Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo Reach Beta Initial Impressions

Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Ashuku

So, because of formally being employed by OfficeDepot, I have been registered on Microsoft's RetailExpert Zone for over a year. Yesterday I got an email that telling me that I can get access to the Reach Beta. Its a quick quiz that took about 1 minute, then It redirected me to a website where they email me a code. I was able to put it in and start downloading immediately.  

I've only played 10 rounds so far, but I think it's enough to make a fair assessment.  

First I'll start with the matchmaking stuff. It seems to work surprisingly well. I went 3 or 4 games with people who didn't even have their headsets plugged in, changed the preference to find me "Chatty Players", and the next round my entire team was talking up a storm. I was impressed considering there were less than 1000 people online when I was doing this. The vetoing system is something they should have figured out a long time ago, and it also works really well. Its nice to be able to choose what gametype you're going to play.  

Onto the actual gameplay of it. Right off the bat, it feels very ,"Halo". I recently started playing Halo 3 again, and the hardest part of switching from Halo 3 to Reach is getting used to the change in button layout.  They tightened up the aiming since Halo 3, it's a lot less "floaty". This is more noticeable when switching back to Halo 3 from reach, than it is going in. 

The armor abilities are really cool, and seem to balance out pretty well. I haven't seen any one ability that works better than any other.   

Jetpacks are a bit slow,  and going up into the open air leaves you pretty vulnerable, and if you drop from a high height there is fall damage, and you cant move for half a second.  

Stealth is really cool how it balances. When you go invisible, you can't hear anything at all, not even announcer voices. So you never know if your flag is taken or anything like that.  

Armor Lock seems like it'd be really useful for a certain style of playing, but it hasn't been very useful for me. 

And lastly, Sprint seems kind of like a cop-out of an ability. It should be something that's standard for everyone.  

The main thing I've noticed about Reach so far is that it takes a lot longer to kill foolios than it does in halo 3. You'll unload an entire clip into someone, switch to your pistol and it'll still take 1/2 a clip from that to take him down. Also, melee is pretty much useless now.  

I'd go on for longer about this, but I have to get ready and go to work. 

Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ashuku

So, because of formally being employed by OfficeDepot, I have been registered on Microsoft's RetailExpert Zone for over a year. Yesterday I got an email that telling me that I can get access to the Reach Beta. Its a quick quiz that took about 1 minute, then It redirected me to a website where they email me a code. I was able to put it in and start downloading immediately.  

I've only played 10 rounds so far, but I think it's enough to make a fair assessment.  

First I'll start with the matchmaking stuff. It seems to work surprisingly well. I went 3 or 4 games with people who didn't even have their headsets plugged in, changed the preference to find me "Chatty Players", and the next round my entire team was talking up a storm. I was impressed considering there were less than 1000 people online when I was doing this. The vetoing system is something they should have figured out a long time ago, and it also works really well. Its nice to be able to choose what gametype you're going to play.  

Onto the actual gameplay of it. Right off the bat, it feels very ,"Halo". I recently started playing Halo 3 again, and the hardest part of switching from Halo 3 to Reach is getting used to the change in button layout.  They tightened up the aiming since Halo 3, it's a lot less "floaty". This is more noticeable when switching back to Halo 3 from reach, than it is going in. 

The armor abilities are really cool, and seem to balance out pretty well. I haven't seen any one ability that works better than any other.   

Jetpacks are a bit slow,  and going up into the open air leaves you pretty vulnerable, and if you drop from a high height there is fall damage, and you cant move for half a second.  

Stealth is really cool how it balances. When you go invisible, you can't hear anything at all, not even announcer voices. So you never know if your flag is taken or anything like that.  

Armor Lock seems like it'd be really useful for a certain style of playing, but it hasn't been very useful for me. 

And lastly, Sprint seems kind of like a cop-out of an ability. It should be something that's standard for everyone.  

The main thing I've noticed about Reach so far is that it takes a lot longer to kill foolios than it does in halo 3. You'll unload an entire clip into someone, switch to your pistol and it'll still take 1/2 a clip from that to take him down. Also, melee is pretty much useless now.  

I'd go on for longer about this, but I have to get ready and go to work. 

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Firefight's are supposed to last longer than Halo 3.  Sage said so on the podcast. It's good to hear that it's good, mere mortals like myself have to wait till Monday.

MystDragon3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MystDragon3k

The part I like most about Halo gameplay is that if you start taking damage, you can fight back. In other games (I hate calling out MW2 but its the biggest example) if you start getting shot, you've already lost so much health you cant react fast enough to even line up a shot, IF you weren't already killed instantly. While I expect the weapons to be balanced a bit better for the final version (havent played but i hear the focus rifle is obnoxious) I like how even if someone starts shooting you from behind, you can not only return fire, but actualy kill the opponent if you're good enough. Its a bit slower than other shooters, but I like that.

Everything else you've said, like muting sound when you're invisible is genius. I so cant wait to play.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Grenades do too much damage, and that laser....oh god that laser!

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

stealth sounds good, i rarely play with sound 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By meteora

I got my beta key from GiantBomb, and my impressions of Halo Reach has been favourable; which is ironic since I tend to talk shit about Halo 3. 

Jetpacks changes everything.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Three0neFive

Quick question for anyone with the beta: Is it actually rendered in 1920x1080 like the screenshots? I'm insanely doubtful, but still.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By finstern
    @CL60:
    That fuckin laser!!! Needs to be toned down ALOT, same with the plasma launcher, great weapon in theory, great weapon if it were real, great weapon when you're holding it... but when your on the opposing team its a pocket game winner!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
    @Finstern said:
    " @CL60:That fuckin laser!!! Needs to be toned down ALOT, same with the plasma launcher, great weapon in theory, great weapon if it were real, great weapon when you're holding it... but when your on the opposing team its a pocket game winner! "
    Indeed.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lambert

Well you did play a lot of Halo 3, and since the game hasn't changed much, you could make a fair assessment of it without even playing the game.

