Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 19, 2012

The deadly futuristic sport of Monday Night Combat returned with a free-to-play sequel, bringing with it new combatants and environments. It was later discontinued on May 24, 2018.

The proper art of griefing

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

So, I had a really awful match in SMNC recently. The problem didn't lie with my own preternatural skills (naturally), but with my team. My team literally spent $0 during the course of the entire match with the exception of a few ejectors. So instead of rage-quitting like a regular griefer would do, I actively chased the other team for them to kill me. I know that what I did was absolutely deplorable and unsportsmanlike. I should be banned from ever playing the game again for what I did. The community should lift it's collective banhammer and remove from my steam account even the original MNC. I'm sorry for what I did, I will beg for your forgiveness if I must, and it won't happen again.

All that being said, how do you combat ignorance of a game's mechanics when you can't communicate fast enough? Teammates who don't know the power they hold in their hands, how do you tell them about when they refuse to do anything but type? If they would only heed my pleas, we could do a lot better than we did in that match, heck, we could even win one sometime. Alas, it was not meant to be. So I carry on, misplacing my anger on the assassin and all of my seething rage upon teammates who refuse to spend their money.

Anyway, I finished Orcs Must Die! recently. That was a very refreshing experience, similar to Borderlands. Like Borderlands, it mixed two things that I love very much (fast-paced action games with real-time strategy/tower defense) and made it into a brand new experience that I also enjoy a lot. The best parts are when you realize you can use a new strategy that you never thought of before. However, that strategy is no longer a static thing that requires little input from the player (like in tower defense), but a multi-layered batlle-plan that requires pinpoint accuracy and timing on the part of the player. I think Orcs Must Die! is a pretty special game because of that synergy.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

So, I had a really awful match in SMNC recently. The problem didn't lie with my own preternatural skills (naturally), but with my team. My team literally spent $0 during the course of the entire match with the exception of a few ejectors. So instead of rage-quitting like a regular griefer would do, I actively chased the other team for them to kill me. I know that what I did was absolutely deplorable and unsportsmanlike. I should be banned from ever playing the game again for what I did. The community should lift it's collective banhammer and remove from my steam account even the original MNC. I'm sorry for what I did, I will beg for your forgiveness if I must, and it won't happen again.

All that being said, how do you combat ignorance of a game's mechanics when you can't communicate fast enough? Teammates who don't know the power they hold in their hands, how do you tell them about when they refuse to do anything but type? If they would only heed my pleas, we could do a lot better than we did in that match, heck, we could even win one sometime. Alas, it was not meant to be. So I carry on, misplacing my anger on the assassin and all of my seething rage upon teammates who refuse to spend their money.

Anyway, I finished Orcs Must Die! recently. That was a very refreshing experience, similar to Borderlands. Like Borderlands, it mixed two things that I love very much (fast-paced action games with real-time strategy/tower defense) and made it into a brand new experience that I also enjoy a lot. The best parts are when you realize you can use a new strategy that you never thought of before. However, that strategy is no longer a static thing that requires little input from the player (like in tower defense), but a multi-layered batlle-plan that requires pinpoint accuracy and timing on the part of the player. I think Orcs Must Die! is a pretty special game because of that synergy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.