Anyone else having save transfer issues?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ
No Caption Provided

The above image is what I was getting before even though I had completed all episodes as well as 400 Days on Steam before trying to play Season 2. I found out that this was probably because I had to play Season 1 in Windows compatibility mode because the game would not launch through Steam otherwise. I had tried booting Season 2 through compatibility mode as well to no avail and, through trying various things, it seems I've lost my original save anyways and I'm gonna have to play Season 1 all over again before starting Season 2. Really frustrated about this.

Anyone else experiencing any difficulties or inconsistencies regarding saves? I know there are also some server issues people are apparently having and that the game's claiming that some "don't own the game" even though they do.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No issues.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jimmyfenix

@fluxwavez: On Gaf people were saying they had to manually find their save files and copy it to the directory of the walking dead season 2 folder.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: Yeah, I tried that among a bunch of other things but I think the compatibility mode factor changes things or makes the bug that much crazier, so I couldn't recover anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nvm

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No issues on the 360 version. I replayed everything (including 400 days) because my final save had been hit with save issues. I double checked each episode is a replayed the whole thing to make sure nothing would get screwed up. I've seen decisions carry incorrectly into season 2 on some lets plays on youtube.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morningstar

It's telltale, bound to be some issues.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No issues. I'm actually more surprised I didn't have issues because during season 1 I had the issue of saves not appearing during an initial load up. What I had to do was start a game and then exiting back to the main menu in order for my original save files to appear.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

@fluxwavez said:

@jimmyfenix: Yeah, I tried that among a bunch of other things but I think the compatibility mode factor changes things or makes the bug that much crazier, so I couldn't recover anything.

Pretty sure running it in compatibility mode would make absolutely zero difference to your saves as it doesn't change the game. Didn't the game support Steam Cloud? Can't you just get your saves from there?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@alexw00d said:

Pretty sure running it in compatibility mode would make absolutely zero difference to your saves as it doesn't change the game. Didn't the game support Steam Cloud? Can't you just get your saves from there?

Compatibility mode most definitely made a difference as I've seen others report the same, not to mention that my completed saves for TWD were there when I started it in compatibility mode but weren't when I disabled it.

Again, every time I try to launch TWD through Steam I get a "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" prompt, which is why I either had to launch the game through the steamapps folder or put it into compatibility mode so it could actually launch through Steam. There are no saves synchronized through Steam cloud or however that works when I launch the game.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Honkalot

This is probably the same bug that is in literally all Telltale games and which caused me to have to apply a fix between every episode of TWD season 1. That is to say I doubt this has anything to do with compatibility mode at all, and you are just experiencing a more well known Telltale bug.

You have a "prefs.prop" file in \Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

And there is also one in C:\Users\Name\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

One of these is correct and one is not.

1. Copy and backup both of them just in case, put the copies somewhere else so you don't accidentally write them over.

2. Try putting the same version of this file in both of these folders. Overwrite one with the other and see if it works, then try the other way around. I can't remember which file is the correct and which is not. But I had the trouble of doing this inbetween every episode for the game to find my save. And the fix worked every time.

Just make sure you back the files up first and this should be safe to try.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@honkalot: The problem is that there were never two "prefs.prop" files and there was only one in the Users location, not in the Pack/default location. I can't launch The Walking Dead through Steam at all since it constantly gives me the same problem prompt and the only way I can launch it is through the "WalkingDead101.exe" file in steamapps/common/the walking dead by going into its compatibility settings and by checking "Run this program as an administrator", which at least lets me launch it through there but still gives me an error when I try to play it through Steam itself, and that's what worries me about the save transfer into Season 2.

I already deleted local content for TWD and re-installed the game twice so I don't know if those saves are still recoverable, but I'm "fine" with playing the game once again if I was guaranteed that the saves would transfer over.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: If you play the game again why don't you just manually back up the save files? Find their lcoation and copy them to some where else? Then you can create the folder structure that the second season expects, put the saves in there and the game will find them.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an issue where my season one data is all gone, completely, it no longer exists. I know this isn't the exact thread for this, but I can't seem to find a save archive online like I did with Mass Effect. Does anyone know where I could get a "Super Nice, Moral High-ground, Honest Lee" playthrough save? or any save files, for that matter?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@fluxwavez: If I recall correctly, sometimes running games in compatibility mode has weird effects. Your season 1 saves are probably in some hidden folder created for compatibility mode. I bet that once you find them and move them over to the correct spots (that is, where Season 2 expects them to be), you will be fine. The same thing happened to my Baldur's Gate saves, the saves made during compatibility mode were stored away somewhere else, and thus running the game normally would not allow me to load them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@arabes: Yeah, I think that's what I'll have to do. Could you tell me where the physical saves are usually located in the folders for TWD (or is that what "prefs.prop" is)? I couldn't find the any file like "save_01" or something I would think would resemble that before I deleted the local content.

@aelric: Heh, I'd say this is a good thread for any TWD save issue. A playthrough save archive like that would be nice. What would have been nicer would have been the ability to select one's decisions at the beginning of Season 2 instead of it being randomly generated.

@thunderslash: Yeah, I'm pretty sure compatibility mode had effects on the save files and what you're saying makes sense. If they're still somewhere, I guess the issue would be trying to find them, though I'm not sure they're anywhere anymore since the game can't find the old saves when I start it through compatibility mode in Windows XP anymore.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could upload mine if it would help anyone out, I already played the new episode but considering that save is already "locked in" for season 2 it includes the season 1 choices and you should be able to just replay the new episode in the same save slot? Moral high-ground Lee for the most part.

