Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox Live Price Raise

gormanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By gormanator

Well the cat's out of the bag. Microsoft announces a price rise in xbox live subscriptions and the internet does not disappoint with their whining and bitching. However, this elevation in price made me realize the little I have been playing online xbox games. I no longer wish to play online competitive shooters, and co-op is really the only online gameplay I enjoy, apart from Starcraft 2's competitive multiplayer. However, for many co-op centric titles, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Castle Crashers, and such, I find me to be the sole person in my group of friends who plays these games. I think it's time for me to move on, and finally build that gaming PC I've told myself I'm gonna build for a long time now. So long Xbox live, may you continue to appeal to prepubescent cursing preteens forever.

gormanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gormanator

Well the cat's out of the bag. Microsoft announces a price rise in xbox live subscriptions and the internet does not disappoint with their whining and bitching. However, this elevation in price made me realize the little I have been playing online xbox games. I no longer wish to play online competitive shooters, and co-op is really the only online gameplay I enjoy, apart from Starcraft 2's competitive multiplayer. However, for many co-op centric titles, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Castle Crashers, and such, I find me to be the sole person in my group of friends who plays these games. I think it's time for me to move on, and finally build that gaming PC I've told myself I'm gonna build for a long time now. So long Xbox live, may you continue to appeal to prepubescent cursing preteens forever.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PerryVandell

I don't really understand the big deal. It's 10 extra bucks for a year long service that they put on sale more often than I can count. There are far more important things in this world to get upset about.  

PS: This isn't really directed at you but the gaming community in general, just want to make sure that I don't come off as a guy who responds only to title threads.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Yeah, I have no problem, just ten more bucks for a whole year. When it reached $100 a year, then there's reason to panic.  

gormanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gormanator

I agree with you, my point was that the price rise made me realize how little I used the service, and how I should have left the service long ago.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Bullshit! It's not OK. I have a family of 5 and we all are on Live. That $300 per year for my family to play online! I would like the genius that came up with this idea of a price increase to explain to me why I shouldn't take that money and put it on a PS3 that features free online play. And don't give me all these great features XBox Live has. ESPN, Facebook, Twitter, Netfilx, Last FM don't mean shit to me. I don't use 'em and don't care about 'em. For the people that do, then you pay for those features and leave me out of it.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By louiedog
    @Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
    " Bullshit! It's not OK. I have a family of 5 and we all are on Live. That $300 per year for my family to play online! I would like the genius that came up with this idea of a price increase to explain to me why I shouldn't take that money and put it on a PS3 that features free online play. And don't give me all these great features XBox Live has. ESPN, Facebook, Twitter, Netfilx, Last FM don't mean shit to me. I don't use 'em and don't care about 'em. For the people that do, then you pay for those features and leave me out of it. "
    Actually, it will be $160. Microsoft is launching the family plans for $100 for up to four accounts.
    one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By one_2nd

It's less than a dollar per month increase, yet I'm reconsidering if I really need a gold account. 

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rebirth1337
    @gormanator:  This is the same way I feel. I'm pretty new to PC gaming, I've mostly been playing PC games since June, and when I look at my packed up Xbox I have no feeling to turn it on and play it. With Black ops coming out though I thought about renewing my XBLG because I enjoy playing and chatting with my friends over LiVE. But now that this $10 price raise has come into play I've started to think about how much I really use and what I'm getting out of my $50 bucks, now $60. We still don't have dedy servers and pay a butt load for 5 Call of Duty maps so why should I pay more for this when I'm still not getting basic things. I'd say give me dedy servers on all my LiVE games and I could forget about the extra $10 bucks but hell at this point I'll just make the switch to PC gaming and possible PS3 since I have one of those.
    gormanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gormanator
    @Dad_Is_A_Zombie: Have you thought about your whole family playing online games on one account? Is that really so hard?
    Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rebirth1337
    @TheCreamFilling:  $10 now, $10 more in a few years and so on. If people keep paying they will keep charging and making it more.
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@Gormanator: Everyone likes having their own account, achievements, and avatars etc. The service isn't the problem, it's about justifying a price increase for shit I don't care about. 

