Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

1C Company

Company »

1C Company is one of the largest Russian software developers / publishers.

The 1C Complete Pack and Me. King's Bountry: The Legend.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By AlexW00d

Another TBSRPG. Yes I may have coined that term.

Spirits of Rage.

So, in the Fantasy Wars post the other day, I said it was like HoMM; I was kinda wrong. This is like HoMM. Or what I should say is, this is the reboot of the game that spawned HoMM. King’s Bounty was a game developed by New World Computing in 1990, who used it as a basis for the HoMM games, with the Might and Magic games obviously being where the world and mythos came from.

The game is a turn based strategy RPG game; where you play as a Hero character, whom you can level up, and you can control your army of units against another character’s army of units. You fight on a gridded arena, as opposed to an open map like the last game, which is very reminiscent if you know HoMM but not this game.

This and Fantasy Wars are similar though; the unit types for example are largely similar, although, a lot of games have similar unit types. You have warrior units, magic casting units, agility units, etc, and you battle against similar units from the enemy.

The magic based units seem to have a nice big spellbook to choose from, with various types of spell, allowing for varied magic based combat.

There was an overworld style thing where you gather bits of story, and gather some loot, and further the game along. In the middle of the map there’s an NPC who you talk to and he will open up new rooms for you to go into and face off against the enemies.

I went through a couple of missions, fortunately destroying my enemies somewhat easily; although I did lose a couple of the weaker units. I gained some gold and loot from defeating the enemies, but I was unable to use any in the time I played. On the topic of how much I played... I didn’t really like the game; the game seemed a pretty good game, did everything it was trying to do well, but it’s really not my kind of game. I don’t really like turn based games, and find them mostly boring, especially with an arena setting like this one.

Annoyingly, it would not run with the steam overlay, so I was unable to use that to gather screenshots, and I just couldn’t be bothered to run FRAPS to capture them with that, sorry.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By AlexW00d

Another TBSRPG. Yes I may have coined that term.

Spirits of Rage.

So, in the Fantasy Wars post the other day, I said it was like HoMM; I was kinda wrong. This is like HoMM. Or what I should say is, this is the reboot of the game that spawned HoMM. King’s Bounty was a game developed by New World Computing in 1990, who used it as a basis for the HoMM games, with the Might and Magic games obviously being where the world and mythos came from.

The game is a turn based strategy RPG game; where you play as a Hero character, whom you can level up, and you can control your army of units against another character’s army of units. You fight on a gridded arena, as opposed to an open map like the last game, which is very reminiscent if you know HoMM but not this game.

This and Fantasy Wars are similar though; the unit types for example are largely similar, although, a lot of games have similar unit types. You have warrior units, magic casting units, agility units, etc, and you battle against similar units from the enemy.

The magic based units seem to have a nice big spellbook to choose from, with various types of spell, allowing for varied magic based combat.

There was an overworld style thing where you gather bits of story, and gather some loot, and further the game along. In the middle of the map there’s an NPC who you talk to and he will open up new rooms for you to go into and face off against the enemies.

I went through a couple of missions, fortunately destroying my enemies somewhat easily; although I did lose a couple of the weaker units. I gained some gold and loot from defeating the enemies, but I was unable to use any in the time I played. On the topic of how much I played... I didn’t really like the game; the game seemed a pretty good game, did everything it was trying to do well, but it’s really not my kind of game. I don’t really like turn based games, and find them mostly boring, especially with an arena setting like this one.

Annoyingly, it would not run with the steam overlay, so I was unable to use that to gather screenshots, and I just couldn’t be bothered to run FRAPS to capture them with that, sorry.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

For the record, I do read these, but my knowledge on most 1C published games is somewhat lacking, which is why I don't comment. On this however, I can and will do so thusly.

I have played an absolute shit ton of both King's Bounty The Legend and its pseudo-sequel/standalone expansion Armored Princess (and its mini expansion Crossworlds), and I really like both of those games as adaptions of the Heroes of Might and Magic formula. They're not without their faults, for one I could do without the random difficulty spikes that force me to surgically take out enemy armies so I could level up and get more leadership etc, etc, but if you like Heroes of Might and Magic then theoretically this scratches a lot of the same itches, albeit with more of a RPG and less of a Strategy bent. However, if you aren't into those kinds of games, it is most definitely that kind of game.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Akrid

I actually did play this. I really didn't like it. It's annoyed me greatly, because each unit has X amount of troops. Each troop does small amounts of damage that accumulate into decent damage. But as those troops begin to inevitably die, you're unit gets weaker, eventually to the point where they're completely useless on the battlefield. What's more, you then have to go back to town and pay a tidy sum to get your troops back. From the small amount I played, there was very little skill involved, so there was no opportunity to try my best to keep this from happening. The only way I found I could prevent more troops from dying is by using spells, but then those cost money. The fact that there is no optimal way to get through a battle always really bums me out in games, and having me pay for that right after is just adding insult to injury.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.