Still having EXP issues post patch 1.04 (Xbone)

helo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, yesterday I downloaded patch 1.04 for the Witcher 3 on my Xbone which, among other things, was supposed to fix the issue of not receiving EXP for completed quests. However, I completed two quests, one was a main story quest (Pyers of Novigrad) and the other was a contract (I can't remember the name). I only received 5 exp for both of these. I know that this can't be right. Additionally, I do not believe that I am over-leveled for either quest. I was level 14 and the the quests were level 10 and level 12. Also, both were "green" in my quest log which, as I understand it, means that I should still be receiving the intended amount of experience.

Is anyone else having this problem/heard of someone having this problem on any platform post-patch? I've done a couple google searches and I can't seem to find anything about it.

BishopRen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a PC player of the witcher 3 so take this with a grain of salt but I was under the impression that 1.05 was the exp bug fix patch and that came out last week on PC, I wouldn't have thought it had come out of cert yet for consoles.

helo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that patch 1.05 on PC is the same as 1.04 on consoles, for whatever reason (not 100% sure on this).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a PC player of the witcher 3 so take this with a grain of salt but I was under the impression that 1.05 was the exp bug fix patch and that came out last week on PC, I wouldn't have thought it had come out of cert yet for consoles.

1.04 is supposed to have the fix on consoles.

I guess you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the patch.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@helo189 said:

I believe that patch 1.05 on PC is the same as 1.04 on consoles, for whatever reason (not 100% sure on this).

It's more like a mix of both. It doesn't have all of the 1.05 changes, but it does have some of the major stuff, like the exp bug and enlarged UI.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe your supposed receive less xp for any quest you are higher level than, and i think they tweaked it so you get even less for them now. But you do get XP I guess.

freedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

When you do a quest that you're over leveled for, you only get 5 XP. They color code everything in the quest menu so you can see what's what. If the Suggested level is grey, you won't get much for it, which seems like more of a design decision than a straight up bug.

helo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By helo189

Right, but like I said both of these quests were still green on my quest log, not grey. I was under the impression that this meant that I am supposed to get the full amount of exp, unless I'm missing something.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@helo189: The truth is not all quests give/gave XP to begin with. And people freaked and thought it was a bug. So in response they changed it to give you 5xp for those things now. It seems to me there never was an xp bug, they just had an odd system in place to doll out the xp so you would not be above level 35 by the end of the game.

helo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By helo189

@sterling: That is a possibility I suppose. However, I'm more concerned with the fact that I only received 5exp for Pyers of Novigrad which is a main story quest (that is still green in my log) which is supposed to give out the most overall experience (several hundred at least).

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@sterling said:

@helo189: The truth is not all quests give/gave XP to begin with. And people freaked and thought it was a bug. So in response they changed it to give you 5xp for those things now. It seems to me there never was an xp bug, they just had an odd system in place to doll out the xp so you would not be above level 35 by the end of the game.

This. Also, the game doesn't always wait until the end of a quest to give you XP and doesn't always tell you when it does. Often times, you're being awarded XP In the middle of a quest or in a cutscene where the game isn't necessarily telling you so. So the actual pop-up might be telling you that 5XP was awarded at the end of the quest, but you might have picked up several hundred during some sub-step without the game telling you that. It's led to me pretty much ignoring the pop-ups and just looking at the actual level bar instead. If that's not going up, then you might have a problem.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sterling
@lawgamer said:
@sterling said:

This. Also, the game doesn't always wait until the end of a quest to give you XP and doesn't always tell you when it does. Often times, you're being awarded XP In the middle of a quest or in a cutscene where the game isn't necessarily telling you so. So the actual pop-up might be telling you that 5XP was awarded at the end of the quest, but you might have picked up several hundred during some sub-step without the game telling you that. It's led to me pretty much ignoring the pop-ups and just looking at the actual level bar instead. If that's not going up, then you might have a problem.

