Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Turning off XBL Auto-Renewal?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By wefwefasdf

I've run into this problem several times while using Xbox Live but have usually been able to figure it out. My XBL membership is set to renew in about a month and I wanted to make sure it dosen't auto renew on my debit card. Since the Xbox.com site has been updated I haven't been able to find the answer. I've tried searching Google but all the questions that pop up are from 2009 before the site got updated.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? :P

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

You gotta call in now. That is all. There is no way to do it other wise. Ive tried. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" You gotta call in now. That is all. There is no way to do it other wise. Ive tried.  "

I'm not one to complain... but that is bullshit. Thanks for the info though.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

" You gotta call in now. That is all. There is no way to do it other wise. Ive tried.  "

I'm not one to complain... but that is bullshit. Thanks for the info though. "
    They refuse to do it other wise. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @The_Laughing_Man: It just seems weird to me that they removed the option. I guess they are hoping people won't call in or something? Gah.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: It just seems weird to me that they removed the option. I guess they are hoping people won't call in or something? Gah. "
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're hoping for. They want to make it as hard for you to get out of as possible. 
    FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

Note to self: Buy renewal cards. Don't use debit card.

DaveyPwnckett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaveyPwnckett
    @SpikeSpiegel: You can still turn it off from the website. Go to the "my xbox" tab and then click on accounts. Then click on "upgrade/manage account." It should bring you to a page with a box on the left hand side and next to "automatic renewal" click the green "On." Youll have to go through a bunch of bs afterwards showing you the benefits of xbox live  and then it finally gives you the option to turn it off lol
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DaveyPwnckett said:

" @SpikeSpiegel: You can still turn it off from the website. Go to the "my xbox" tab and then click on accounts. Then click on "upgrade/manage account." It should bring you to a page with a box on the left hand side and next to "automatic renewal" click the green "On." Youll have to go through a bunch of bs afterwards showing you the benefits of xbox live  and then it finally gives you the option to turn it off lol "

It does not give you that option any more. The site was changed and there is no longer the "On off thing"  

Your Account Summary

Gold – 1 Month

Renewal Date: 4/16/2011

Automatic Renewal:  On

No option at all.  

All the info you said was from the past site. Now you are REQUIRED to call in. There is no other way. 
    Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By Stefan

I had to call them as well. And they were also quite annoying when I did. They kept asking why I don't want Xbox Live anymore and tried to "interest me" in some deals etc. 

Zaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaft
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: It just seems weird to me that they removed the option. I guess they are hoping people won't call in or something? Gah. "
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they're hoping for. They want to make it as hard for you to get out of as possible.  "
    It's a good financial strategy. Most users will simply say "fuck it" and decide that it's not worth the trouble. Plus, this way, they can attempt to TALK you out of it, which requires you listening to them, instead of putting up text saying "BUT WAIT!" and letting you just scroll through it at mach 5, ignoring everything written there.

@TheSilentTruth said:
    " Note to self: Buy renewal cards. Don't use debit card. "
    Buy the subscription on Black Friday. It's 33% off for the entire year. I'd say that amount of savings is worth having to call in to cancel if you end up wanting too.
    DaveyPwnckett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaveyPwnckett
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    Hmm thats odd because I just  now used the website to turn automatic renewal off. My 1 month sub ran out at 12am today so I went ahead and renewed. I went straight to the website to turn off automatic renewal so I wouldnt forget haha.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DaveyPwnckett said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Hmm thats odd because I just  now used the website to turn automatic renewal off. My 1 month sub ran out at 12am today so I went ahead and renewed. I went straight to the website to turn off automatic renewal so I wouldnt forget haha. "

Ive even talked to the xbox twitter guys and they stated it can only be done via phone. Not net or via the 360.  

Even says it right here
    DaveyPwnckett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaveyPwnckett
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    Hmm. Wonder if the twitter guys got some bad info or didnt get a memo or something or maybe they actually havent updated the website yet lol. All I know is that it still works for me.
    lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lmenzol
    @SpikeSpiegel: call or go to billing.microsoft.com you can just erase the card from the system there
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60

Couldn't you just remove your card from the console? What would auto renewal renew from if there is no card on the account.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @lmenzol said:

" @SpikeSpiegel: call or go to billing.microsoft.com you can just erase the card from the system there "

I do not think that works either. You HAVE to call them. Its set up so it is as annoying as possible to do.   

@CL60

said:

" Couldn't you just remove your card from the console? What would auto renewal renew from if there is no card on the account. "

I wont let you leave the screen without having something in that section if I recall right.  

Or you could tell your bank to block the withdraws..course that might not end well.  

@Spike  You are in U.S I assume? 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

It seems different regions have different ways of handling this. 

U.S you have to call in. Seems MOST regions you have to call in. So said the Twitter xbox support dude. 

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fourby

I had to call when I had this issue. I told the gentleman that I was going to continue using his service, just through pre-paid cards instead of auto renew. He flipped the switch to turn it off immediately and bid me good day. No bullshit whatsoever, except that his Indian accent was super hard to understand.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FacelessVixen
    @Zaft: I would have went for that last year if I wasn't so intimidated by online multiplayer, so I bought GTA:SA while that was on sale, which finally filled the remaining space on my 20 GB hard drive.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, I'm in the U.S.. I'll just give them a call tomorrow and turn off the auto-renewal. Thanks for all the responses! 

@CL60 said:
    " Couldn't you just remove your card from the console? What would auto renewal renew from if there is no card on the account. "
    I would except they won't let you remove the card without replacing it with something else. :P
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By 234r2we232

I dunno. Any company that feels the need to program "auto-renewal" to be on by default has some serious issues with customer relations.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By XenoNick

It's a pain in the ass that you have to phone them. I did it last november and it took about 20 mins. Thankfullly the guy i spoke was fairly pleasent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.