ps4 making noise while it's completely off.

I'll try to remember to check when I'm home

Check other electronics that are off but plugged in as see if you can hear anything. Best of luck, I hope it's normal or benign. Or maybe you are developing a very acute and circumstantial form of tinnitus

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it in Stand By or fully turned off? If it is in stand by my guess could be that it might be the HDD working as it downloads/uploads stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally off, plugged in, not in stand by. Not the eject noise. I can only hear it with my ear pressed against the PS4 and it goes away when I unplug the power cable.

I'm not sending it back over this, I just thought I'd ask about it. I'm getting a Wii U Monday so I'll see if that does it too.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The thing is even when it's in Off mode some things are still running, otherwise it wouldn't be able to for instance start remotely when you press the PS button on a controller. Basically all electronics have current going through them to some extent even when off.

High pitched noises are not really uncommon to hear from various devices. I have to disconnect my monitor completely when I go to sleep, since it gives out a very audible high pitched noise at all times.

I wouldn't worry about it, and just disconnect it during the night if you hear it well enough to be bothered by it.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am extremely able to hear high frequency sounds from electronics (I actually consider myself lucky to be in my 30s and still have this problem!) but I have not heard anything major from my PS4. You might have to turn off the power bar to it when it's not powered on.

You might also want to try testing whether the sound still occurs if it's plugged in but your remove the ethernet cable. I have mine connected via wifi so I do not know if that might be a factor?

oskr499

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello. Im new here and my English is not good because I'm from Chile. But I have the same problem. A noise in the back when my ps4 is off evento when the ps4 is disconnected from power supply

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It could be just because you are young and can still hear high frequencies. All electronics make some kind of high-pitched noise. If it's doing that no matter which outlet you plug it in, I wouldn't worry too much.

I have had experience with high pitch frequencies that came due to a bad outlet or because of not being plugged in all the way, so always make sure that your PS4 power cable is safe and secure.