Ya now that you mention that. I just completed the Isle of Mists, and while during conversation I was hearing the XP awarded sound. And after the conversation I had leveled up twice. I went form level 26 to 28. But at no point did it show me that on screen. I just heard the sound it normally makes.

helo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: I'll have to start paying closer attention the experience bar itself from now on. I still think I've got something else going on though. I had just hit level 14 when starting Pyers and by the end had only just over 100 total experience towards 15

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

@helo189: If you are receiving any XP for a quest then no you don't have the bug that plagued people, as that was a very specific issue.

@sterling said:
@lawgamer said:
@sterling said:

Ya now that you mention that. I just completed the Isle of Mists, and while during conversation I was hearing the XP awarded sound. And after the conversation I had leveled up twice. I went form level 26 to 28. But at no point did it show me that on screen. I just heard the sound it normally makes.

The game indeed did not give out XP for every quest by intent.

But there absolutely was a major bug as well, it was well documented and proven and then fixed. There wasn't a freakout for no reason.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@helo189: If you are receiving any XP for a quest then no you don't have the bug that plagued people, as that was a very specific issue.

@sterling said:
@lawgamer said:
@sterling said:

The game indeed did not give out XP for every quest.

But there absolutely was a major bug, it was well documented and proven and then fixed. There wasn't a freakout for no reason.

No Caption Provided

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti
thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@helo189 said:

Right, but like I said both of these quests were still green on my quest log, not grey. I was under the impression that this meant that I am supposed to get the full amount of exp, unless I'm missing something.

I've seen it said that there's a mistake with the colour coding: quests that are still green, but are 5 levels below you, should actually be greyed out. Potentially. I had a similar thing with the first main story quest I did.

In fact as of now I'm not sure I have had any xp since the patch for quests...

helo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By helo189

@thomasnash said:
@helo189 said:

I've seen it said that there's a mistake with the colour coding: quests that are still green, but are 5 levels below you, should actually be greyed out. Potentially. I had a similar thing with the first main story quest I did.

Man, this whole thing seems so unnecessarily convoluted. I've heard that it's only grayed out for 6 levels below you and only for 5 levels below you. For the record, my issue is for a quest that was 4 levels below me.

deathfromace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@helo189 said:
@thomasnash said:
@helo189 said:

Man, this whole thing seems so unnecessarily convoluted. I've heard that it's only grayed out for 6 levels below you and only for 5 levels below you. For the record, my issue is for a quest that was 4 levels below me.

Just do the quests you want and don't worry about the experience. You will level when you need to and the game will go on. They also throws tons of experience at you near the end of the main quest.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By monetarydread

@helo189 said:

So, yesterday I downloaded patch 1.04 for the Witcher 3 on my Xbone which, among other things, was supposed to fix the issue of not receiving EXP for completed quests. However, I completed two quests, one was a main story quest (Pyers of Novigrad) and the other was a contract (I can't remember the name). I only received 5 exp for both of these. I know that this can't be right. Additionally, I do not believe that I am over-leveled for either quest. I was level 14 and the the quests were level 10 and level 12. Also, both were "green" in my quest log which, as I understand it, means that I should still be receiving the intended amount of experience.

Is anyone else having this problem/heard of someone having this problem on any platform post-patch? I've done a couple google searches and I can't seem to find anything about it.

Sounds like it is working properly. The quest XP scales with how close, or far away, you are to the recommended level. Just like in WOW, if the quest is too low a level you don't get any XP. Also, you get fragments for completing a part of a quest. For example, when you finish the quest for the crones at crookback bogm, you only get 5xp because it is technically a small part of the Bloody Baron questline.

I am also noticing that levels above 18 doesn't really matter too much. I am a 100 hours into the game now and past that, levels are really only used for equipment unlocks. a

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not surprised you still have issues. You are a patch behind. PC ihad been on 1.05 for a while now and still has some minor issues.