Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 07, 2016

A reboot of the previously singleton franchise, this game features Faith using parkour in an open-world.

New trailer, release date, sign up for closed beta.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ZolRoyce

Hey there duders, I don't normally make a topic for a new trailer, but I'm so excited I just had to. A new story trailer dropped for the game.

A release date was announced: May 24th.

And a closed beta sign up was announced too. Click me, for I am link.

I'm pretty excited for it, it looks gorgeous, I know that is in-engine and not gameplay so we'll still have to wait to see what that really looks like, but just visually I'm om board, and the music sounds on par for how good it was in the first game.

Story seems like it might be somewhat competent this time around too, maybe, it doesn't look fantastic or anything, but it looks better than the first game (in my opinion) ranged from dumb to dull. So this seems like more effort was put in. I know EA is involved and anything could happen to make me lose my FAITHsorry in it, but so far so good, what's everyone else think?

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the story in the first game would've been totally serviceable had they done it all as in-game cutscenes instead of these god-awful cartoons. The first-person hugging scene with your sister relatively early on showed the potential that had.

This mostly looks like more ME to me (with maybe a bit more drama), which is perfectly fine by me, I mean it's been almost 8 years.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Despite Faith being Asian with dark hair, she looks oddly reminiscent of Chloe from Life is Strange to me.

Anyway, this has me excited that I'll hopefully be able to play it soon after my exams are over. Also, the music has the same great tone of the original.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: Also, FYI, I think your video embed has the timer set to start at 0:25 rather than 0:00. It likely has something like "?t=25s" added to the end of it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Looks really pretty. Very excited for them taking another shot at ME.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZolRoyce

@dixavd: Oh, weird, you're right, thanks, I'll try to fix that now.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By katpottz

I like what I see so far but I really hope all the colors in the city will be toned down when actually playing via runner vision, otherwise navigating around that environment could be a nightmare.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

So what's the catch this time around? Same base game with revitalized story and now an open world?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@katpottz said:

I like what I see so far but I really hope all the colors in the city will be toned down when actually playing via runner vision, otherwise navigating around that environment could be a nightmare.

I was wondering about that as well. I assume they have other methods of helping you out. The colors in the first game helped but even then you could get lost at parts.

In ways I kind of like the game having to master a line over time though. I think there have to be better ways to help you out as far as navigation in the game than the first game managed.

Also, because it's open, we have to wonder if it will be as linear. Maybe there will be more ways to get places than in the first game. Then the color and specific paths matter less.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Good God that story looks like it is gonna suck HARD.

"The Quest for Approval of everyone who is very VERY disappointed in you, young lady!"

Give me a break. The Story of the first game wasn't really great, but at least it had some good notions and wasn't all about (proxy) daddy issues.

Still, it's Mirrors Edge, Playable Stuff looks fun.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ezekiel

@frybird said:

Good God that story looks like it is gonna suck HARD.

"The Quest for Approval of everyone who is very VERY disappointed in you, young lady!"

Give me a break. The Story of the first game wasn't really great, but at least it had some good notions and wasn't all about (proxy) daddy issues.

Still, it's Mirrors Edge, Playable Stuff looks fun.

My thoughts too. I don't need that drama.

I kind of wish there were a third person option. A few years ago I would have considered that blasphemy for ME, but I've come around. I like the greater field of view, the sense of where your feet are and the ability to look around while moving forward. In first person, looking to the side means stopping a run.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrainScratch

The first one is one of my favorite games, I never had a problem with guns (because I knew it wasn't a shooting game and never used them) and I liked the stylized animated cutscenes. So, obviously, I'm really curious about Catalyst.

I do have two big fears about this one so far.

First, is how it looks. I really like the visuals of the first one, it still looks really pretty even on today's standards, but Catalyst seems to have way more color, light effects and more clutter all around while the first one had a way more minimalistic feel overall. Sure, the colors where strong and vibrant, but where placed on key points and usually you never had too much different colors in one place, it felt like each level had a thematic color palette and that guided you through the game. I really liked the idea that the color and design was enough to navigate you, without the need for a map or an HUD. I'm not getting that feeling with this one so far. Also, the first one felt like present day on an alternative timeline or, at least, a not so distant future, it was more grounded, while this one feels way more futuristic.