Well, this feature will be abused when the actual game comes out. Players that are not "chatty" will pick it, and players who are, will pick the other option just to piss off people. Considering that 95% of the Halo fanbase is 12 year olds, you can expect a lot of abusing the system.

That is expected. You can't expect any real change to the gameplay if the mindless sheep continue to buy the same game with better graphics for 10 years.

Seems like a gimmick.

Whenever Bungie steals ideas and calls it their own, they always fail. Tribes came out around a decade ago, and they can't even get it to be at least satisfactory?

What do you expect from Bungie? They will take features from other games (which by the way, they are 20 years late) and can't even do those right.
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By finstern
    @Lambert said:
    "

Well you did play a lot of Halo 3, and since the game hasn't changed much, you could make a fair assessment of it without even playing the game.

Well, this feature will be abused when the actual game comes out. Players that are not "chatty" will pick it, and players who are, will pick the other option just to piss off people. Considering that 95% of the Halo fanbase is 12 year olds, you can expect a lot of abusing the system.

That is expected. You can't expect any real change to the gameplay if the mindless sheep continue to buy the same game with better graphics for 10 years.

Seems like a gimmick.

Whenever Bungie steals ideas and calls it their own, they always fail. Tribes came out around a decade ago, and they can't even get it to be at least satisfactory?

What do you expect from Bungie? They will take features from other games (which by the way, they are 20 years late) and can't even do those right. "
    Someone didn't get into the beta or couldn't convince their mommy to buy them an Xbox 360 instead of a Wii.
    Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ashuku
    @Lambert: I wasn't complaining about the jetpacks. I was just rushed in what I was trying to type since I had to leave for work. The things I said about it were what they did to balance them, they're super fun to use, and pretty much the only armor ability I pick.  

Bungie being original or not is it's own debate. But if you actually play Reach, you'll see that this isn't just a rehash of any of the other games. It takes the "Halo" formula, and changes a lot. It plays like the other halo games, but with all of the different armor abilities, the completely new weapons, and hell, even the way the guns fire (you have to deal with a lot of recoil now), its a pretty unique experience. Not saying its completely unique, but its the largest change than they've ever made to the franchise, and arguably larger than say going from Modern Warfare to Modern Warfare 2. 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DystopiaX

I don't have as much of a problem with grenades. I do think they should be a bit weaker, but they were too weak in H3. Pistols and DMRs are 5sks. I think that it's ok but there's not enough ammo per clip. either increase the ammo amount in the clip for both weapons or decrease the 5sk to a 4sk. 

The beam rifle or whatever they call it IS overpowered, but I think that was intentional. It was supposed to be like a beam sniper. However, I think they should nerf it because it takes a lot less skill than sniping (which for some reason is a lot easier in this game).

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By project343
    @Lambert said: 

Your entire post reeks of some sort of spiteful bitterness--it's almost morbid. But that aside, the jetpack's flaws have been mentioned by Bungie themselves in the most recent Vidoc: it leaves you incredibly exposed. 

Further, art and technology primarily revolve around 'stealing' (or better: 'adopting') innovations. Products/works bring something new to the table, and people adopt said ideas. Without adoption, 'evolution' and 'progression' would cease to exist.
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By wh1terav3n

Melee isn't useless per-se, you just have to make sure the dude's shields are down first, also based on both my and my friends experience it seems as though you can block an energy sword with a (very) well timed melee.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @masterpaperlink said:
    " stealth sounds good, i rarely play with sound  "
    Like with MW2, sound is more important in Reach, you can hear grenades coming (they sound like some one making a fake wind noise), as well as other stuff.
    Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ashuku
    @wh1terav3n: Yeah, I get that. This is one of the other things I wanted to go into but didn't have time to write out before work. 

The melee plays a lot into it taking longer to kill people in reach. In Halo 2/3, you'd pretty much melee after you ran out of ammo. Whoever jams on that B button fastest gets the kill. But in reach, it seems like most of the weapons take pretty much every shot in a clip to even drain the shields all the way. So you'll be in a fire fight, unload all of your bullets in your assault rifle, melee the guy you're fighting and THEN his shield finally pop. So you either have to try to land another hit, or switch to your other weapon. 
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By big_jon
    @Lambert:
    Man you`re an anoying troll.  Go away and stop posting your negative bias bull shit in every ones Halo threads.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Ashuku said:
    " @wh1terav3n: Yeah, I get that. This is one of the other things I wanted to go into but didn't have time to write out before work.  The melee plays a lot into it taking longer to kill people in reach. In Halo 2/3, you'd pretty much melee after you ran out of ammo. Whoever jams on that B button fastest gets the kill. But in reach, it seems like most of the weapons take pretty much every shot in a clip to even drain the shields all the way. So you'll be in a fire fight, unload all of your bullets in your assault rifle, melee the guy you're fighting and THEN his shield finally pop. So you either have to try to land another hit, or switch to your other weapon.  "
    I think it's their attempt to reward accuracy. All weapons have the ability to completely kill someone (DMR=5sk, 12 shots in clip, Pistol has 12 shots in clip, also 5sk, idk how many shots in AR, but it can be done, etc.). Basically, since the more accurate player is more likely to drain all their shields, they will win the melee battle, unlike in Halo 3 where the person with the faster melee would win or the 2 players would trade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.