Ben Pack Appreciation Thread

Amingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Good luck Ben. You and Jeff joking backing and forth was funny as hell.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

I guess this means we won't ever see the return of the All Hero Challenge. I'm sad. Be(n)st of luck out there.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more Jan and Ben content makes me sad :(

Good luck Ben, wishing you great things!

sizzlerxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the energy ben brought to everything! You'll be missed.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Bye Ben, best of luck to you and your future endeavours. Please come and visit from time to time!

Enjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Enjay

I had so much fun watching Bens content. I think my favorite memory was the Quiet Man Extra Life Stream. "Mom's dead parkour!" is the kind of chaotic good we need in the world.

Best of luck to you and your new journey!

Bukktown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben always made me laugh. Best wishes to him!

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

@nicolasvh: Oh, I'm definitely not.

I'm kind of including Dan in my number of people bled over the last year; Dan, Abby, and Ben. Drew was a couple years ago.

SpectralCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That moment where you and Jan were flipping through your school notebook and you drew a Diglett that was the size of a skyscraper, and Jan said something like, ‘I’m beginning to understand young Ben.’

Also Ranking of Fighters and Ben Apetit. You will be missed, Ben.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

All the best, junior scientist, wherever and whatever you do.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By HeelBill

Real talk, I didn't like Ben at first and I found the Kingdom Heartache bit really, really annoying. But then, he found his voice seemingly overnight and I just could not get enough of his input. As someone else stated, I was generally bummed when he wasn't on the Bombcast any given week for the past couple of years. I will especially miss his willingness to try out games that were outside of the normal GB wheelhouse, especially multiplayer stuff and also his unique sense of humor. Thank you for championing Disco Elysium, a game I feel like will impact games, at least CRPGs, for years to come. I will miss your tall self buddy.

And as someone that deleted twitter about 5 years ago and don't even have a public facing job, I don't blame you for wanting to lay low social media wise. It's not worth it IMHO. Cheers to your future!

Fluidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: “definitely can’t blame anyone for wanting to jump out of the social media treadmill”

I’ve been spending time lately thinking about whether there is any actual level of “famous” that I would enjoy despite wanting to be famous. I don’t WANT to be... but deep down I sorta want to be. Or I think I want to be. But I have no idea why. And almost every aspect of it sounds like it would be miserable.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By mikachops

All the best to Ben. Hope he understands he was a part of one of the best periods in GB, and was probably the glue holding together the west coast for a couple years there, content and energy wise.

Kingdom Heartache is lowkey a top tier series. Fuck the haters.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fedallah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to miss this guy. A lot.

Good luck man, and kick ass at whatever you're moving on to.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck Ben, and thanks for the hours of entertainment you’ve provided.

@toughshed: GotY made sense back when the site formed and the Western gaming zeitgeist basically revolved around the Xbox 360. Nowadays with such a breadth of releases it feels like folks are talking past each other with differing gaming experiences. It doesn’t feel like a spirited debate over common ground like it used to. And honestly that’s fine. Gaming is in a much better place than it was in 2008, but this whole concept of a monoculture awarding a “best” game for a given year just feels outdated.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry to see him go.

With all of the turnover at Giant Bomb in recent years, I wonder if that's indicative of their industry as a whole?

Symbyosys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben, you brought so many good vibes to everything you did. So many smiles on my face. I love your approach to games and how you discuss them, but also you just know how to have a good time. Loved hanging out. Good luck in anything you do man!! Peace!!

Capstan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to see you go, Ben. I feel you were really hitting your stride in the last year or two. Best wishes in your future endeavors!

Avatar image for dollarsandcents
dollarsANDcents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck Ben! You will be greatly missed!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#229  Edited By Mezmero

Wishing Ben the best of luck. He was a treasure in his own way and I greatly appreciated what he brought to the table. Take it easy big man. Don't be a stranger.

Loading Video...

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the departures of Drew, Austin, Dan, Abby, and now Ben, I can't help but wonder what their salary is/was. Obviously the original bombers got stock options with the buyout, but what are they paying the other duders? I am totally ignorant on the going rate for an internet video content editor. Must not be a lot if it is attracting those looking for more opportunities.

I don't know if this thread is the place for such speculation, but Klepek said his salary at GB was 65k with no raises

dizzie_lizzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'all are not real good at following instructions. This is not the place for weird speculation about things we don't actually know and probably never will. Please stop making this weird.

