Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Rumor: Windows 8 apps can run on Xbox One.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexGlass

Hmmm... any app?

No Caption Provided

Windows 8

Consider the game officially changed. With all

your favorite Windows 8 apps able to be run on

and synced to your Xbox One, now your phone,

desktop, tablet and TV can all give you a unified

web and entertainment experience.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/viewer.php?mode=article&id=37246#

So any emulator, games like Halo Spartan Assault, indie games....Sonic Fan Game Remixes too? All of that? Hard to believe.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is true MS office could work on X1?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

First app i'll run

No Caption Provided

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Rumor? I thought this was a no brainer.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rumor? I thought this was a no brainer.

MS giving console gamers freedom and relinquishing controller a no brainer? Think of the children!

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That seems a bit crazy. All windows apps will natively run on xbox one? Maybe something in the development tools that makes it easy to port to the console. I'm assuming there will be a dedicated App Store on the console if this is the case.

So developers making windows phone or tablet games will be able to have those same games run on the Xbox one as well? With full controller support?

If they can make windows phone more appealing to people, it could be a huge deal. They are definitely thinking about this long term. If done properly, a unified system between a phone, PC and console could finally create the connected household that Microsoft so desperately wants.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlexGlass

@syed117 said:

That seems a bit crazy. All windows apps will natively run on xbox one? Maybe something in the development tools that makes it easy to port to the console. I'm assuming there will be a dedicated App Store on the console if this is the case.

So developers making windows phone or tablet games will be able to have those same games run on the Xbox one as well? With full controller support?

If they can make windows phone more appealing to people, it could be a huge deal. They are definitely thinking about this long term. If done properly, a unified system between a phone, PC and console could finally create the connected household that Microsoft so desperately wants.

Or Windows 8 emulators or other apps. I wonder if some of the FTP Windows games could run too like.... Pangya on Xbox One would be pretty bad ass. I still play that game. Sounds a bit too good to be true.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

MetroTube, Giant Bomb

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

I'm fairly certain this was talked about way back when the X1 was revealed. They are making it so that the border between Windows 8 and Xbox apps will be completely transparent so you can run any app on either system. This opens up a lot of opportunities. Thankfully I fucking love Windows 8.1, I think it's the best OS around so this is good news.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing Microsoft has always been known for is their core and extensive platform support so it should be no surprise it is supposed to be easy to build/rebuild "Metro Apps" into Win Phone 8 or XBox One apps. That doesn't mean anything that runs on Win8 will automatically will run on XBox One where it will be more handy for app style software.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same kernel and same base platform, seems pretty likely to me.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@guanophobic: Same here. Why the heck would they even go the 3 OS route if they can't run the apps from the appstore? Obviously they want to push their appstore to rival apple (and steam). That requires them to get as many customers on board as possible. I always though that was given.

What I would like to see is how they translate the touch/mouse+kb interface of most apps to a kinect+gamepad interface.

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GIyn

I hope it will work the other way, and the pc gets a gaming interface/marketplace as good as xbox one. So the same system / friends is easily usable. not gfwl

Edit- http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Live/PC/DownloadClient - Looks like Microsoft is going to let Steam take all the glory?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not the same kernel or base platform otherwise it would represent a huge opportunity to exploit two platforms where one is clearly more valuable than the other. It is just sharing the client side interface which is light weight. You can probably crank out a "Giant Bomb App" for Metro right now which would in theory be easy to show on XBox One and WinPhone 8.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

Its not the same kernel or base platform otherwise it would represent a huge opportunity to exploit two platforms where one is clearly more valuable than the other. It is just sharing the client side interface which is light weight. You can probably crank out a "Giant Bomb App" for Metro right now which would in theory be easy to show on XBox One and WinPhone 8.

It is the same kernel, significantly different feature set and a bunch of customization for the hardware but deep down in there it's using Kernel 6.2

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By flippyandnod

I'm certain that Metro apps can run on XBox One. In fact it's obvious that when you do the "split screen" thing the other virtualized OS is a form of Windows 8.

You most certainly will not be able to play non-Metro Windows apps on Xbox One.

I strongly suspect that MS' Indy dev program just encourages people to make Metro apps and sell them to Xbox One users.

AlexGlass: No so fast on the relinquishing control thing. The entire environment will be one of Trusted Computing, and you can be certain you can only run apps you buy/download from the Windows store. That still means MS has to approve apps before you can run them. None of those emulators mentioned in the OP will be approved by MS. Well, probably they won't.

It'll be as open as Windows RT or Windows Phone, basically.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Most metro (correction: Modern) apps are C# or HTML5 based, so I'm not entirely surprised it would work with XBO's native OS, if true.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm certain that Metro apps can run on XBox One. In fact it's obvious that when you do the "split screen" thing the other virtualized OS is a form of Windows 8.

You most certainly will not be able to play non-Metro Windows apps on Xbox One.

I strongly suspect that MS' Indy dev program just encourages people to make Metro apps and sell them to Xbox One users.

AlexGlass: No so fast on the relinquishing control thing. The entire environment will be one of Trusted Computing, and you can be certain you can only run apps you buy/download from the Windows store. That still means MS has to approve apps before you can run them. None of those emulators mentioned in the OP will be approved by MS. Well, probably they won't.

It'll be as open as Windows RT or Windows Phone, basically.

Yeah that is true. But I was remembering there a story a little while ago about somebody selling Nintendo copyrighted stuff on Windows Store and MS basically saying Nintendo needs to put in a request. So I was thinking maybe it's not so monitored.

Nintendo ripoffs are common place on mobile marketplaces, but as of late, it seems as though a flood of such games have hit the Windows Store. Mario Jump!, Bowser Town Defense, Pokemon Attack!, and Yoshijump have all been spotted, none of which should be permitted due to their violation of the rules.

“With regards to trademark infringement, with every app there is an option to report the app for violating the Windows Store’s Terms of Use. If a company feels a Windows Store app is infringing on their copyrights or trademarks, they should report the app and we will take immediate action to determine if the app should be removed from the Windows Store.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/microsoft-advises-nintendo-to-report-ripoffs-on-windows-store/

I mean stuff like that got by too.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlexGlass
    audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I don't even run any Windows 8 apps on my Windows 8 laptop. If it can't even run all of them, it seems like a pretty minor functionality on our end. It's probably just Skype and stuff like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.