Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Interesting Discovery about PS4 voice recognition

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By sammo21

This may be a total "derp" moment, but I thought the voice recognition stuff only worked when you used the Playstation Camera. I was testing USB headsets that I owned so I plugged in my Logitech headset (wired version of G930) and it

1. Asked me who was using the headset

2. Immediately started taking voice commands

The ability went away when I went into a party and was using the headset for voice chat but when I went back out of the party it started working again. I was pretty impressed as it picked up what, limited, functionality it had rather well with no frustration. If they can get bluetooth headsets to work with this I think this will be a better way to do voice recognition than the camera.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By spraynardtatum

I agree. That's really cool. A headset or microphone attached to your face or controller would be a much better option than one that is most likely mere inches away from your television.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That's super cool

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, if I could use my G930s with my PS4, that'd be pretty awesome. Now you make me want to go fiddle around with it tonight.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Weird...

So..

The other day I had a headset plugged in (it doesn't have a mic though) and I gave a voice command, and it worked.

HOW COULD IT HAVE WORKED? Is there a mic inside the controller? Is there a hidden mic inside my headset??

Shishkabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: The defining attribute of this generation: magic.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: The controller is probably converting the speaker into a microphone. This isn't really difficult to do, speakers and microphones are essentially the same thing but physical design usually makes the input from a speaker or the output from a microphone pretty terrible. Assuming they designed the controller's speaker to be a passable mic, it demonstrates a remarkable attention to detail.

calvinsaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What?? You would think that if the controller could accept voice commands Sony would have advertised it to compete with the xbone

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@sammo21: I edited your topic title...try not to bury the lead and force people to click on the thread to even find out what it's about. Thanks.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By flippyandnod

Okay, that's weird. I posted a blank somehow.

Sony has been going the opposite way of MS and not advertising anything that isn't core gaming. No Kinect-style features, no voice recognition, no face login.

Maybe they'll change up once they satiate the "hardcore gamer" customer base. We'll see.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the weirdest part about Kinect. Microsoft has been talking up voice commands as a Kinect feature, and for some reason nobody has bothered to mention the fact that voice recognition has nothing to do with Kinect outside of its inclusion of a microphone. Anything with a decent microphone could be used for spoken commands, but it's like people have forgotten about that.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sammo21: It didn't ask who your father is nor his occupation?

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I discovered this accidentally when I plugged in my mic before sending out a chat invite to my cousin. It seems like a pretty cool feature.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

So for anyone who toyed with the voice stuff, how intricate does it get? I thought I heard that you can't do netflix support or anything with it. Just curious.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's quite limited. You can launch games and a few other things. No, it doesn't work in Netflix or anything other than the XMB dashboard as far as I can tell.

@sammo21 said:

So for anyone who toyed with the voice stuff, how intricate does it get? I thought I heard that you can't do netflix support or anything with it. Just curious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.