@Louiedog: If that family plan is true then... well I guess I won't be pissed anymore! :)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By crusader8463

I always thought it was ridiculous, dirty and wrong for them to charge a monthly fee for the service in the first place, and now that they are raising the price I could care even less about it.

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By XxBarretxX

Yeah this is just M$ wanting more money, nothing else. "but the money goes to my superior service." No it doesn't it goes to the stupid shit M$ spends millions on like temporary exclusive DLC. How about open a new studio or make a new exclusive game with the money

Also their reason is BS ESPN and VideoKinect are the reasons? Bullshit, PS3 will have Crackle, 4oD, the BBCiPlayer, MLB TV and some other Euro thing and they haven't forced a penny out of my wallet.

I wonder how appealing PSN is to some people now. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

so it is now $60 a year? dang that sucks. i stopped paying for xbox live for a while now. i realized that i never played online for a while. i stopped buying the xbox live cards. i find it stupid to pay for online when it is just p2p networking. 

i use to play wow but that was a lot better online. sure, there was lag sometimes but that was server side and they would fix it. xbox live it would be two people making it worse. Blizzard would update the servers all the time.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Andorski
    @XxBarretxX said:
    "   I wonder how appealing PSN is to some people now.  "
    I doubt consumer appeal will have any significant change.  Most people go where there friends are.
    Eckon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eckon

Some Math:

You guys complain about the raise which will be +/- $60. 
    Since i'm european,  converted it is: $60 to euro >  47 euros 

The year subscription in europe is 59.99 euros or 75 dollars. We always paid 75 dollars for a year subcription.  

So, to be fair, Europeans should pay less. You guys always had it a bit cheap don't you think ?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Eckon said:

" Some Math:

You guys complain about the raise which will be +/- $60. 
    Since i'm european,  converted it is: $60 to euro >  47 euros 

The year subscription in europe is 59.99 euros or 75 dollars. We always paid 75 dollars for a year subcription.   So, to be fair, Europeans should pay less. You guys always had it a bit cheap don't you think ? "

That is true, but it kind of a narrow minded way of looking at it. But i totally agree that is sucks it been that way, and i guess our EU prices will go up now as well. That said i  canceled  my gold account a long time ago now, after having payed for XBL for 5 years. The thing that angers me the most here in the EU and my  country  in particular, its not that the EU subscription always have cost more, is the lack of content  that's  being served, i reached the part where i no longer could justify paying the fee just to play online, i can do that on my PC and PS3 for free, plus i still get the same demos and the game trailers i watch online anyhow. So essentially i was only  paying  for the  privilege  of playing online.
    Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scullinator

Awesome.  Looks like all the "prepubescent cursing preteens" are moving over to PS3 now.  Microsoft should have raised the price years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@one_2nd said:
    " It's less than a dollar per month increase, yet I'm reconsidering if I really need a gold account.  "
    This.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Franstone

If anything the price should go down after gaining millions of members... 
    I don't understand why they would do this (besides the obvious), they are making a shit-ton of money from live as it is.
    I think it's a horrible move by them (morally)  but it doesn't realy matter cuz people will still pay it.   

I'm glad I don't have to worry about that till Oct 2011 since I jumped on the $39.99 discounted price as soon as I saw it. 

Another great example of greedy companies and the rich staying richer!
    Keepin the fat-fingered CEOs nice and plump!
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Jedted

Seeing how i don't play many mulitplayer games on XBL i geuss i'll be saying goodbye to my Gold account aswell. 

It's a shame that M$ has to be so greedy but that's capitalism for ya. 
    Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bluethunder35

Ehhh....when it's all said and done, people will just pay the extra $10. Why? It's because we video gamers are weak-minded. The Xbox 360 fanboys seem to revolve their entire lives around video gaming. They aren't going to give up online play. 

