Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Achievements Most Wanted: 7/11 - 7/17

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

You know, I do this because I care. And I care because data really gets me going. So here's the third week of achievement data for Giant Bomb. I'm curious to see if Prototype has slipped any further. So let's start with the top ten games, then I'll let you know what's new, and then we'll get into individual achievements.

Man, I so don't have any clever Ghostbusters quips left for captions or headlines. 
    Man, I so don't have any clever Ghostbusters quips left for captions or headlines. 

Top Ten Achievement Sets - 7/11 - 7/17

1. Ghostbusters: The Video Game
    2. Trine
    3. Prototype
    4. Red Faction: Guerrilla
    5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
    6. The Secret of Monkey Island SE
    7. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    8. Fight Night Round 4
    9. UFC 2009 Undisputed
    10. Battlefield 1943
    OK, so we've got some debuts this week in that list, including some Xbox Live Arcade stuff. Prototype's still holding strong, and Ghostbusters is proving that it's got some lasting power by claiming the top spot. Wild. Here's what's new on the site, achievement-wise: 

In the Special Edition, LeChuck shoots first. 

New Achievement Sets - 7/11 - 7/17

Yes, even though that Tour de France game supposedly also came out this week, ZERO people have played it. Or, at least, zero people with their Xbox Live accounts synched up to Giant Bomb. So the achievements haven't fed into our system yet. Funny. But what about individual achievements? That list doesn't look like it's changed all that much.

Top Ten Individual Achievements - 7/11 - 7/17

1. Prototype - Self-Deception
    2. Ghostbusters: The Video Game - I Love You When You Rough-House!
    3. Fable II - The Fowl Player
    4. Red Faction: Guerrilla - Revolutionary
    5. Prototype - Return Fire
    6. Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Ghostbusters Drinking Game
    7. Prototype - Web Of Knowledge
    8. Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Egon's Guinea Pig
    9. UFC 2009 Undisputed - That was easy!
    10. UFC 2009 Undisputed - World Class Grappler
     ADDED BONUS FACT! These ten achievements the same ten achievements that made up last week's list, but last week UFC was a bit higher and Red Faction's Revolutionary was a bit lower. Hmm.

Behind the scenes, we've gained the ability to rename some of the game titles used in our achievements list. This means we'll be able to plainly say "Street Fighter IV" and "Street Fighter IV (PC)" instead of the way they list on xbox.com, where both simply say "Street Fighter IV." I've been working my way through the list and figuring out what's what as I rename stuff for clarity's sake.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

You know, I do this because I care. And I care because data really gets me going. So here's the third week of achievement data for Giant Bomb. I'm curious to see if Prototype has slipped any further. So let's start with the top ten games, then I'll let you know what's new, and then we'll get into individual achievements.

Top Ten Achievement Sets - 7/11 - 7/17

1. Ghostbusters: The Video Game
    2. Trine
    3. Prototype
    4. Red Faction: Guerrilla
    5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
    6. The Secret of Monkey Island SE
    7. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    8. Fight Night Round 4
    9. UFC 2009 Undisputed
    10. Battlefield 1943
    OK, so we've got some debuts this week in that list, including some Xbox Live Arcade stuff. Prototype's still holding strong, and Ghostbusters is proving that it's got some lasting power by claiming the top spot. Wild. Here's what's new on the site, achievement-wise: 

New Achievement Sets - 7/11 - 7/17

Yes, even though that Tour de France game supposedly also came out this week, ZERO people have played it. Or, at least, zero people with their Xbox Live accounts synched up to Giant Bomb. So the achievements haven't fed into our system yet. Funny. But what about individual achievements? That list doesn't look like it's changed all that much.

Top Ten Individual Achievements - 7/11 - 7/17

1. Prototype - Self-Deception
    2. Ghostbusters: The Video Game - I Love You When You Rough-House!
    3. Fable II - The Fowl Player
    4. Red Faction: Guerrilla - Revolutionary
    5. Prototype - Return Fire
    6. Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Ghostbusters Drinking Game
    7. Prototype - Web Of Knowledge
    8. Ghostbusters: The Video Game - Egon's Guinea Pig
    9. UFC 2009 Undisputed - That was easy!
    10. UFC 2009 Undisputed - World Class Grappler
     ADDED BONUS FACT! These ten achievements the same ten achievements that made up last week's list, but last week UFC was a bit higher and Red Faction's Revolutionary was a bit lower. Hmm.

Behind the scenes, we've gained the ability to rename some of the game titles used in our achievements list. This means we'll be able to plainly say "Street Fighter IV" and "Street Fighter IV (PC)" instead of the way they list on xbox.com, where both simply say "Street Fighter IV." I've been working my way through the list and figuring out what's what as I rename stuff for clarity's sake.
    samman6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By samman6

Wait Giant bomb tracks achievements like this??? that is pretty slick

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nanikore

Oh Jeff, you and your silly lists.

soybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By soybob

No one, not even one person played Tour de France? To be honest, I didn't either.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By KillaMaStA

Im telling you man, dont link the individual achievments. If you do, you will have the same list for the next 3 years.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeff
    @KillaMaStA said:
    " Im telling you man, dont link the individual achievments. If you do, you will have the same list for the next 3 years. "
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that I'm just creating an endless cycle with that stuff. Depending on how next week's lists look, I'll probably drop the links.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By metal_mills
    @Jeff said:
    " @KillaMaStA said:
    " Im telling you man, dont link the individual achievments. If you do, you will have the same list for the next 3 years. "
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that I'm just creating an endless cycle with that stuff. Depending on how next week's lists look, I'll probably drop the links. "
    Maybe do it once per month?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper
    That made me spit out my drink.
    HawkSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By HawkSE
    @nanikore said:
    " Oh Jeff, you and your awesome, time well-spent lists. "
    Corrected.
    MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Love these things, really helps the community bond a little more. Also, you probably have sold at least one copy of Tour de France because of this article (not me, but someone will make the sacrifice). Can't wait for PS3 Trophy integration.

