Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

This is Brad's fault.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pigmartyr

So after all of the podcast coverage and talk from Brad I finally broke down and bought SC2 today. I've been holding out for PC reasons and the fact that I know that this game will suck my life away. God Damn it Brad, why did you do this to me! 

I logged a metric ton of hours into SC/Brood wars but thats was years ago. How accessible is this to a pretty familiar SC/WC3 player? Someone please tell me its like riding a bike. Also I have PC concerns. i was able to play L4D2 pretty well with minimal jerk, but i know there is alot more going on. I exceed all the minimum req except proc which is just a step behind the minimum. Its a laptop so I'm boned for upgrades, but does anyone see this as being a problem? I'm not looking at running ultra, just being able to play period. 

Again Brad, this is your fault. You have forsaken me with your grand tales of starcraft and inevitably are going force me into building/buying a new PC just to play starcraft. God Damnit!

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

Urgh, Processor is the absolute WORST thing to not meet requirements for this game, and RTS games in general really. I guess you might be ok with stuff on min in 1v1 if you don't both mass zerglings or carriers or something where you can get a lot of units. 

SC/WC3 to SC2 is pretty easy. SC2 is extremely accessible, even to someone who hasn't played an RTS before. That's probably one of the best things about the game, how accessible they've made it.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

Ugh Brad is the worst!

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By super2j

The minimum requirements are not set in stone, if you are close to the minimum, then you should be ok but you will be cutting it very close. As far as i am aware blizzard is all about the lowest requirements possible to get as many people into the tent as possible. That is why i feel you should be ok but get ready to set everything low.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By audiosnag

You can go below the min requirements and still run it.
    And it is very much a 'riding a bike' thing, there are a lot of subtle changes but the core game feels very much the same, shouldn't take you long to get the hang of at all.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By wunder_

Turn off voice chat when you're in the game -- it takes up some unnecessary processing time. Playing on all low should hopefully be fine, but the worst feeling you get is when you lag in a 1v1. You have to have a really smooth experience to micro well and if you can't, you'll be at a huge disadvantage :<

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Mattalorian

If the game is unbearably laggy, you can try enabling Triple Buffering, and disabling V-Sync. I'm not sure if those settings are in SC2, but if not, you can force-enable/disable them in some type of hardware performance control panel (like the NVIDIA Control Panel.)
    In some cases, it can boost the framerate by as much as 20 FPS.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gamefreak9

TBH, this is the worst thing about SC2, i got a high end laptop 2 years ago... i never thought that it would expire by the time SC2 came out, i was expecting slightly harder to run than W3, but i hate running low specs and still lagging. 

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thule
    @gamefreak9:
    I doubt your laptop could've been called high-end two years ago and yet it's having problems running SC2 on low now.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Thule:  
    My bad i meant to say 3, and i don't know anyone else with a laptop that had 4 gig ram, and a dual SLI radeon graphics card, it might not sound much by todays standards. Oddly enough i could run the beta pretty ok, maybe i do need a format pretty badly.  
    I confess i am not a whiz computer parts, but i did spend a good amount of money :). 
    Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thule
    @gamefreak9: That should run Sc2 just fine actually, maybe not with everything on high, but it shouldn't run like crap on low.
    anterline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By anterline

I got SC2 because of Brad but its been dusting on my shelf since. I can't seem to get around to playing it. 

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nephrahim

My Pc was top of the line like, 6 years ago, and runs SC2.  You'll be fine.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd never played a Blizzard RTS before and I'm not good at Starcraft II but believe me, it's still possible for pretty much anyone who has a remote idea what they're doing to win matches.

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Creigz

I have an i7 running my box, it seems to run SC2 well.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pigmartyr

To update It did run very well on the laptop. I had misread the 2.4 GHZ P4 as a 2.4 dual core minimum. I've got a 1.87 DC proc so I still run it on low, but it runs like a champ. First match played as zerg against a medium AI and got it handed to me in a big time way. Second match as terrans I still got beat down, but it wasnt as severe. Someone is surely going to get some easy wins on my behalf very soon. =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.