Heck, these guys probably are paid up for years and are just complaining online because they have nothing else to do since their 360 is in the shop. 

Remember, Microsoft saved the video game industry from oblivion in their opinion. If it weren't for their efforts regarding the Xbox 360, 12 year-old boys wouldn't have an outlet to spew their pathetic vitriol to an audience. Pay up, guys! *SARCASM* 

I've never understood why MS makes models of the 360 with a 4 GB hard drive, outsources their customer service or need to raise prices on their ad-laden online service. Oh, I know why...because people tolerate it in fear of being ostracized by their "e-friends" online. 

Honestly, I like the 360. I have one and I play it 40% of the time. However, this console is far from a "success" for MS. The revisionists, when the time comes to retire the console and they discuss its place in history, will probably write more BS about it then what I would find at the barns at the Canadian Experimental Farm. They will call it the greatest console ever made and say it has the greatest library of games, retail and arcade, ever. They will talk about how awesome XBL Gold is. They will just leave out the inconvenient truths.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deusdigit
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " I don't really understand the big deal. It's 10 extra bucks for a year long service that they put on sale more often than I can count. There are far more important things in this world to get upset about.   PS: This isn't really directed at you but the gaming community in general, just want to make sure that I don't come off as a guy who responds only to title threads. "
    It all depends on how well you communicate with the price and how much you use the service. personally i disagree with the price increase because of the economical situation and the universal price structure that is appealing enough that enough profit is generated to begin with.  If it was a few dollar increase or a tax increase on the yearly or monthly subscription then it wouldn't be as big of a issue. But a full ten dollars factoring out the money you may or may not have to be able to purchase additional content for your games is heart felt.

Dedicated xbox live subscribers will no doubt generally accept the price increase. but i was actually planning on getting xbox live within the next few months, now i am reconsidering it and just going back to playing playstation3 online. and of course the steam community on the pc is also amazing.
    donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By donwoogie
    @gormanator: 
    Nothing beats going online and pretending to be a prepubescent teen, cursing to your heart's desire, and doing your best to piss people off in any manner just short of being kicked from the server.........
    If you can annoy someone to the point where they TK you and you can kick them, you have reached Nirvana.
    gormanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gormanator
    @donwoogie: I respectfully completely disagree with that statement
    donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By donwoogie
    @gormanator: 
    Each to their own.  There is a certain ingenuity to my tactics, it's no cake walk.
    Warhawk and Rainbow Six Vegas probably provide the best opportunities.  Halo is pretty good too.
    Come on! Deep down, everyone enjoys pissing other people off in online gaming :P
    platinumflea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By platinumflea
    @Franstone: but it will be ok because when to zombies come the fat fingered will go first.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Well if you don't play that much XBL, that's fine.

TSchonbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By TSchonbeck
    @TheCreamFilling said:
    " Yeah, I have no problem, just ten more bucks for a whole year. When it reached $100 a year, then there's reason to panic.   "
    I feel the same way.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By Catolf
    @TSchonbeck said:
    " @TheCreamFilling said:
    " Yeah, I have no problem, just ten more bucks for a whole year. When it reached $100 a year, then there's reason to panic.   "
    I feel the same way. "
    this only goes to show your willing to pay ridiculous prices to play online..XP Sorry, I'm not made of money, I won't be paying it, but you guys won't have a problem with it's 95$ a year it's 100$ that makes you draw the line right?
    Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Zlimness
    I could understand the price hike if they did something with the service. Instead they say: "Hey, we raised the price by 20% and you get nothing back. We need to finance our time-exclusive map packs for Modern Warfare 2 you know. This shit isn't free!"

That's not the main reason why I refrain from renewing my Gold account though.  I play periodically online so I want to revert Silver membership from time to time. But it's such a hassle to cancel a Gold membership. I'm tired of having to call MS every time I want Silver back. Such a dick strategy to conduct business in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.