Jam8o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye Ben, good luck, thanks for all the laughs 👍🏼

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thank you so much for all the great content over the years Ben! I always felt like you did a fantastic job being a bridge for us non-anime people to be able to appreciate stuff like that, and in pandemic times, as I seek out new things, it was very much appreciated. You brought a great energy to the table and I'll miss it when it's gone. Good luck with whatever comes next! I know you'll kill it!

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You've been a kind, genuine personality here and I have always appreciated your enthusiasm. Good luck in your future endeavors!

TehSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben's lens Ben's lense Ben's lense Ben's lensebenslensbenslensbenlenbeles

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#236 FinalDasa  Moderator

Again. This is not a place to wildly speculate and guess who, what, when, where, or why. Especially when you're guessing someone's salary or personal life.

I get it, you care about the site and the people who work on it. But that doesn't give you the right to openly pry and speculate about someone's life. Nor is this thread the place for such speculation.

All speculation will be deleted.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben, you really brought the best pure gamer skills to the crew. Hope you'll find joy and success in the next phase of your life. Thank you again, will miss your bursts of laughter.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck Ben!

You will be missed, I will definitely miss the great energy with Jan and Abby...

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: Besides, we already know Ben has been hired by WWE with Dan's behest to be their new giant, the Ben Show and he's slated to win their world championship at Wrestlemania.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#240 FinalDasa  Moderator

@retris: That's just ridiculous. Ben is clearly going to AEW.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Shindig

He's clearly crunching his Super Mario World speedruns for SGDQ.

EdenC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take care out there, Ben! Really enjoyed your humor and voice here on Giant Bomb! Thank you ⭐️

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Ben's Lens, Ben Appetite, The Aftershow, Breakfast 'n' Ben, y'all will be missed! Thank for all the work you put in over the years, and best of luck on what you choose to do next. :)

Crazy_Tinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Crazy_Tinker

Sad we will never see the completion of Kingdom Heartbreak (EDIT Heartache? my bad). I guess Ranking of Fighters will need a new intern now (just make sure they don't get paid, as wouldn't be fair to Ben otherwise...). Bens Lens won't be the same without Ben either... ;)

Best of luck Ben where ever life takes you next!

Avatar image for deactivated-6083372d228b1
deactivated-6083372d228b1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best of luck Ben thank you for the quality stoner laugh and the emoji.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ben will be sorely missed. I've been a fan since he was an intern and he was always entertaining. His chemistry with the crew, especially Jan, Abby and Jeff, was special as well. I wish him nothing but the best and am very happy for him.

After reading some of his reasons for leaving, and seeing that a few other people have left for similar reasons, I feel bad for being a passive viewer and not letting everyone know how much I enjoy their work. It is terrible some of the things they have to put up with and I couldn't imagine the toll this job has on your mental health.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ben's absence is going to cast a long shadow across GB west...

The next new hire is going to have some big shoes to fill...

Equaling Ben's balance of enthusiasm and irreverence is going to be a tall act to follow...

And that's all the tall jokes I got. Love you Ben. Stay real in whatever you do.

owlnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading some of his reasons for leaving, and seeing that a few other people have left for similar reasons, I feel bad for being a passive viewer and not letting everyone know how much I enjoy their work. It is terrible some of the things they have to put up with and I couldn't imagine the toll this job has on your mental health.

I hear you, I'm a passive viewer as well, but I don't think we should feel bad about that. The problems aren't passive viewers, it's the negative/toxic active viewers. I'm disgusted at the antagonistic and even maliciously mean behavior that gets directed at staff. Whether on-site or off (twitter, etc.), by paying members or not, there is no excuse for treating them like that, OVER VIDEO GAMES, ffs!!

The tragic irony of Ben (and likely others) feeling like they need to be 'on' all the time, is that it's the exact opposite of what I want out of GB. I most enjoy an environment where the staff are genuinely comfortable, without pretense, and able to be themselves in a sustainable and healthy way, without worrying about what kind of twitter shitstorm they're going to wake up to the next day over having done their job.

Bottom line: Ben is another casualty of the fact that humans are garbage and the internet is the miraclegrow on our awfulness.

Also: Ben you're the best. Stay Bentastic. May you never tweet again and live a long and happy life.