Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

One of the best learning experiences I have ever had in SC2.

Avaren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Avaren

Today I played a semi-short but hard fought match as Protoss against a Terran on scrap station.  I did a little bit of warp prism harass and met his bio ball with immortals. I pulled back to regroup after winning an initial fight but then I was overwhelmed as his expansion and macro overtook my army.  I gged, he said gg back, and I exited.  After the match, he messaged me: "very good game man, those prism drops were awesome." this started a conversation where we both watched the replay at the same time and told eachother what we were thinking during each pivotal moment in the fight. 

I never had a practice partner before, but now I want to get as many as possible. I can't describe how much more useful this was than any video, stream, replay watching, or forum reading. 

So, if you have a hard fought match, message the other person.  Tell them about their play.  See if they want to rematch.  Like most of the non-korean pros say when asked how they can compete with koreans, the best way they improve is by playing others of the same or better skill, and talking with those people about the games.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Rockanomics

Wow that's quite the cool happenstance. I normally did nothing but ladder games with myself or with a friend, but rarely ever against each-other. I should try it more.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By endless_void

If anyone here is platinum, I'm willing to be there practice partner, I already have a few, but I wouldn't mind having more :D

North American BNET
    StormChaser.851
    EST Timezone
    I don't usually go by scheduled times, but I've been practicing as much as possible since I'm entering a tournament thats coming up. School takes up alot of my time but if I'm online and available, hit me up for some matches.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @endless_void: 

What race do you play?
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By endless_void
    @Cataphract1014: Protoss, you?
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By thatfrood

I was playing a zerg once and he spine crawler cheesed me.
    After the match he messaged me and said he could teach me how to do his amazing spine crawler cheese build too, it works 100% of the time, no need to thank him.

We started a second match, I 6 pooled. I won.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @ThatFrood said:
    " I was playing a zerg once and he spine crawler cheesed me. After the match he messaged me and said he could teach me how to do his amazing spine crawler cheese build too, it works 100% of the time, no need to thank him.  We started a second match, I 6 pooled. I won. "
    Cheese>cheese?
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thatfrood
    @HaltIamReptar said:
    " @ThatFrood said:
    " I was playing a zerg once and he spine crawler cheesed me. After the match he messaged me and said he could teach me how to do his amazing spine crawler cheese build too, it works 100% of the time, no need to thank him.  We started a second match, I 6 pooled. I won. "
    Cheese>cheese? "
    Don't bring Provolone to a Muenster fight.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @ThatFrood said:

" @HaltIamReptar said:

" @ThatFrood said:
    Cheese>cheese? "
    Don't bring Provolone to a Muenster fight. "
    The way I got the "beat an insane AI in under five minutes achievement" was by getting 10 zerglings, and then throw them and all of my drones at the AI (zerg).  I then set up a Spine Crawler right in the middle of the base.  I won in 4:30.  Was it anything like that?
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By csl316

another cool thing about just a custom practice game is that there's really no downside to trying something crazy.  on ladder i'm worried about deviating from the usual and losing points, but with my buddy i'll go triple nuke just for the hell of it.

you start to look at the game in a different way.  once i brought my laptop over, and after each game we watched it right there in the same room.  we pretty much did what you mentioned.  i definitely learned a ton about zerg, and learned about some weaknesses in my play

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thatfrood
    @HaltIamReptar: Pretty much. It's a 6 pool + 1-2 spine crawlers.
    It's dumb.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @endless_void:  I play Protoss as well.  I'm about 1700 Platinum, and I'd be down to play some practice matches.  Most of my friends that play are a lot worse than I am. =\

Cataphract 586
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @ThatFrood said:
    " @HaltIamReptar: Pretty much. It's a 6 pool + 1-2 spine crawlers. It's dumb. "
    I wasn't sure if it was considered to be six pool if you stack up your zerglings for a little bit.  I mean, it's the same build order, but it's executed a bit differently.

I'm actually not sure how you would counter it if you weren't preparing for it, or weren't cheesing yourself.  Assuming that your micro abilities are identical.  In that achievement run I did, the AI had a bunch of roaches and a queen, and was not able to drive me off.
    Avaren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Avaren
    @ThatFrood said:
    Podcast storytelling redundancy! How dare you sir.
    Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arkanti
    @HaltIamReptar: 

No matter what else happens afterwards, making a spawning pool with 6 drones is a 6 pool.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By endless_void
    @Cataphract1014: Nice alright, I'm about a 1400 so I may have some catching up to do :P

I'll add you on BNET.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @endless_void I'm Diamond, but pretty casual about it if you wanted someone else to add to your list. I play random Starcow#674
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By leburgan

Casual diamond toss here, but out for a few days from a fried psu. Tankintheair.264

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.