My second problem is the story. The original Mirror's Edge had a simple story, it could be better, but it worked. Faith was just a courier, a runner, a nobody who got caught up on a bigger plot and went out of her way to help save her sister. This one feels like Faith is like the "chosen one" better than everyone else but also some "special snow-flake" with issues no one gets who has to prove to everyone else she's really as good as she thinks she is. It feels like the whole world of the game revolves around Faith instead of the other way around.

Let's hope I'm wrong, even with these fears I have, this trailer got me more excited for Catalyst than I've been in a while. I just registered for the Beta, I hope I get in, Betas to me are the new demos and I really need to test this game first before deciding to spend that much money on it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By jacksukeru

I was into that trailer, and it reminded me to put this game down on my wishlist.

8 years, huh. I really wanted to like the first game back then, but it was tough. I keep wondering if my frustrations would have been alleviated had I not gone for that gunless achievement, letting me shoot the heavily armed guards instead of trying to time their strict disarm button press over and over while making my way down some stairs. Or if playing it on a better TV would have let me see that hole in the fence that I was supposed to go through instead of getting stuck in the following room for an hour, with the guide button pointing me towards a closed gate there was no way to open. These are sadly the two things I remember the most vividly when thinking back to it after all this time.

I have tried to replay the original a few times to get a fresher perspective but have never gotten farther than level 2. After seeing that trailer I started thinking of trying again, before this reboot is out. I guess I still really want to like it, to understand and appreciate its appeal on its own, just in case Catalyst doesn't end up "fixing" what has prevented me from enjoying the original to this point.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Trailer gave me chills, the first game while not the best was an amazing concept if the story had been all in engine I feel like the first game would have been way better, this looks solid.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beta? So multiplayer??

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I'm more excited for this game then I realized! Loved the first game to death but had just kind of forgotten about this. For my trailer reactions:

I think this looks pretty good but I gotta say... I, uh, don't really/never ever cared for, the "story" of Mirror's Edge, and I'm almost weirded out/worried by how much it seems to matter in this game. The infamous "Insurance Ad" cartoons of the first game were no good, but it was the correct amount of story. I'm really hoping this game isn't too bloated!

All that said, they definitely recaptured the physical spirit of the game (environments), though as ArtisanBreads and others pointed out... isn't it a little busy/colourful in places? Maybe it's just my memory but ME seemed like it used an extremely limited colour palette/coding rules to help you navigate so quickly. The more open nature of this game leaves a lot of questions on the table!

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA just gave us this because people demeaned it for so long. unfortunately It's been a long time since the first one so it's hard to get impressed, or excited by anything about this game. Doesn't help that it's probably not going to sell well for all the momentum its lost. It will sell poorly, and EA now have the excuse that they finally did it, but we didn't buy it.

It's cool that a sequel to Mirrors Edge exists though.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of her new face/head design. This game is a big question mark for me. I feel like it could be great but it could also be misguided garbage. Definitely wouldn't mind trying it before buying it.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that seemed like something right out of a modern dystopian YA novel. Meh.

I don't really come to Mirror's Edge for brooding stares and forced character drama.

I just really hope the level design is solid.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

why does Dice keep thinking it could do story? Mirror's Edge was 8 years ago and it doesn't seem they learned their lessons from Battlefield.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what's the catch this time around? Same base game with revitalized story and now an open world?

Of what has been revealed, pretty much, open world, a reboot of the story, and some sort of multiplayer component though they aren't saying much of what it is.

Beta? So multiplayer??

There is going to be something but they aren't really saying much yet. IGN -Mirror's Edge: Catalyst has elements of multiplayer within its campaign, but no live competitive modes. DICE's Patrick Bach said that live multiplayer was "something we discussed quite a bit," but ultimately the team "decided to separate you physically. But there's always a connection to other players." The hopeful in me wants Dark Souls meets Mirrors Edge, imagine going around on a roof of a building and it drops someone else in and you're just having a race with another person sudden.
    The realist thinks maybe some sort of ghost system? Though why a beta for that? Or why a beta for SP? Wouldn't that just be a glorified demo, that quote was from June of last year too so maybe they added in a more prominent MP feature since? Eager to find out.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OurSin_360

@zolroyce: hmm hope its optional I could see always online killing this game especially with connection issues and lag spikes.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirror's Edge had a ton of potential, but fell short in some key areas. Hoping this one fixes those mistakes.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

unfortunately It's been a long time since the first one so it's hard to get impressed, or excited by anything about this game.

Is it? Perhaps for you, but I'm incredibly excited for this game and the coverage I've seen so far only amplifies that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.