Can't remember it all but Clementine did not shoot Lee, Omid and Christa survived, Doug died in ep.1, didn't steal from car, didn't kill cannibal with hayfork, shot kid in attic, shot duck instead of letting Kenny, revealed bite to group, Ben died at the tower etc.

Unfortunately when pressing play you get to select which chapter within the episode to start at and all the pictures and names of the chapters are story spoilers.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

My entire Walking Dead S1 experience could be described as "Save Issues", so this does not surprise me.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@honkalot said:

I could upload mine if it would help anyone out, I already played the new episode but considering that save is already "locked in" for season 2 it includes the season 1 choices and you should be able to just replay the new episode in the same save slot? Moral high-ground Lee for the most part.

Can't remember it all but Clementine did not shoot Lee, Omid and Christa survived, Doug died in ep.1, didn't steal from car, didn't kill cannibal with hayfork, shot kid in attic, shot duck instead of letting Kenny, revealed bite to group, Ben died at the tower etc.

Unfortunately when pressing play you get to select which chapter within the episode to start at and all the pictures and names of the chapters are story spoilers.

You know, that is close, but I maybe I should just take a day and blitz through the first season again, because my playthrough is actually my wife's (it's the only game we play together as she isn't a gamer) and I think she will want it exactly as it was, even if those choices don't show up. As for the chapter cover spoilers, yeah, I always thought that was odd, but The Season one, episode three cover was a fake out, since it showed Duck riding on the Train with a big smile.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aelric said:

@honkalot said:

You know, that is close, but I maybe I should just take a day and blitz through the first season again, because my playthrough is actually my wife's (it's the only game we play together as she isn't a gamer) and I think she will want it exactly as it was, even if those choices don't show up. As for the chapter cover spoilers, yeah, I always thought that was odd, but The Season one, episode three cover was a fake out, since it showed Duck riding on the Train with a big smile.

Yeah I think you'll end up feeling more personally connected to the story that way! Hope it works out for you guys!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: prefs.prop is a file that stores the user's game preferences (options and such). But more importantly, it also stores info on which episodes you have completed. For example: if you have saves that are in episode 3, but your prefs.prop says that you haven't completed episode 2 yet, the game will not let you load those episode 3 saves. This is also what causes many of the save issues people have. The game likes to write the prefs.prop file to the game install's folder, but reads the file from another. The solution is to move prefs.prop from the game install's pack/default folder to the MyDocuments/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder. This will prevent the game from creating any more prefs.prop files in the install's folder. Instead, now it should read and write from the MyDocument folder. Oh yeah, all your saves are also in the MyDocuments folder too.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on PS3 and it can't find my save. I even replayed the final chapter in episode 5 and watched it save, and it made no difference. Seems like this is randomly happening to other EU players as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@petiew said:

Playing on PS3 and it can't find my save.

Yup, same =/ Really glad to see I'm not alone in this at least, as I figured this might have been an isolated incident on my end. Hopefully this means it'll get sorted out soon, too... Considering that I was fortunate enough to have not suffered from any save issues during S1, this is probably Telltale's way of catching up to me >_>

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Petiew

@yummylee: They've just launched a patch. Mine is working now, looks like they've fixed it. Hopefully it works for everyone.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@petiew: Thanks for the heads up! Gonna give it a go now.

mjkostka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Can't get mine to detect the S1 save on my PS3 either. What is this patch and how do I get it?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Petiew

@mjkostka said:

@yummylee: Can't get mine to detect the S1 save on my PS3 either. What is this patch and how do I get it?

If your PS3 is connected to the internet it will come up when you start up the game. I think you also need Episode 1 of Season 1 installed for it to recognise your save.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@petiew said:

Playing on PS3 and it can't find my save.

Yup, same =/ Really glad to see I'm not alone in this at least, as I figured this might have been an isolated incident on my end. Hopefully this means it'll get sorted out soon, too... Considering that I was fortunate enough to have not suffered from any save issues during S1, this is probably Telltale's way of catching up to me >_>

I've got you both beat; I bought the PS3 season pass today and downloaded episode 1. When I tried to load my season 1 save it tells me that it can't find the save and tells me to buy season 1. Y'know, even though I have season 1 installed on the PS3 #RollingMyEyes. I started a new game but decided I really did want my season 1 stuff to carry over, so I go to the XMB to delete the season 2 save and try again but my season 1 save is just gone now. Soooooo that's awesome.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anyone else have the issue of the saves not importing information properly? I just started it up and got all the "previously on" stuff and some of it was incorrect. some spoilers ahead, but it showed me not stabbing the one brother with the pitchfork, and not letting clem come with me to crawford, both of which were things that I did.

Anyone have a solution/explanation for why it got this wrong?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Well I just bought the season 2 season pass and when I wanted to start the game I got the "unable to find save" message. I'm playing on PS3 and I checked if my save data from season 1 was there and it is. I thought they fixed this bug. I've heard it helps to delete and reinstall all the season 1 episodes, but I'm afraid that might delete my saves.

Has anyone encountered this issue on the ps3 and if so did you find a solution that didn't include downloading the latest patch?

The patch doesn't fix the issue for me.