Skwid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skwid

I think these lists show the impact of the Giant Bombcast on your listeners' and readers' playing preferences.  I know I've definitely checked out a couple games via Gamefly that I wouldn't have if you guys had not had such interesting discussions about them on the podcast (Prototype is a recent example for me).  It could also be a factor of there just not being a whole lot of really compelling new stuff out there, but a few really solid titles worth playing.  It will definitely be interesting to see how things roll when the craziness hits in Q4 and there's an overload of games.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo

I love talking about achievements but I feel this will just keep displaying the new games of each week. To me this list is uninteresting and inspires nothing within my inner achievement whore. I say your weekly article should maybe be like a mini achievement guide of tips and tricks for specific ones. Can't honestly complain about the work you've been doing ultimately, so I'll just leave it at that.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Jeft, you really care because you're an achievement snatcher at heart...just like all of us.  = D

Red Faction Guerrilla - me, StarFoxA, and Metroid545 are working hard to 1K that game before the DLC hits.  You should join us sometime.  It's great fun!  = D
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You see that monkey island screenshot? I took that screenshot. A screenshot I took is in Jeff's article. Life is awesome!!!! (OK, it's not a huge deal, but if there was ever a time for blowing something completely out of proportion, this is it).

WOOOOOOHAAAAAAAA!!!!!! MY SCREENSHOT IS IN THIS ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE WORSHIP ME!!!!!!!! I AM YOUR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOW DOWN AT MY FEET FOR I AM KING OF ALL THE LAND, AND YOU WILL WORSHIP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16  Edited By sjschmidt93

Why is Prototype still on there? The game isn't even that good.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @MattyFTM said:
    " You see that monkey island screenshot? I took that screenshot. A screenshot I took is in Jeff's article. Life is awesome!!!! (OK, it's not a huge deal, but if there was ever a time for blowing something completely out of proportion, this is it).WOOOOOOHAAAAAAAA!!!!!! MY SCREENSHOT IS IN THIS ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE WORSHIP ME!!!!!!!! I AM YOUR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOW DOWN AT MY FEET FOR I AM KING OF ALL THE LAND, AND YOU WILL WORSHIP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
    Hey everyone!! Matty is the new messiah!! His picture got featured in an article of Jeff's!! WOO!
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Coltonio7

God damn those Prototype achievements

Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Robiin

I am such an achievement whore. I love these type of things. Giant bomb is beginning to replace MyGamerCard.net :D

BTW, just snatched that little Mile High Club an hour ago. WOW ME! A couple years late you say? :(

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Media_Master

Yup, those are lists

gcwright90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gcwright90
    @jakob187:

Yeah, 1001Puppys and I are working hard to 1k the game before the DLC, and Wolfenstein hits store shelves.
    tychoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tychoon

Most wanted for me at the moment is Geometry Wars 2 200/200. Wax off and smile are giving me headaches.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Maybe the individual achievement list would be better if you ignored anything that turned up in last weeks list or maybe if you didn't give links to the achievements in the top 20.  I suppose it's also got a lot to do with the lack of games being released right now.

I love that nobody has played Tour de France.  Seriously that's awesome.
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By raidingkvatch

I wonder how much this shows the popularity of these games in general as opposed to their popularity on Giant Bomb, i.e. how reflective is the Giant Bomb userbase of the gamer market as a whole?

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ElectricHaggis

If trophies are integrated, I'll really need to start earning some.  I'm only at level 4 or something just now.

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DerekDanahy

There's a Tour de France game out? What the hell.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By valiantgoat

Thought I'd let you know I love these weekly stats, so pleace...go on.  :)

Spaceyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Spaceyoghurt

Great list dude! I have a slight case of the mondays, so this one cheered me up quite a bit. :D

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

Should be worth mentioning that  BF1943 coming in the any top 10 achievement list at all is kinda surprising if you've seen the list and played the game. It's kind of a cake walk with the only real achievement that feels like it's been awarded for actually achieving something is the Tour of Duty II one (finish 100 matches). Granted some of the Stamps and especially Postcards feel like real achievements or trophies, the problem is that you're not rewarded for them outside of the game (unless one counts ogling his/her pointlessly perfect stats page a reward; unlike ogling one's equally pointless gamerscore -- apparently).

I do admit I appreciate there's no achievement for 10002 kills like in BFBC. But it seems like EA DICE didn't expect this game to sell nearly as well as it did. Or at least not last very long, which is still yet to see. I just hope they're allowed to include more achievements/trophies in the surely-to-be-forthcoming-if-they-want-the-product-to-last DLC map packs. Has this been done before? I don't own any games that have received any map packs (COD, Gears) aside from the initial BFBC (whicn BTW was both free and promised before the initial retail release; so no achievements could be expected) so I really don't know.

But since all the Battlefield stat progress is tracked on the back end, and since there's more and more games released on EA Download Manager, I wouldn't be too surprised if EA eventually launched their own PC achievement system at some point down the line. They haven't fully adopted the GFWL system yet, nor have they fully embraced the strong-holding Steam.

g00z3m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By g00z3m4n

Why exactly is there a picture of Barton freakin Fink next to this article??? Hahaha... That is Barton is it not?!?

edit: never mind I guess it's Harold Remis... Striking resemblence!!! :D

eduardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By eduardo

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.