Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

The Reaper's Chains....

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfart

Did anyone else get nervous when they heard this sound, expecting the ever-dreaded Persona 3 Reaper?

He wasn't in playthrough 1 of P4 vanilla, so I wasn't expecting it at all. Did anyone have any run ins yet?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I wasn't aware he was in the game until I played it, but from what I understand: don't open chests when you hear that ominous sound.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Yeah, whenever I hear the chains it freaks me out a little. Is the reaper in the game? I went looking for him the first time I heard the chains and found nothing.

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By deano546

I think he only appears when you both hear that sound and open a chest, and even then, the game warns you about it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Wemibelle

I wasn't aware it would happen and started to panic when it happened. Didn't know how it would actually work - P3 like where he roams the floor or P4 like where he's in a chest. Glad to know it's safe.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By colourful_hippie

Oh I thought I was being crazy and just imagining that sound. Fuck that noise!

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By metalsnakezero

I still get nightmares from the reaper fights -_-

Either from P4 and even worst P3

bbrcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bbrcher

I'm sad I haven't been able to find him yet. Some Japanese site said 20 chests will trigger the sound and then the next chest has only a chance of him showing up. Doesn't make much sense to me since the sound goes away when I go up a level to find more chests...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

My first play through FES, I ran into him and ended up losing a few hours of progress... pissed me off and left me scared shitless of that sound. Fuuka told me she sensed Death but... I didn't believe her! I heard the sound in Golden last night and it got my heart racing pretty good. The character design for that thing is pretty rad.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By nightriff

He's fucked me up pretty bad in P3P a few times, but finally took the bastard down...now for the rematch in P4G apparently....

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By nohthink

Don't open the chest. The game will warn you by saying something like "This chest is evil!!" When you hear that, don't open the box.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By metalsnakezero

Holy crap, I just beat my first Reaper last night. Super lucky that I had a persona with Null physical and 4 misses on Hama. Team had endure 1 blow so they lived till the end.

@nohthink said:

Don't open the chest. The game will warn you by saying something like "This chest is evil!!" When you hear that, don't open the box.

Not just the game but Rise is like "Yo, bad things will F***ing happen if you open this Senpai!"

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By dethfish

I kept freaking out and bringing up the map looking for him on there. I eventually found a chest that warned me about it's contents before opening it. I opened it just to see if it was the Reaper and then immediately used a Vanish Ball. Is he just as hard in P4 as he was in P3? Is it a bad idea to attack him with a lvl 20 party? I assume so but didn't want to chance it.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By metalsnakezero

@Dethfish: Best yet till your at level 70 and with some powerful persona for the MC.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

For those who actually want to fight the reaper ( :P ), I can confirm that the best way to do so is such:

1. Find a dungeon with a bunch of chests on a floor (eg. the last dungeon of the game). I find that on a particular day, some floors tend to produce a specific amount of chests +/- 1 or so - in that dungeon I found a floor (5 or 6) which consistently produced 4-6 chests. You want 5+.
    2. Run around in that dungeon until you've opened 16 chests of any type (yeah, you should keep count - and this method has been circulating specifically calling for that number, don't ask me why)
    3. Go to the chest floor without opening any more than that 16 then bamf out (depending on how you've approached the dungeon it'll sometimes let you come back in on that very floor - I haven't figured out what the trigger is for that though)
    4. Save it.
    5. Go back in, run to each chest - if you want you can spec them out and make sure to open a normal one last. You now have a very high chance of fighting the reaper (I think the magic number is either 20 or 21 chests).
    6. He wasn't there? Just reload your save and rescout that floor. Retrying totally works as long as you followed the above steps.

Why do you want to fight the reaper?

He drops the best weapons for all of the characters. He also drops Godly Robes (I think equipable by both sexes) which have the highest defence stat of any armor and +10 to all stats.

But then, you don't NEED to do this. I just beat Margaret on NG+ without maxed weapons or armor.

What should you have?

Well, if you want a sadly easy time of it, you can follow my guide to make an OP persona (with that you can solo him with your MC). Otherwise all your party really needs is more than 400 health for everyone and someone with Mediarahan or Salvation (eg. yukiko).

Garrador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Garrador

First time I ran I was kicking his ass till he decided all he was going to do was spam Mind Charge then Megidolaon every single round. Second time I ran into him I soloed him with my Yoshitsune. Now with the ability to pick what he gets in a fusion it didn't involve me canceling fusion for three hours to get the immune to everything Yoshitsune.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Garrador: Eff yeah Yoshitsune : )

I did the same, and Solo'd Margaret with him as well (normal difficulty though, I'd have to do a bunch more fusing to solo her on Risky as you need multiple persona with Enduring Soul).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.