Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mega Man Universe

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Mega Man Universe is the cancelled Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network game that would have been a 2D platformer that emphasized stage creation and bringing the old school and new school together.

I think I figured out what I want this game to be.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By jacksukeru
    Cancelled ;/ 

I don't know about you, but too me what's been shown of Mega Man Universe so far make it seem like a, partially 3D, 2D Mega Man with a bunch of extra characters. Characters that may or may not have swapable appendages, lego style! I was initially disappointed seeing this, because I was expecting something...I dunno...more? I got over it though and intead started thinking about what led Capcom here, and where would be the best direction to go from here. 

It's like they (thankfully) realized that making just Mega Man 11 in 8-bit style would be pushing it a bit, but that anything outside the "classic" style would be too risky, or maybe just not "Mega Man" enough. People have compared the extra characters to playing as the bosses in Mega Man: Powered Up which seems fitting enough. For all we know they could take this concept really far, making the non-Mega Man characters abilites unique, like having Nathan Spencer swing around the ceiling or making Viewtiful Joe slow down time. As someone who played and enjoyed Megaman 9 & 10 this seemed fine to me, if not particulary exciting. 

It wasn't until I rewatched this video of a fan game (that may or may not be vaporware at this point) that I knew what they could do to really make this entry in the Mega Man franchise worthwhile: 

The answer comes about a minute in the video, in the form of Co-Op multiplayer. 

Now I'm not a big internet multiplayer sorta guy, but I'd be damned if the thought of playing online, multiplayer, sidescrolling Mega Man, even with assholes (especially with assholes), didn't sound like the best thing since Mario Kart. Heck, I'd even begrudingly settle for Local.

Bottom line is that if Mario and Kirby can pull off cooperative and make it fun, I'd think there'd be no reason why Mega Man couldn't do it. What do you guys think?
    WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WJist
    @RockmanBionics said:     
     " The answer comes about a minute in the video, in the form of Co-Op multiplayer.  Now I'm not a big internet multiplayer sorta guy, but I'd be damned if the thought of playing online, multiplayer, sidescrolling Mega Man, even with assholes (especially with assholes), didn't sound like the best thing since Mario Kart. Heck, I'd even begrudingly settle for Local.  Bottom line is that if Mario and Kirby can pull off cooperative and make it fun, I'd think there'd be no reason why Mega Man couldn't do it. What do you guys think? "
    I think lag for online multiplayer would be a big issue here, particularly with the kind of precise platforming in Mega Man games.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jacksukeru
    @WJist:  True, neither of my examples (NSMBW and a number of the Kirby games) have had online multiplayer. To be honest when I first thought of it, I had only local multiplayer in mind. Though I later figured people would ask for more these days so I might as well make it a point. As would probably Capcom, depending on what they'd be willing to invest in the project.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jacksukeru

On the bright side, now that Mega Man Universe is cancelled, Capcom could focus on making a game like the one in that fan made trailer. 

They are ready.
    The world is ready. 
    My body is ready. 
    Let's do this! 

...Please?

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I am really depressed that this got cancelled.  Still, it frees up more time for Megaman Legends 3... right guys?

...guys?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NegativeCero

Well, I can't say I expected much after Inafune left as dramatically as he did. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.